• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Freesync LFC not working

Associate
Thought I'd pick my fellow forumites brains, I've got a Samsung C24FG73 which has a freesync range of 70 -144Hz. It supports LFC, but I've noticed Freesync doesn't actually work sub 70Hz. In all honesty, I'm not sure it's ever worked as I run vsync on at the same time. I'm connected to my 580 by DP, and Freesync definitely works above 70Hz when I tested on both Overwatch and Dying Light.

I've clean installed Radeon Settings multiple times and it's not had any effect, I've tried googling for monitor drivers but not seen anything. Any other suggestions would be great.
Cheers

Associate
OP
Yep fellas, should have mentioned that, sorry. The monitor is set to Ultimate Engine and yea it's in the OSD of the monitor. Radeon Settings reports 70-144Hz when hovering over the Freesync toggle button. Does anyone know if Radeon Settings mentions LFC anywhere? Like it shows the Freesync range when you hover over the Freesync button.

Edit: I should also add, I was on 18.12.2 and it wasn't working, I updated to 18.12.3 via a clean install to see if it fixed it and it hasn't.

Associate
Yep fellas, should have mentioned that, sorry. The monitor is set to Ultimate Engine and yea it's in the OSD of the monitor. Radeon Settings reports 70-144Hz when hovering over the Freesync toggle button. Does anyone know if Radeon Settings mentions LFC anywhere? Like it shows the Freesync range when you hover over the Freesync button.

Edit: I should also add, I was on 18.12.2 and it wasn't working, I updated to 18.12.3 via a clean install to see if it fixed it and it hasn't.
the lfc being enabled/disabled isnt reported in the AMD driver, it should be auto enabled at the driver level.

Does your monitor display the current refresh rate in its OSD? you could test LFC by watching for sub-minimum FPS and comparing that number to the current refresh rate. 34 FPS with LFC would show as 68Hz, for example.

Associate
OP
the lfc being enabled/disabled isnt reported in the AMD driver, it should be auto enabled at the driver level.
Yea that's why I was asking, does it show anywhere in the settings to confirm that there is LFC? I thought there was somewhere but in all honesty I can't see it.

Does your monitor display the current refresh rate in its OSD? you could test LFC by watching for sub-minimum FPS and comparing that number to the current refresh rate. 34 FPS with LFC would show as 68Hz, for example.

Nope, the monitor has no way to display it's refresh rate on screen unfortunately. It doesn't even have an option to turn the standby LED off! :p

Associate
OP
no unfortunately not. :(

That's annoying. I've emailed Samsung too, but they're about as useful as a chocolate teapot in all honesty. What a load of faff to get it to work, starting to regret buying this screen. Any other suggestions or thoughts? Cheers

Associate
I think you misread its shankly. Its enabled automatically regardless of vsync. Some suggest vsync to cap the frames to stay in the rang, but I would use chill instead but I'm not sure that will help loftie. Lottie this may help, you Prolly want to limit you frames below the low end https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate apologies if itsit's good, I'm on my phone ATM and this is all I could find which may be of any use

Soldato
I think you misread its shankly. Its enabled automatically regardless of vsync. Some suggest vsync to cap the frames to stay in the rang, but I would use chill instead but I'm not sure that will help loftie. Lottie this may help you Polly want o limit you frames below the low end https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate apologies if no good I'm on my phone ATM and this is all I could find which may be of any use

AMD link does say though, edit Yeah I mean I know its enabled always in the background but to see the best effect from it Vsync must be enabled is what I saying.

24840359d13860408bc49853d5433a8628da16d1be37178ecc98a93a38a8a4c7fc96d23d.jpg

So to get no tearing below the freesync range Vsync must be enabled. otherwise you just get a reduced tearing and lower motion judder.

Associate
AMD link does say though, edit Yeah I mean I know its enabled always in the background but to see the best effect from it Vsync must be enabled is what I saying.

So to get no tearing below the freesync range Vsync must be enabled. otherwise you just get a reduced tearing and lower motion judder.
On the right column it says without LFC.
Edit Oops my mistake the rest of the pic was off the end of my screen apologies.
Looks like you are spot on

Associate
OP

Interesting chart shankly, I've not seen that one before. Seems odd that in LFC below min refresh rate without vsync there'd be "reduced tearing" as opposed to no tearing, and surprisingly in LFC it must impact mouse latency. I always assumed in LFC the framerate of the screen was just doubled without any input from the game i.e. no vsync required. Hmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom