Am I being unreasonable?

Associate
Hi guys,

I just want to know if I am being unreasonable and unrealistic?

Bought a new build 12 months ago - comes with a builders 24 month snagging period. House has been ok bar the usual settling in issues. Most have been rectified but the big jobs have been forgotten about and I need to keep reminding them.

Anyway, in the main bathroom, ensuite and kitchen there are the downlights which use the LUMLIFE GU10 bulb. 11 of these have blown/flicker or are dim. Looking at the LUMLIFE spec for these bulbs, they carry a 3 year manufacturer guarantee. I have asked the snagging team for replacements and have explained they carry a warranty. They have point blank refused, claiming they do not cover consumables.

I'm pretty annoyed as it means forking out £30-50 on something that I know is still covered by a guarantee, but I can't claim as I didn't make the original purchase. It isn't about the cost, but the principal.

Am I being petty and just need to suck it up or do I continue to argue and hound them?

What would you do?

Thanks,

T_IT

Associate
If they carry a 3 year manufacturer guarantee then send them back to the manufacturer. The builder is right in that they are a consumable. Either that or just go and spend £50 and be done with and don’t waste your time.

Also snagging period is never 24 months. 24 months is the period in which if something goes wrong like your pipes crack and flood the house it’s the builders problem to fix.

Soldato
If they carry a 3 year manufacturer guarantee then send them back to the manufacturer. The builder is right in that they are a consumable. Either that or just go and spend £50 and be done with and don’t waste your time.

Also snagging period is never 24 months. 24 months is the period in which if something goes wrong like your pipes crack and flood the house it’s the builders problem to fix.

I think the issue is that only the builder can claim on the warranty and he isn't prepared to do so.

Associate
OP

This is a local builder that offer a 24 month snagging period - this is what they call it. They have a snagging team which solely deal with any issues that crop up in the first two years. They are one of the better builders out there and fix all issues, from leaks to fine cracks in the plaster.

Associate
I think the issue is that only the builder can claim on the warranty and he isn't prepared to do so.

I didn’t realise this was the case. When I moved into my new build I got given a folder with all manufacturers warranty information in so that if I get a fault in the future I can get it resolved (whether it’s inside or outside of the builders warranty period). Got all the documents for boiler, fridge, oven etc etc.

Associate
House has been ok bar the usual settling in issues. Most have been rectified but the big jobs have been forgotten about and I need to keep reminding them.

Based on the above quote I'd say you're doing pretty well despite jobs being forgotten/needing reminding :p

I bought a David Wilson Homes er home and was ignored for c. 12 months on issues on the house and ended up giving up on getting them resolved by the builder.

Associate
1) Ask Lumilife whether they need proof of purchase to replace a bulb in warranty. If they do, ask the builder for it.

2) Rather than expect the builder to replace all the bulbs, ask them to check the wiring circuit. Even if it is fairly common, they still have a shelf life and carry a warranty for that very reason. You're well within your rights to suggest that there is a health and safety risk presented in the bathroom due to the lights blowing so often.

3) Pop one of the GU10 housings out yourself and check the IP rating. IP44 or IP65 depending on where they are located.

Last edited:
Associate
Is there not a bigger issue of why so many are blowing? Could there be an electrical problem that needs looking at?

Soldato
I had similar, 24 GU10 LEDs in the kitchen, in the space of 6 months i ended up replacing them all,

However i was lucky as the builder DWH admitted they had a bad batch, so they knocked in the door with a box of 24 for me.

Check with the manufacture of the bulbs if they will replace or if there have been any issues with certain batches, failing that I would be getting a sparky in to check the lighting circuit.

Soldato
If you bought the bulbs from a retailer, sure, there's a three year warranty. Buy a new house that has them in, they are just a consumable. They didn't sell you bulbs.

I reckon if your builder isn't willing to help, give the manufacturer a go then just buy your own bulbs and save the agro.

That many failures in such a short space of time is odd though. Halogens should last longer than that let alone LEDs

Soldato
I dont know about this particular brand, but when I have ever bothered to read the small print on low energy bulbs there is usually conditional information involved.

Assumptions based on supposed standard usage (IE So many starts per day, so many hours per day )

I would expect Three years to be a guesstimate based on assumed standard usage. Not (Say for example) three years on continuously (18,000 hours or so) or being switched on/off 50 times a day. all your bulbs failing at more or less the same time may be due to a bad batch. But it may also be as a result of atypical usage (According to the original assumed usage pattern, which is likley to be conservative in the manufacturers favour ;) ) and therefore may not be covered by the standard guarantee anyways (Like car batteries and taxi drivers)

EG, I have a dark kitchen.

The lights have to be on all the time I am in there rather than just a 30mins or so morning and evening. I would not expect my lights to last as long as lights being used in a more normal environment.

Is there anything about you usage pattern that might be causing this?

Back
Top Bottom