M25/M1 gantry speed cameras

Soldato
Not that I'm on FB, but the Mrs forwarded something, apparently there is this thing going around that all of the speed cameras will get turned on at midnight, set to 72mp, 90+ is a ban.

I reckon it's BS...but..

Aside from that, what is the deal with those cameras?

I'm never 100% sure, I generally will stick to what it says with acted circle, but when there is no lower limit indicated, I have been going through 85mph, probably pushing 90 and I've never heard anything.

Anyone more informed than I am?

Soldato
Sounds like BS. The cameras are always active I believe, there is no blanket 90+ = ban, those punishments are issued by a court. If the variable speed was set to 40 and you went through at 90 you could expect a ban though.

Caporegime
Some gantry camera have been active for a long time (I see them flashing often when the lower speed limits are not displayed) not all though, ultimately, if you want to go much over 70 I’d find a stretch without gantries which are few and far between these days.

Basically, if it’s on Faceache assume it’s a load of twaddle!

Soldato
Weirdly it seems a lot of gantry cameras have been removed and they only have a few with the yellow ones at the side, definitely the case on M62 round Leeds and M6 round Birmingham?

Soldato
Weirdly it seems a lot of gantry cameras have been removed and they only have a few with the yellow ones at the side, definitely the case on M62 round Leeds and M6 round Birmingham?

Are they the yellow average speed cameras? I dont like them, but at least they stop the morons accelerating between the gantries and then sharply braking.

Soldato

A number of HADECS2 systems (Overhead grey boxes) have now been replaced with HADECS3 systems (Small yellow cameras off the side of the gantry)

HADECS 3 doesn't need hash markings and can catch you from quite a distance, so beware

Man of Honour
A number of HADECS2 systems (Overhead grey boxes) have now been replaced with HADECS3 systems (Small yellow cameras off the side of the gantry)

HADECS 3 doesn't need hash markings and can catch you from quite a distance, so beware
It also works when no limits are displayed but the whole 72mph and fine thing is an internet’s thing. I was flashed 7 weeks back on the M42 but not tickets. I know a person done with one on a none restricted section of the M42.

Soldato
OP
I'd love to know how many people been caught, and doing what.

I don't seem that hear of many people getting caught on those, but...that doesn't mean to say they don't work.

Like I said, I don't push my luck too far, but I have sailed through those doing about 85.

I don't drive on the M1/M25 often (I am aware other motorways have these) but my new job means every other month I need to go on both of these.

Associate
Are they the yellow average speed cameras? I dont like them, but at least they stop the morons accelerating between the gantries and then sharply braking.
no, they're the new cameras used with smart motorways - yellow rectangle tucked to the left of a gantry.
https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm
And it's not that they're suddenly being turned on - I thought they have always been set to "live" at all times, just with a high upper trigger value when the speed limit is 70.

as for OP - I can't imagine they would ever be set to 72mph, but I could see the trigger being about 79-80 to be 10% + 2-3. 72mph is just too close to 70 as you could just argue the thickness of the speedo needle is enough to read 70, so it's ambiguous. Yes, a speedo is never legally meant to read lower than real speed (but up to 10% higher), but someone changing alloys/tyres and resulting in a larger overall diameter could end up near 72mph while the speedo reads 70 (which, yes, is illegal, but I'm sure happens). Personally, I keep my cruise control to 77 (so, probably more like 74 real speed) and not been done yet through all smart motorway cameras.

as for ban speeds - technically, anything over 91 can be a ban (but reality is subject to court case, i think):
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and-used-cars/article/speeding-tickets-explained

Last edited:
Soldato

They don't really stop anything tbh. By the time they get the letter through the post the pileup has already happened. But the government seems to think cameras are a good replacement for traffic cops.

Man of Honour
For informed facts I would suggest Andrew Thompson. He's represented several people I know, including my brother in law, 3 x colleagues of my wife (after I referred her to him on their behalf) and several friends. He publishes a 'Wigipedia' motoring law blog that he tends to keep updated on all things motoring as the law if so often badly referenced and does change now and again.

http://www.counsel.direct/news/

Soldato
The FB post doesn't have a single sentence which is completely true.

Triggered at 72? Unlikely, much more likely to be 79.
6 points - Nope
Instant ban at 90+ - Nope
Possible court appearance, custodial sentence - Well if you're going fast enough to get a ban, of course you'll go to court.

Soldato

This is what I meant. They're not on every gantry and also haven't replaced all the removed cameras.

Note this is not an advice to check they're on a gantry before speeding past, variable limits should be adhered to.

Associate
Never seen the M1 gantry cameras activate without a restricted speed limit (i.e. the signs with the red circles are lit with a number representing a new speed limit) in place on my current commute between jn 6 and 15a . They seem to have a low tolerance set for restricted speed limit - couple of times I've seen cars flashed at what seems only a couple of mph faster than me when I'm driving within the limit.

If they are on without the restricted limit in place, the tolerance must be much higher as I've seen cars hammer past without them activating.

Soldato
I got blinded by the ones on the M1 the other morning.

I'd just joined the motorway at J31N which is unlit when there were multiple blinding flashes from high up on the opposite carriageway. I'd say there were at least 8 double-flashes.

Makes me wonder who thought Gatso style (in terms of the flash) cameras pointing at 70mph oncoming vehicles was a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom