• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Rup

Rup

Associate
Great news, finally Nvidia surrender to reason!!
My 1440p UW Acer will perform great with my 2080 RTX.

Soldato
the guy who interviewed nvidia asked them why it was blinking and nvidia said; try this monitor with an AMD card and you'l get the same blinking. hence it being a panel issue therefor(again they mentioned this) most of the freesync monitors that don't have issues with amd cards although likely wont see issues on nvidia cards.
therefor 1 or 2 panels having issues with vrr doesnt mean non of the other 398 wont work. its the same issue for both companies. its a panel qc issue more than likely.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3332198/gaming/nvidia-geforce-freesync-gsync-imcompatible.html

Yeah but he should have actually tried it instead of just accepting nvidias answer to be fair, thats poor journalism when you just take people for their word.

Soldato
The G-Sync module still has its advantages even in midrange. You get the full range of variable refresh rate, ULMB, guaranteed compensation at lower frame rates and superior overdrive performance. Not all monitors are ripoffs.The S2716DG is sub 400 and I have a hard time finding a single FreeSync monitor supporting all these features in 1 package at its price point

Its TN :(

I would be happy with.

IPS/VA
1-120hz gsync (must support a min fps of 30 or lower)
Must have at least 3 of these 4 outputs (which I believe not a single gsync has), DP, HDMI, DVI and VGA. I am ok losing DVI if DP works unbuggy, HDMI and VGA are required so I can use my consoles on the same display. I dont have room for one display for each device.
8 bit or higher colours without using FRC to get there. Native 8bit with a 10bit+frc mode is ok.
Proper heavy not cheap base, adjustable etc.
Large bazel, so I have a clear defined edge to the screen, buttons must not be at back, so easily accessible.
27 inch
1440p
ULMB
Adjustable overdrive.
dell 2209wa level of viewing angle (this screen was apparently an actual H-IPS not eIPS so hard to achieve?)

Dont want
TN
Display without both VGA and HDMI
refresh rate above 120hz, especially weirdness like 144, 120 is good as is some games use 24fps scenes, and 24 fits into 120 cleanly as does 30,60. 24fps scenes stutter on a 60fps screen.
Thin bazel
Active cooling

Also needs to be affordable sub £350 at absolute most, ideally below £300. The most I have ever paid for a monitor is about £250 so £350 already would be a huge spend for me.

Too much to ask?

Mobster
Soldato
Did you notice the title of that article.

NVIDIA To Officially Support VESA Adaptive Sync (FreeSync) Under “G-Sync Compatible” Branding

They understand that, for the general public, FreeSync has become shorthand catch all term for this tech. It will be a struggle to change this now it has taken hold, regardless of the history, standards and marketing.

Would have just been easier to say I am correct, like I knew from the start. Yet still I was argued against, and even a few simpletons tried to say adaptive-sync is not in the eDP spec and/or nVidia is not using adaptive sync.

I'm still sitting here wondering if this is an enthusiasts forum or just a place for a select few clever people with a lot of ** Choose your words carefully in future *** thrown in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
G-SYNC Ultimate = freesync 2:p
Some FreeSync 2 monitors don't even meet G-Sync 1 standards. I am finding monitors with ranges like 48-144 and 72-144 and since AMD's website isn't updated another handful of 30-144hz monitors. Monitors with ranges greater than 40-144 shouldn't even exist.
Assassins creed Odyssey runs at 62 fps on ultra on RTX 2080. That's just 14fps away from the baseline.

MnhbXBG.jpg

Associate
Some FreeSync 2 monitors don't even meet G-Sync 1 standards. I am finding monitors with ranges like 48-144 and 72-144 and since AMD's website isn't updated another handful of 30-144hz monitors. Monitors with ranges greater than 40-144 shouldn't even exist.
Assassins creed Odyssey runs at 62 fps on ultra on RTX 2080. That's just 14fps away from the baseline.

MnhbXBG.jpg
the samsung one with 72-144 was updated with a firmware update to make it 48-144.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7c0hzo/samsung_chg70_freesync_2_update_range_now_48144/

Soldato
No commonly known a VESA adaptive sync is it not? Freesync is just AMDs name for it :confused:
Not really. Monitors list FreeSync in their features and that is how they are marketed, not VESA Adaptive Sync. So for the general public the technology/feature is commonly known as just FreeSync. This is why sites like AnandTech stick it in brackets when they are talking about Adaptive Sync.

Caporegime
Not really. Monitors list FreeSync in their features and that is how they are marketed, not VESA Adaptive Sync. So for the general public the technology/feature is commonly known as just FreeSync. This is why sites like AnandTech stick it in brackets when they are talking about Adaptive Sync.

I do wonder if they will start listing Gsync if they get certified by Nvidia?

Permabanned
It is, A lot of online retailers walk a fine line when marketing products, Often teliing outright lies, Even here on OCUK I've bought models like the Asus ROG Dominator monitor that wasn't a ROG model & an Acer Freesync model that was marketed as being a Predator models which it's not, I've seen sellers and even reviewers calling 3440x1440 monitors 4k monitors but that isn't what they are. Marketing has very blurred lines. I've had 3 different Freesync monitors delivered here, none of them had Freesync on the box they had adaptive-sync on it. Freesync is AMD's way of using Adaptive sync but it's not Freesync just like even if Nvidia call them G-sync compatible it's not G-sync just adaptive sync, what they call their way of using it is up to them. They can call it poor mans G-sync if they want. We tend to call adaptive sync monitors Freesync monitors as until now that's been the only tech taking advantage of it.

Yeah but he should have actually tried it instead of just accepting nvidias answer to be fair, thats poor journalism when you just take people for their word.

+1

They can't be seen to say all these monitor just work, not after their claims of G-sync superiority over the last few years, Doing so would upset a lot of the current G-sync userbase. I'm sure that plenty of software support will be needed to catch up with all the different models, Although plenty of adaptivesync models will never offer a decent experience due to how bad the adaptive sync support is on it I'm hoping they don't just lump monitors into this category on mass in order to reduce the overall workload, As an example my 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor has a 75hz panel with a working range of 30-75, It also has LFC support yet it's not on the list of compatibles and they say they've tested 400 so far Really? It should be as the complaints of blur and blinking issues have never been a problem with it with Freesync. I don't for one minute believe they've tested 400 adaptive sync monitors & if they have I don't believe only 12 pass unless they purposely add conditions to make sure they won't pass.

Back
Top Bottom