• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

• Total voters
Man of Honour
No, way too expensive. I was really surprised by this card, that AMD would come out with a >£500 part that isn't top dog. Bearing in mind their next best offering Vega64 is under £400, a pricetag of what £650 is just too much to bear.

Associate
Its too expensive. Needs to come out at £550 max (which it wont) or itll need to perform 10% better than RTX2080 for the £650 price tag (which itll also unlikely do)

I really dont know who will buy it as those who have held off nvidia have mainly held off due to price. If this has same performance for same price then the whole crowd who have waited will likely just wait it out longer, or if they buy will likely just go nvidia route.

Really hope some how AMD get this out cheaper than expected and improve drivers to best the RTX2080 to shake up the market. Prices are so dire and its sad people are prepared to let them selves get ripped off so badly. At least if you buy 1 admit to been weak and not defend the purchase price. Hell, im a degenerate gambler, in recent years i blow a gpu price each month, its a horrible disease, i dont try to justify my losses, I'll hold my hands up and say "Im an idiot, I know i need to stop, im just weak"

Like others now, even if we can afford them its pure greed, out of principle i wont buy (although the fact i really need to upgrade my whole rig is an extra expense/ball ache so it helps me say "no"). Im also more tempted to just get back into consoles so PS5 would be of interest of next Xboxs. The problem i face is im a first person shooter fan all the way.

Ultimately im sat on the gtx980ti that still handles everything ive thrown at it at 1440p pretty much and ill hold out. As im getting older these days i dont game as much anyhoo. I miss Uni & counter strike though :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope, can't understand late launched products priced alongside existing performance either, AMD mugging their user base as much as Nv did with Turing-at least RTX pp buy in got you day 1 performance.
Not according to mr leather jacket.

If Nv can't get working vrr on existing FreeSync capable monitors-they are going to get absolutely slaughtered big time by an angry user base.

Soldato
When bringing any product to market it doesn’t make sense to simply try and match what is already out there.

You need a benefit/advantage otherwise you just chasing sales of the by now market leader.

In this case they may have matched the 2080 in performance (although I’m far from convinced) but it’s missing the newer tech which I do get may or may not materialise into something worthwhile.

So if you can’t compete in features/performance you need to compete on price. At the same price as a 2080 it’s simply not worth considering.

Recent Vega 56/64 prices have shown that a mediocre product can sell well when priced well. A £550 vega 7 would sell well.

Caporegime
Well he does still have a warehouse full of G-Sync modules to shift. And he doesn’t want Nvidia and G-Sync to be associated with the bad FreeSync monitors.

Well his claims can easily be debunked should the tech press want to. Until these claims are put to the test with the new driver in 5 days or so its anyone's guess how inflated they are.

Soldato
I think I got it from Linus that they'd all work? Only some were getting the nVidia approved sticker though to ... whatever criteria nVidia are testing them by.

Caporegime
I think I got it from Linus that they'd all work? Only some were getting the nVidia approved sticker though to ... whatever criteria nVidia are testing them by.

I seen somewhere that the approved models automatically enabled it, the unapproved ones either had issues with flickering, strobing or didn't enable it automatically? Near sure it was in that article with Huang flapping his gums about the radeon 7.

ed: this article

However, he does have data from his own labs that say there are problems from Nvidia’s point of view. The company tested 400 FreeSync panels and found only 12 that would turn on G-Sync automatically. The others require a manual override.

“We will test every singe card against every single monitor against every single game and if it doesn’t work, we will say it doesn’t work. And if it does, we will let it work.”

“We believe that you have to test it to promise that it works,” Huang said. “And unsurprisingly most of them don’t work.”

https://www.pcworld.com/article/333...x-2080-will-crush-amds-underwhelming-gpu.html

So a bit different from his previous spiel of the panels not working, his idea of not working seems to be needing to toggle it on or off. What a bellpiece.

Soldato
No, way too expensive. I was really surprised by this card, that AMD would come out with a >£500 part that isn't top dog. Bearing in mind their next best offering Vega64 is under £400, a pricetag of what £650 is just too much to bear.

I doubt they'll keep the Vega64 as their midrange card lol. AMD will definately release a cheaper Radeon VII card to compete with the 2070. Then the top tier Navi card will compete with the 2060. Mid range Navi will compete with 1160 and low end Navi will compete with 1150ti. That's the GPU market covered for everyones budget.

The Vega 56, Vega 64, RX and 10xx cards will all be obsolete.

Associate
Was expecting AMD to bring this out at around $549 or even $499 to fire a shot across Nvidia's bough's. But sadly not. I wont pay that much for a GFX card regardless of who makes it or what features it has. Nvidia are way too greedy and this was AMDs chance to put a stop to these crazy prices and gain a lot more mindshare/marketshare. So a little dissapointed that they didnt grasp the nettle, as it were. Will be interested in the benchmarking scores when its released though, just to see how it compares to other cards like Vega 64/1080Ti/2080 etc.... Also be interesting to see what Jim of AdoredTV thinks of it too. I bet he has a downer on it. :D

Soldato
Was expecting AMD to bring this out at around $549 or even $499 to fire a shot across Nvidia's bough's. But sadly not. I wont pay that much for a GFX card regardless of who makes it or what features it has. Nvidia are way too greedy and this was AMDs chance to put a stop to these crazy prices and gain a lot more mindshare/marketshare. So a little dissapointed that they didnt grasp the nettle, as it were. Will be interested in the benchmarking scores when its released though, just to see how it compares to other cards like Vega 64/1080Ti/2080 etc.... Also be interesting to see what Jim of AdoredTV thinks of it too. I bet he has a downer on it. :D

He was already scathing with his comment about the vii

Back
Top Bottom