• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

core i5-3570k best gfx card no bottleneck?

Associate
Good evening fine chaps of ocuk

My processor is quite old now over 5 yrs i was looking at a new gfx card from my nvidia 970 strix but it seems i am very limited in choice by cpu bottleneck. I have 16gb ddr3 ram is there any card I can get that will not be bottlenecked so I can play in 4k or am i too restricted by the cpu? ( recently got a 4k tv so would like more use out of it)

Price no issue and would like to buy from ocuk obviously. I am very out of touch lately. Due a cpu upgrade too probably? My mobo is asus sabertooth z77. Whats the best step forward from a 970 or is it not worth it?

thank you for any advice

Last edited:
Soldato
I had that CPU for years before moving to the 8700k, I'd STRONGLY suggest spending that money on upgrading to to a 8700k or above if I'm honest. I had a 980ti with my i5 and even that was being bottle necked a little in some games and heavily in others by the CPU.

It ran very well, great CPU. But it's age is done :(

Man of Honour
Have you overclocked your cpu? If so, you may find that at 4k resolution it isn't much of a bottleneck unless you go for something very high end. Something like an RTX2060 I suspect would not be bottlenecked by CPU in modern games given it has only 6GB VRAM.

Man of Honour
Price no issue and would like to buy from ocuk obviously. I am very out of touch lately. Due a cpu upgrade too probably? My mobo is asus sabertooth z77. Whats the best step forward from a 970 or is it not worth it?
Buy a 3770k and a 1070/ti on the MM?

Associate
OP
Have you overclocked your cpu? If so, you may find that at 4k resolution it isn't much of a bottleneck unless you go for something very high end. Something like an RTX2060 I suspect would not be bottlenecked by CPU in modern games given it has only 6GB VRAM.

i believe it was overclocked by ocuk when i got it but not sure what to- so i could get a rtx2060 at a push?

Associate
I had that CPU for years before moving to the 8700k, I'd STRONGLY suggest spending that money on upgrading to to a 8700k or above if I'm honest. I had a 980ti with my i5 and even that was being bottle necked a little in some games and heavily in others by the CPU.

It ran very well, great CPU. But it's age is done :(
Yep Same here. Had that cpu for years aswell. 4 threads in modern games just get overloaded. Another problem you have is the ddr3 RAM will slow your system down aswell.

Man of Honour
Personally if you want an easy life I would say RTX2060 is a sensible option, priced keenly at £329 and avoids having to upgrade mobo, cpu and ram which can be costly (probably about £400 for a decent Ryzen setup). You have a good amount of RAM so if you can really push the overclock on the CPU the new gfx card should give a very big boost at 4k res.

Then again at 4k you arguably want more VRAM, so perhaps consider a Vega card also but more chance of it being bottlenecked.

I am being a bit hypocritical, as I upgraded a 3570k just over a year ago, but then I'm not playing at 4k resolution so more likely to be cpu limited.

Associate
OP
Personally if you want an easy life I would say RTX2060 is a sensible option, priced keenly at £329 and avoids having to upgrade mobo, cpu and ram which can be costly (probably about £400 for a decent Ryzen setup). You have a good amount of RAM so if you can really push the overclock on the CPU the new gfx card should give a very big boost at 4k res.

Then again at 4k you arguably want more VRAM, so perhaps consider a Vega card also but more chance of it being bottlenecked.

I am being a bit hypocritical, as I upgraded a 3570k just over a year ago, but then I'm not playing at 4k resolution so more likely to be cpu limited.

is this viable? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-38j-sp.html

Soldato
I had a 3570k and a 970 when I was gaming at 1200p.

Even at 4.4Ghz it was a bottleneck for my 970.

Although a new card will work just fine a open up performance in games that are GPU bound your minimal fps is what will really suffer.

I would personally save a bit more and try and get a platform upgrade.

Associate
I had a 2500k and 980 and like other even at max OC of 4.8ghz it bottlenecked at 1440p. 4 threads do really poor now especially with the minimum framerates and microstutter. Its worth just saving and getting a modern Ryzen system.

You could buy a 3770k and drop that in but is it worth the cost? Imo not with them second hand costing the same amount as a Ryzen 2600 cpu.

Personally I would not recommend pairing anything higher than 970/980/580/1060 levels with a 4 threaded cpu.

Soldato
To be fair at 4k you want a GTX2080 minimum, you'd easily be avke to play at 4k with something at a minimum GTX1070 but you'd have to knock settings down slightly and as long as you are not fussy and are happy with 4k / 30fps

Associate
i've got a 3570k and omly 8gb ram and have just gone from a GTX970 to a vega 64. i know the cpu will be a botleneck but it does give quite a boost in performance. thats at 1440p

i am planning on upgrading everything else in a few months though. just didn't fancy paying for everything all at once.

Caporegime
I wouldn't think it will matter anywhere near as much if you're at 4k? Maybe get the card now, and in the meantime save up for the new CPU/mobo/ram, etc.

Associate
4k really does require a 2080 at minimum, at least for the latest graphically demanding games, I would be looking at playing at 1440p on your TV.

If I was in your position I would be looking at buying either a Vega64,1070ti,1080,2060 and also buying a 2nd hand i7 3770/k (these can had for about £100). That would happily see you put for another few years at 1440p.

Soldato
Good evening fine chaps of ocuk

My processor is quite old now over 5 yrs i was looking at a new gfx card from my nvidia 970 strix but it seems i am very limited in choice by cpu bottleneck. I have 16gb ddr3 ram is there any card I can get that will not be bottlenecked so I can play in 4k or am i too restricted by the cpu? ( recently got a 4k tv so would like more use out of it)

thank you for any advice

Have you considered Xbox One X? And yes I am serious given your budget is your best solution for 4k gaming.

Considering the alternative to play properly at 4K you need to splash at least £420 for Radeon Vega 64 or £700 for RTX2080/ Radeon VII and an AMD 2600X with 16GB DDR4 3200. (and you need good SSD if you only have HDD)

So it doesn't worth it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom