• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

• Total voters
Caporegime
Curious really and interested in those who will or will not purchase and for what reason. I thought it was a $100 cheaper than a 2080 but since been told otherwise, so this makes me think of who will be buying and for what reason or vice versa.

I will ask for a poll.

Soldato
No. but primarily because of finances. I'm not buying any card for £650+

If I was in the market for a graphics card at this performance level, the Radeon 7 would need to be significantly cheaper than the 2080 to offset the RTX potential. If raster performance between the Radeon 7 and the 2080 is the same at £650-700, then another £50 is neither here nor there to take a punt of getting half-decent ray tracing and DLSS. I wouldn't take that punt if it cost me £100 or £150 to do so.

This is the argument I've been making to those who dismissed the leaked Navi prices as unrealistic saying that AMD can, should and will only undercut the equivalent RTX by a couple of quid because that's the expectation.

My eye is on the RX 3080 if the leaks are even remotely accurate.

Last edited:
Associate
Possibly. If it's £600, definitely. £650, maybe. £700 nope.

However, I use Linux a lot of the time and in a lot of ways the AMD Linux driver is just better (Proper wayland support, open source, nvidia issues that require often performance impacting workarounds to fix things like screen tearing. My GPU performance suffers after I put the machine to sleep and I have to reboot it to get full performance back for who knows why). So for that reason I'd prefer an AMD GPU. However, if the performance isn't on par with the 2080 or it's £700 I'll wait and possibly get Navi if it's a cheap but fairly minor upgrade.

Last edited:
Associate
I think if they priced it at £549 they would have really made it far more appealing Gregster

Things have gone silly where £1200 Graphics card are now acceptable & Charging £699 for a card that the performance could be matched by a competitor Two years ago doesnt make sense

If it was ground Breaking & £699 & offered Value then I would consider it but everything has to have justification for me to purchase

Will be missing this out & sticking with my £299 Black Friday Vega 56 which had the same Games free in the Bundle

They have somehow managed to make the RTX 2080 look better than it did two Days ago

Even OCUK put their prices back up as soon as the price was announced on the RX 580, Vega 56 in the January Sale

Soldato
No, unfortunately it's overpriced. It's basically a 1080 Ti at best with a bit more VRAM released two years later at MSRP. I want to switch to AMD due Nvidia's behaviour but come on!

Man of Honour
not unless it's double the performance of a 1080ti.

i went 7950 -> 7990 (quadfire briefly) -> 1080ti.
needs the price/perf to match...and none of the current crop of GPUs do...waaaaay overpriced.

Soldato
Yes but not right away, baby on the way so can't just go buying £700 GPUs haaa
Plus tbh at £700 is abit over my max budget I willing to pay for a GPU at £500

Still life in Vega 64 am sure Resident evil 2 will run great .

Caporegime
If it had replaced my V64 at the same price point I bought it for, then yes. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

At the moment it's a solid miss.

I'm wanting to go for AMD 3XXX CPU flagship and X570 motherboard, so hoping to buy a Vega 7nm then depending on price, but I feel my Vega 64 will last until 2020 easy.

Caporegime
The *only* way I'd be interested is that if it absolutely destroyed everything in Division 2 (AMD game) then I might have gone nuts and picked up a Rad7 along with that cray-cray 43" Asus 4k Freesync 2 monitor that's coming out ;) :D

Man of Honour
No

HBM2 adds to the cost and throttles 1080p/1440p performance. Yes HBM2 would be good at 2160p but the card does not have the raw performance to compete against a 2080 Ti.

8gb or 12gb of GDDR6 would have been better for a gaming card.

Soldato
If they can bring out an 8GB version for £100 less.

No

HBM2 adds to the cost and throttles 1080p/1440p performance. Yes HBM2 would be good at 2160p but the card does not have the raw performance to compete against a 2080 Ti.

8gb or 12gb of GDDR6 would have been better for a gaming card.

They've probably already bought a lot of HBM2 memory.

Associate
They are cut Radeon Instincts that didn't make the grade for full fat workstation cards. That makes them a bargain for a "cheaper" workstation / compute card.
From a gamers perspective it's just a stop gap card on the way to Arcturus, they had to put out something and making use of salvaged RI cards is by no means a bad move.

There are some really good quality Freesync 2 screens with people wanting more than V64 than to drive them with, it also fills that gap up nicely for them.

Associate
It's not much better than my current Vega64 LC.
I'm betting it will surely be lower as it's on air as well ;)

So no reason to upgrade yet. Plently of life left in my current card :)

Back
Top Bottom