BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
I think it's uglier than a 1 series, the LCI largely fixed the droopy front end and made it palatable. At least the 1 series doesn't look like something large and heavy was dropped on it from height either. The X2 I saw recently also had ridiculous blingy 20 inch wheels too which doesn't seem sensible for the size of car.

Soldato
Caporegime
Soldato
In case people hadn't noticed, Michelin now do the PS4S in the staggered 19" fitment with * marking. Handy for those with xDrive that were wanting to ditch the runflats but were wary about moving away from BMW fitment tyres.

Camskill are currently the cheapest for 225/40/19 & 255/35/19 from what I've found.

Soldato
Looking to pick your collective BMW brains please.

Before we pickup the new (well used) F15 X5 from BMW, I saw a photo I took of the car and noticed that one of the tyres is different from the other 3, being a a Bridgestone Dueller compare to x3 Dunlop Sportmaxx RT RFT. Not sure how I missed that when going over the car, but anyway....

Should an AUC from a BMW dealer really be sold in that state, as I doubt that'll be great for the XDrive system and we all know that mixing tyres on the same axle is a big no no. I'm having a look around for any defining info online from BMW or tyre manufacturers that actually states it shouldn't be done. But it seems more along the lines of 'not recommended'. It's been raised to the dealer before we pick it up anyway and are waiting to hear back from them.

On another funny note, we noticed the windscreen has a big chip in the driver's eyeline with a few large chips in other areas. BMW naturally said they'd repair those, but today have come back and said what we saw, WAS the repaired screen! The chip felt like the grand canyon to me :D

So they complained that a new one costs £1200 (also needs to work with the HUD) and could they let us have it as is, we claim off our insurance, then they pay the excess............

That got shot down hard, the cheeky sods! Their profit margin on this one looks to be going negative :D

Soldato
You're correct in saying it shouldn't be sold with mismatching tyres. Nor should the tread level between the tyres be too great (although I can't find out exactly what this limit is!). So, if the other 3 tyres are all worn down then they may need to replace all 4!

Soldato
All of them a pretty much new from when I checked (probably 6-7mm) and BMW have confirmed that also (don't remember the actual depth).

Thought so, thanks, we'll have them sort a matching replacement. Even though they're RFTs, it'll keep us going for the next few years, or we'll just sell them on ebay and get some non-RFTs asap.

Any issues regarding the BMW warranty and going for non-star rated BMW tyres? I'm having a look at some PS4, F1 Asy 3 or even some Vredstien Ultrac Vorti (at a great price), all in XL with 106 load rating.

Man of Honour
Any issues regarding the BMW warranty and going for non-star rated BMW tyres?

I've decided I can't be bothered with the potential hassle - I've heard stories of the lack of star rated tyres causing an issue with claims for things like the differential. Especially with it being an xDrive. I'm running star rated all round on mine for this reason, they are actually no more expensive anyway so it doesnt seem worth the hassle.

Man of Honour
I got written confirmation from my BMW dealer that the star mark doesn't matter in terms of warranty as long as the tyres aren't ditchfinders. I imagine it can vary from place to place though.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I got written confirmation from my BMW dealer that the star mark doesn't matter in terms of warranty as long as the tyres aren't ditchfinders. I imagine it can vary from place to place though.
Is 'ditchfinders' industry terminology? :D

Soldato
Thanks for the info guys.

I'll just wait until I have the warranty information when we get the car and will get written confirmation from the Warranty provider either way.

Also going back to them asking for the AUC checklist showing the brake pad and disc measurements as they did look a little low by eye. Although I couldn't see the inner pads so they could be even worse than the outer.

Found the initial and minimum thickness for BMW OEM discs, just need further info on the pads and at what level they should be changed or mileage they should be good for after purchasing through AUC.

We're doing a lot of running about (now there's a lack of trust) when BMW should have sorted all of these things, as they must have internal guidelines/procedures to follow! Or as usual the dealership just wants the car out of the door for maximum profit to a clueless customer, then get all defensive and less helpful when some with experience come in and call them out :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom