• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Associate
Well. Mr Pedantic, you are factually incorrect. Adaptive sync only applies to the standard on the display port. Gsync uses the eDP standard on laptops, not Adaptive Sync.
adaptive sync is eDP. (referencing the last part/ not adaptive sync) did i read your post wrong? one of those days..

Last edited:
Soldato
60FPS/Hz looks smooth to me but I can feel the input latency no end with V-Sync on - normally I have to go to atleast 80FPS/HZ (without V-Sync) - ideally more like 100-120 (120+ with V-Sync) to get a good feel until G-Sync came along - I'm perfectly happy with most games other than the most fast paced twitch shooters at around 60-70 FPS with G-Sync and can deal with occasional dips to around high 40s-50.

Stuff like The Division (PVE) I'm perfectly happy at around 60 FPS with G-Sync but in days gone by I'd have needed >80 FPS without V-Sync on to get the responsiveness I needed and more like 100+ to minimise the perception of tearing or stutter that was needed without V-Sync.
Depends on the game, sometimes 60 FPS is fine but often it isn't for me. I think I stop seeing any difference at around 90-100 FPS, but obviously the higher your FPS the lower your input lag. I hate tearing though so I need a monitor that can keep up with that. Even dragging a mouse pointer around a 60 Hz monitor at work feels very unsmooth to me.

Associate
don't worry, I corrected your post for you :p

oh not you to :p

"Variable refresh rate technologies such as DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync address these issues by providing a mechanism that allows the display refresh rate to change dynamically in response to the rendering framerate of the game. In the case illustrated in Figure 2, the display will wait until Render Frame B is finished and ready before updating the display. This helps ensure that a frame is almost always displayed as soon as possible, avoiding lag. It also helps ensure that frames do not need to be repeated within the refresh rate range of the display, avoiding stutter. The display refresh rate is synchronized to the rendering framerate, which helps avoid the issue of tearing associated with VSync-off. DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync provides the ideal solution for smooth gameplay with decreased lag and virtually no tearing."

"In summary, VESA’s DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync standard can be used to create products with variable refresh rate capabilities that offer a number of benefits:"

http://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/VESA-Adaptive-Sync-Whitepaper-140620.pdf

edit: took me a few goes as its deffinetly one of those days, we are agreeing from a differnt angle, you are correct adaptive sync was based on edp but it is now one in the same i/e edp/dp and adaptive sync.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nvidia to support Freesync?

This reminds me of what happens when the USA supports other countries.

When the USA opposes places like Cuba and North Korea they seem to do ok, when they try and help in places like Iraq and Afghanistan the results are unfortunate.

Mobster
Soldato
Well. Mr Pedantic, you are factually incorrect. Adaptive sync only applies to the standard on the display port. Gsync uses the eDP standard on laptops, not Adaptive Sync.

LOL, how on earth do you expect a laptop internal screen to connect to DP, it HAS to use eDP. they are essentially the same thing, one internal one external.

Stop killing my brain cells.

Soldato
oh not you to :p

"Variable refresh rate technologies such as DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync address these issues by providing a mechanism that allows the display refresh rate to change dynamically in response to the rendering framerate of the game. In the case illustrated in Figure 2, the display will wait until Render Frame B is finished and ready before updating the display. This helps ensure that a frame is almost always displayed as soon as possible, avoiding lag. It also helps ensure that frames do not need to be repeated within the refresh rate range of the display, avoiding stutter. The display refresh rate is synchronized to the rendering framerate, which helps avoid the issue of tearing associated with VSync-off. DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync provides the ideal solution for smooth gameplay with decreased lag and virtually no tearing."

"In summary, VESA’s DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync standard can be used to create products with variable refresh rate capabilities that offer a number of benefits:"

http://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/VESA-Adaptive-Sync-Whitepaper-140620.pdf

You just proved my point. Display port adaptive sync.

The adaptive sync standard is based on the eDP specifications. It's not the same though. There are differences. For example, in Display port adaptive sync you need a suitable scaler on the display. In eDP, there is no scaler on the display. It functions a little differently.

Associate
You just proved my point. Display port adaptive sync.

The adaptive sync standard is based on the eDP specifications. It's not the same though. There are differences. For example, in Display port adaptive sync you need a suitable scaler on the display. In eDP, there is no scaler on the display. It functions a little differently.
updated my previous post, whilst technically accurate, its still all adaptive sync regardless. the naming is no different across both.

Soldato
LOL, how on earth do you expect a laptop internal screen to connect to DP, it HAS to use eDP. they are essentially the same thing, one internal one external.

Stop killing my brain cells.

I can't kill what doesn't exist. So don't worry.

Here is some information for you.

However, for G-Sync laptops, there's no module. Instead, the display is directly controlled by the GPU, which pulls double duty as both scaler and graphics card. G-Sync exploits this connection and the variable timing and panel self-refresh functionality built into eDP, effectively implementing G-Sync in software.

The more technically minded out there will note that this is very similar to how AMD's FreeSync works on the desktop, the tech being based DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync, which was in turn based on eDP.

Adaptive sync is the display port standard, not the eDP standard.

Associate

now your being mr pedantic

its one and the same really. other than the way its handled by edp and dp, like gsync and freesync. its adaptive sync :) if you prefer we can call it VRR. :D

"The Adaptive-Sync technology is a standard for variable refresh displays supported by VESA’s DisplayPort 1.2a. The tech enables the display to dynamically match a GPU’s rendering rate, on a frame-by-frame basis, to produce a smoother, low latency, gaming experience and video playback. The Adaptive-Sync, has been supported by the embedded DisplayPort (eDP) standard for years in order to reduce power consumption of notebook displays. In case of the eDP, the feature is officially called Panel Self-Refresh (PSR), but it works generally the same way as the Adaptive-Sync does. AMD’s FreeSync relies on PSR and Adaptive-Sync, hence, it is highly likely that at least some of FreeSync-supporting monitors should also support Adaptive-Sync."

no one will ever differentiate the two as PSR and adaptive sync.

Soldato
updated my previous post, whilst technically accurate, its still all adaptive sync regardless. the naming is no different across both.

That's what started this. Been overly pedantic. When Lambchop said that Freesync and Adaptive sync was not the same. He is technically right, but, to most people Freesync and adaptive sync mean the same thing. So when they talk about Freesync, they are really talking about adaptive sync.

So, if wants to be that pedantic, I am just giving him the same back.

When Nvidia uses Gysnc on a laptop they are using the eDP standard to make it work.

When Nvidia uses their new Gsync on Monitors they will be using the display port adaptive sync standard to make it work.

One is based on the other, but they are two different things.

Associate
That's what started this. Been overly pedantic. When Lambchop said that Freesync and Adaptive sync was not the same. He is technically right, but, to most people Freesync and adaptive sync mean the same thing. So when they talk about Freesync, they are really talking about adaptive sync.

When Nvidia uses Gysnc on a laptop they are using the eDP standard to make it work.

When Nvidia uses their new Gsync on Monitors they will be using the display port adaptive sync standard to make it work.

removed the joke as it might be taken the wrong way and that wasn't my intention :)

Mobster
Soldato

Let me try and explain a little of displayport to you.

Displayport is an interface/standard, on that interface, VESA added adaptive sync as a standard

From that DisplayPort interface, you get external display port (thats what you use for your monitors) and you get eDP (which is the internal connection for laptop screens) I'm sure there's other branches of DisplayPort but these are the two were talking about.

Adaptive sync is available on any of the branches (DP and eDP) of the DisplayPort interface.

AMD used DP, they called it freesync, nVidia is using it on eDP for years.

If you cant or wont get that then you are just trolling me. If you want to save face, just stop responding because i have something to tell you. Once you are dead, you are dead. You don't feel anything, its everyone else around you that feels the pain. Same thing for stupid people.

Man of Honour

I can't wait til some of the tech sites/channel get their hands on this and pull stuff apart to get more details. It is starting to look to me like FreeSync is employing a lot of workarounds to make monitors work that don't actually adhere to the adaptive sync spec.

Back
Top Bottom