• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
An engineering sample 8c/16t Zen 2-based Ryzen processor with unspecified clock rate matches the 9900K in performance at half the power, and somehow the Intel nuthuggers still claim they're superior.

I guess I was right when I said the 3850X is going to put them in a coma :p

But for now I'm out, I can't take much more of DG, easyrider et al fluffing their precious Blue Team and stamping their tiny little feet.

Unwatching; see you at Computex when these bad boys properly launch and make the Intel fangirls sob.

So it’s now using half the power?

You just made that up

Indeed 95w at 4.2GHz is blooming good for 14nm across all 8c/16t, but the key to any real future comparison needs to be within the manufacturer specified limits, not that of a motherboard vendor with a tweaked BIOS.
Agreed...but you know that we'll never get that. The reason being, AMD list XFR2 as a spec function, whereas with Intel you get the motherboard makers mimicking it's functionality. It's kind of unfair to even have a stock comparison when stock is upon to interpretation. Arguably though, the fact that AMD designed XFR2 should be seen as a positive footnote to add to any stock comparison.
I guess it just highlights the different mentality between AMD and Intel. Kudos to AMD.

Soldato
Interesting from the anandtech article:

One of the differences with PCIe 4.0 is that it can only handle PCB traces up to 7 inches before needing a redriver/retimer, so these extra ICs are needed for ports lower down the board. But, the first PCIe slot on most motherboards is in that limit, so it would appear that a lot of current 300 and 400 series motherboards, assuming the traces adhere to signal integrity specifications, could have their first PCIe slot rated at PCIe 4.0 with new firmware.

How cool would that be if my old mobo got PCIe 4.0 support.

Associate
I don’t regret upgrading to 9900k tho....

One would go mad...as soon as Zen 2 hits Intel will fight back and beat it...then rinse and repeat...

:)

I'm really glad you got a 9900K but I do not understand the need to come into an AMD thread and just flame everyone in here who is excited at the prospect of Zen 2. Can you not just play in the Intel threads instead of just aggravating everyone who visits this thread for information on and to talk about purchasing Zen 2

Associate
How cool would that be if my old mobo got PCIe 4.0 support.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-pcie-4.0-motherboard,38401.html

after speaking with several motherboard vendors here at CES 2019, we've learned that many of them have successfully tested PCIe 4.0 on 300- and 400-series AMD motherboards, meaning that the feature could be enabled with a simple BIOS update, at least partially.

I guess I was right when I said the 3850X is going to put them in a coma :p
Nah, Intel will win on audio latency or something or other, and therefore clearly be the superior chip overall :D

Caporegime
I don’t regret upgrading to 9900k tho....

One would go mad...as soon as Zen 2 hits Intel will fight back and beat it...then rinse and repeat...

:)

I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Intel have got 10mm issues and AMDs multi-chip architecture is a lot more flexible and economical than Intel's currrent monolithic approach. They're on the back foot both in terms of process and tech.

Soldato
So it’s now using half the power?

You just made that up

With all the crying you've been doing and bold, brash claims as of late, you're going to complain about a little hyperbole? FFS man. OK, fine.

The system power was 27% lower and the chip power 40% lower on the Ryzen system. Better? Or are you going to twist something else now to replenish your epididymis ready for your next Blue Team emission?

Just face it: your shiny 9900K got matched by an engineering sample that represents half of what Ryzen 3000 can do. Spin, cry, fellate Intel all you want, you cannot deny what was presented in the stream.

Soldato
I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Intel have got 10mm issues and AMDs multi-chip architecture is a lot more flexible and economical than Intel's currrent monolithic approach. They're on the back foot both in terms of process and tech.

It will be interesting to see what 10nm desktop parts Intel manage to release in 2020, by the sounds of things it's a shrunk Coffee Lake Refresh, by which point 7nm+ and Ryzen 4xxx will be lined up for launch

Caporegime
With all the crying you've been doing and bold, brash claims as of late, you're going to complain about a little hyperbole? FFS man. OK, fine.

The system power was 27% lower and the chip power 40% lower on the Ryzen system. Better? Or are you going to twist something else now to replenish your epididymis ready for your next Blue Team emission?

Just face it: your shiny 9900K got matched by an engineering sample that represents half of what Ryzen 3000 can do. Spin, cry, fellate Intel all you want, you cannot deny what was presented in the stream.

No I want people to post facts...it’s not half the power fact

Associate
It will be interesting to see what 10nm desktop parts Intel manage to release in 2020, by the sounds of things it's a shrunk Coffee Lake Refresh, by which point 7nm+ and Ryzen 4xxx will be lined up for launch

What are the chances of another Ryzen shrink by then?

Caporegime
I'm really glad you got a 9900K but I do not understand the need to come into an AMD thread and just flame everyone in here who is excited at the prospect of Zen 2. Can you not just play in the Intel threads instead of just aggravating everyone who visits this thread for information on and to talk about purchasing Zen 2

If people post guff and incorrect data I’ll challenge it..

People are making stuff up which helps nobody make an informed decision.

Associate
If people post guff and incorrect data I’ll challenge it..

People are making stuff up which helps nobody make an informed decision.

Decision? There is nothing to buy yet?

Yes some posts a marginally out, but you are very quick to jump on them. You are getting baited and falling for it each time. It's coming across like you are trying to justify your own purchase to yourself. You have a great CPU, enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom