Front rad for Evolv X

Associate
OP
20190110-234135.jpg

20190110-190511.jpg

Build complete, no leaks, good temps, couldn't be happier :cool:

Associate
Hey folks, sorry to res a dead thread, but just started looking at this case for my next build and had a quick question:

Is it possible to get a rad (and if so what thickness) between the outer frame and the dustcover/outer plate?

I'm asking cause I'd like to have the fans inside rather than the rad (mainly for the lighting effect)

Most builds I've seen have said had it [... reservoir | rad | fans | case-frame | filter ], but they've also tended to use thicker rads. It doesn't _look_ like there's enough room, but figured I'd toss the question out there

it seems like it could be possible to do:

[ ... res | fans | rad | case-frame | filter ]
or even potentially
[ ... res | fans | case-frame | rad | filter ]

any thoughts?

Associate
Hey folks, sorry to res a dead thread, but just started looking at this case for my next build and had a quick question:

Is it possible to get a rad (and if so what thickness) between the outer frame and the dustcover/outer plate?

I'm asking cause I'd like to have the fans inside rather than the rad (mainly for the lighting effect)

Most builds I've seen have said had it [... reservoir | rad | fans | case-frame | filter ], but they've also tended to use thicker rads. It doesn't _look_ like there's enough room, but figured I'd toss the question out there

it seems like it could be possible to do:

[ ... res | fans | rad | case-frame | filter ]
or even potentially
[ ... res | fans | case-frame | rad | filter ]

any thoughts?

If you put the rad outside the case between the fan mount and the front panel then you wont be able to use the filter. It will also drastically reduce the airflow at the front.

I'm using an xspc tx 360 in the front of mine and considered putting it res - fan - case frame - rad - front of case, but the clearance for airflow would have been incredibly poor. Plus losing the filter on the main intake would have hurt.

I have no issues with clearance doing res - fan - rad - case frame - filter- front of case with the 20mm thick rad. I'm sure thicker rads would also be just fine as you can see in build log photos and whatnot.
Good luck with your build and pop back to let us know how you get on. :)

Associate
Awesome, thanks for the quick response. Not using the filter is just an invitation for dust catastrophes (or cleaning more than I'll admit I'm capable of as a well-adjusted adult), so it sounds more like the answer is what you went with. I tend to stick with the HWL rads, but the gts 360 is only 30mm, so sounds like I'd be able to get that in with standard 25mm fans and still have room to squeeze a res in. That leaves me with a 240 and 360 gts for a 9900k and 2080ti, which should be sufficient for silent gaming

Full build is still a month or so out, but will definitely aim to keep a log (have to orchestrate a move to Austria before I get to start buying parts), but it'll be my first hard-tubing build and I'm excited that I was able to find a solid water-cooling focused two-rad case. My current build is in an inwin-909, which is gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but is just too big to be so inefficient with space (that awful harddrive zone in the top, which begs you to put a horizontal res there but then is too narrow to fit a d5 pump... grumble), and until i saw the evolvx it seemed like there weren't really any other small-full-tower or big-mid-tower options out there...

Associate
Austria is awesome. The weather and the scenery were amazing, at least from what I remember of my holiday there. I really enjoyed it.

Hwl rads get great reviews and the gts is said to be the best slim rad you can buy so they're a great choice.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article. Best of luck with the move.

Associate
Oh no doubt, I love it, one of the bonuses of marrying an Austrian (who helps me design my builds too!)

Just found a decent build log where they put in a 30mm 360 on the front (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xtWLro6dzg) and it seemed to work fine, i'll go for more flash and circumstance but it at least proves the concept

Will keep ya'll posted (but probably in a new thread)

cheers and thanks for the quick responses, good to join this community after all these years shopping at oc uk hah

Soldato
Oh no doubt, I love it, one of the bonuses of marrying an Austrian (who helps me design my builds too!)

Just found a decent build log where they put in a 30mm 360 on the front (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xtWLro6dzg) and it seemed to work fine, i'll go for more flash and circumstance but it at least proves the concept

Will keep ya'll posted (but probably in a new thread)

cheers and thanks for the quick responses, good to join this community after all these years shopping at oc uk hah

I misunderstood your original question, absolutely, putting the fans on the inside of the rad as per that build you linked is fine, there can be a small performance deficit from 'pulling' through the rad at the front, but honestly considering what you want to do that won't be an issue.

Remember, you want the fans pulling air into the case at the front, and pushing it out the top, so whilst you can have all your fans on the inside of the rads, just orientate them to flow the air correctly.

I only put the fans to the outside because I prefer to keep the rads / fans stealthily and didn't want to spring for RGB (although some Phanteks Halo's might make an appearance some time!)

Associate
I just completed a build in this case with a 420mm Alphacool Nexxxos ST30 at the front, and 280mm Alphacool Nexxos ST30 x-flow in the roof. Corsair ML140 RGB in push on both. No problem fitting everything in, although I had to jankily attach my res to the back wall with two screws and a zip tie to get it to fit, as using a 140mm fan bracket resulted in the res being either too high or too low.

Soldato
I just completed a build in this case with a 420mm Alphacool Nexxxos ST30 at the front, and 280mm Alphacool Nexxos ST30 x-flow in the roof. Corsair ML140 RGB in push on both. No problem fitting everything in, although I had to jankily attach my res to the back wall with two screws and a zip tie to get it to fit, as using a 140mm fan bracket resulted in the res being either too high or too low.

Yeah, the res bracket location is a pain in the backside, either too low/high.

As I have the fans sandwiched between case and rad, and was mounting the reservoir direct to the rad, I was able to use the lower two middle fan holes for the top of the bracket, and then used two smaller washers on each of the bottom res bracket mounts to clamp to the radiator housing, then mounted the rad as high up as it can physically go in the case. for the EK-RES this gives just enough gap for the pump cables and lines up nicely with the case main compartment floor: That's using the same rad as yourself:
KdcKR4p.jpg

Associate
Yeah, the res bracket location is a pain in the backside, either too low/high.

As I have the fans sandwiched between case and rad, and was mounting the reservoir direct to the rad, I was able to use the lower two middle fan holes for the top of the bracket, and then used two smaller washers on each of the bottom res bracket mounts to clamp to the radiator housing, then mounted the rad as high up as it can physically go in the case. for the EK-RES this gives just enough gap for the pump cables and lines up nicely with the case main compartment floor: That's using the same rad as yourself:
KdcKR4p.jpg

Nice! That looks quite a lot better than my solution! Although with my STRIX being excessively long, maybe I would have had compatibility issues.

Excuse the wires, pic of mine:

Eth0T9N.png

Soldato
Nice!, that Strix is crazy long! I might bodge up some ARGB lighting on my reservoir, it's the only thing not lit up!

I'm also annoyed that I can't easily sync the Memory RGB or motherboard RGB to everything else (The case and blocks are all controlled from a corsair commander pro), I have to keep firing up the various invasive apps to set a static colour, or switch to cliche "rainbow wave" etc.. We need government intervention to cure my first world problem!

Associate
I'm also annoyed that I can't easily sync the Memory RGB or motherboard RGB to everything else (The case and blocks are all controlled from a corsair commander pro), I have to keep firing up the various invasive apps to set a static colour, or switch to cliche "rainbow wave" etc.. We need government intervention to cure my first world problem!

I use Asus AURA for my mobo, ram, case (addressable d-rgb header), res and gpu (old rgb header) - but the software is terrible and won't let me control individual components, or do stuff like change the res colour based on liquid temp.

The fans run on Corsair iCue, which is soooo much better, but just for my fans :(

The issue is, despite the standards set for rgb strips, all of them use different interfaces and SDKs, and some cannot even agree on a connector. I don't see it being resolved any time soon. Eg, Corsair will never allow g.skill ram to show in iCue.

The only solution is having multiple security risk hacked together RGB software install at once, bloating up my processes tab :mad:

Associate
After reading Demon and Prozn's posts I went with a 420mm Alphacool ST30 V2 at the front and their 280mm ST30 x-flow at the top. Although I had a bracket to attach the ek pump/res combo to the rad, I went with Prozn's excellent 2 screws and a zip tie method. Because of my ginormous lightning z gpu. Nothing janky about it at all. It's like it was made for the job :) Super secure. Thanks for the tip dude ;) All fits in no probs. Just tried to upload pic, wont let me :(

Last edited:
Associate
I nicked your idea to mount the res but modified it slightly, instead of a zip tie. I trimmed a small piece of plastic from an old hard drive holder. Drilled 2 holes in it, put it behind the wall and screwed the right side of the bracket into it. Super secure and less janky than a zip tie :)

Back
Top Bottom