Speed cameras appearing on Google Maps?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Anyone else noticed this? Orange circles with CCTV looking cameras in - it's only showed up for 4 cameras on my journey today (SatNav mode), missing most but I haven't seen it before. Anyone else?

Edit:

zLmeCZw.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I noticed it yesterday, but Android Auto doesn't zoom in automatically so it's difficult to know exactly where the cameras are. Waze does a much better job but it's early days.

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe there is a small scale trial going on with some users gaining a report button in the Google maps app. I guess the occasional cameras we are seeing are due to that? I also guess they are looking at bringing some of the Waze functionality into Google Maps.

Soldato
They do get notified during navigation, at least on Android they do. TBH as only some are notified I'd rather just switch the feature off but I'm not sure that is possible.

Soldato
Yeah, small scale test where some people can add speed cameras, along with other relevant information, to Google Maps.

The feature is being rolled out to some Android users after first appearing in the app's code a few months ago, according to Android Police. If you're selected to test the feature you'll see a "+" in a speech bubble in the bottom left corner of the screen.

Pressing it will allow you to report either a speed camera or an accident. This information is then used by Google to generate crowd-sourced information about your local area.

Back
Top Bottom