Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
3k @ 17 min. Slow but lungs way better today, it's the legs that were killing me. Time for a few days break.

Think I'll stick with the 3k for a week or two, or should I mix it up?

Caporegime
Anyone here trained towards any kind of ultra running/marathon? I'm thinking long term with the plan being a half marathon this year, full marathon the year after that and then a 50k the following year.

Yes, 7 marathons, and 4 ultras (shortest was 69km with 5000m climbing, longest 90km with 6100m climbing). This year I'm signed up for London Marathon, a 100km with 6700m climbing, and a 170km with 11,000meters climbing .

I don't think you need to worry about making any kind of small progression. If you do 10mile runs now then do a marathon this year, you could do a 50k by the end of the year and look for 50 miles/80km next year.

There is a pretty big difference between a marathon and any ultras. Don't think of 50km as being just a few more km than a marathon, it is a whole different training and racing experience, at least if your intention is to race the marathon.

the main thing is good consistent volume and getting your nutrition sorted for ultras. It is mostly mental, so suffering through hard long runs is mostly about mental prep than physical.

Caporegime
Thanks for that, how do you deal with the damage to your feet on the long runs, are they strapped up?

I don't get many issues with my feet. Biggest issue is toenails go black and fall off, when they are off it is great, then the ******** regrow an you have to wit for them to go black and fall off again.

There are a few good books on footcare for runners. Most important is preventative actions though, properly fitting shoes, good socks, adjusting shoes before there is an issue.

My longest race took just under 18 hours, biggest issue at the end was downhill running with severe DOMS in the quads after 7000m of descent. As I train for 170km, I will see how my feet cope but I doubt I will have anyy issue in training. On race day I will just have to be alert and try my best at field care. The bigger aid stations have some nurses and experienced ultra runners at hand that can clean up blisters, lost toe nails etc.

Associate
Anyone know how fitness apps calculate calories burned and how accurate they are? As i've mentioned i've been trying to reduce my weight and so using MyfitnessPal to track calories.

This morning i ran for 40 minutes at my usual jogging pace of around 10min/mile and averaged 160bpm. It says i've burned 830 calories which translates to 1250/hr.

I know i'm fairly heavy (110kgs) so that obviously has a bearing, but it still seems pretty high to me.

A decent rule of thumb is walking or running is about 100 calories/mile for the average sized person (running is a little higher due to elevated heart rate after you stop). The speed you run or walk it doesn't make a huge difference. Your weight does.

Associate
I didn't quite manage sub40 at my 10k yesterday. 40:15 chip time (40:05 on Strava) which is still a PB, so should be pleased really. I blame the wind, and my legs didn't feel 100% from lots of going up and down stairs at work on Saturday.

Soldato
Least it gives you something to aim for in the next one whilst still being a great achievement.

I got a PB at my local parkrun on Saturday which was dead on 30:00 which is freaky. Strava says 29:44 but the parkrun will have the delay due to me being at the back of the group and not getting past the start line for a while. I accept it's still slow :p

I actually turned the short parkrun into my long run by running there and back (~2.8m each way) so was at around 8.5miles for the day. Although i got there a little earlier so was stood around for 15 minutes. I'll set off later next time to aim to arrive just at the start to keep consistency.

One thing that i felt worked well was i run faster for the last few hundred metres as you typically do in a race. That successfully tired me out so which meant i was pretty tired for the run home. Figure it'll help to simulate the effects towards the end of a long race!

Associate
I thought that was what you were up to when I saw 3 runs in close succession on Sat :)

I went out on sat and then realised when I got back that the large bruise on my leg had gone all the way down into my ankle. Looks like I did more damage to myself than I thought when I hit my leg with a 4M decking plank last weekend. No wonder it still hurts :(

Man of Honour
I didn't quite manage sub40 at my 10k yesterday. 40:15 chip time (40:05 on Strava) which is still a PB, so should be pleased really. I blame the wind, and my legs didn't feel 100% from lots of going up and down stairs at work on Saturday.

I got a PB at my local parkrun on Saturday which was dead on 30:00 which is freaky. Strava says 29:44 but the parkrun will have the delay due to me being at the back of the group and not getting past the start line for a while. I accept it's still slow :p

Well done on the PBs, always satisfying to make progress and set new targets.

Soldato
It's depressing how much alcohol can still affect me many days on. Was at a poker night on Saturday where admittedly i only stopped drinking around 7am Sunday morning and then only had a couple hours sleep. But even this morning when i forced myself to get up and run i felt like crap during it and only just about managed 3 miles with a bit of walking in between :(

Back
Top Bottom