*** Nintendo Switch ***

Man of Honour
Just tried to play SSB:U with 2 mates in an arena battle and the lag was awful. We all live within 5 miles of each other as well so it’s not like we are asking for a lagless match across the world.

Is a wired ethernet worth it for the switch?

If even one of you has a dodgy Wifi chip (if you ever had a problem with the pre-"repaired" joycons then you have this problem) then it will drop packets and cause lag for everyone in the game. You can generally tell if you have this problem by not having a full signal strength on the WiFi on a 2GHz channel with direct line of sight of the router at 8-10 meters away.

You have all changed your MTU to 1500 too right?

I have no noticeable difference between WiFi and Ethernet but I swapped my Switch rather than "repairing" the joycons so I don't have a dodgy WiFi chip. My MTU is also at 1500 and I am on a 5GHz network.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Cheers for the replies guys. I have had a lot of issues with the joycons and mines a day one console that hasn't been repaired. I have been meaning to send it back for a while but I keep having reasons not to (crap ones but hey ho).

I'll get the others to change their MTU to 1500 as well.

My router is a really good one that I bought to make sure wifi covers our whole flat which has solid concrete walls which made most routers cry. The Swtich is also about 2 foot from the router.

Do Nintendo do anything to the internal wifi chip when you send it in for repair or just the external joycons?

Caporegime
"repair" the joycons, they run some kind of soak test on the wifi but ultimately it holds the connection and so they do nothing about it. Either they don't track packet loss or they just save face and say "well the wifi connects and transmits data, so..."

I'd like to replace mine but I'll keep it for now. If they come out with a "Switch Pro" I'll swap it out for that. Happy staying on ethernet for now.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Its ridiculous how bad the joycons are and you only really realise when you are playing with motion control games. Nintendo are such a Jeckyll and Hyde company when it comes to their customers.

Man of Honour
Cheers for the replies guys. I have had a lot of issues with the joycons and mines a day one console that hasn't been repaired. I have been meaning to send it back for a while but I keep having reasons not to (crap ones but hey ho).

I'll get the others to change their MTU to 1500 as well.

My router is a really good one that I bought to make sure wifi covers our whole flat which has solid concrete walls which made most routers cry. The Swtich is also about 2 foot from the router.

Do Nintendo do anything to the internal wifi chip when you send it in for repair or just the external joycons?

The router won't help.

Nintendo test the Switch's WiFi under ideal conditions and if it passes their test they say it's fine. For the joycons they always add the foam fix without testing as it's cheaper than doing any testing.

If you have a working Switch all joycons (even "bad" launch ones) work well with that Switch even if it's behind your back and you're 14m away (I can't test further with line of sight in my house).

If you have a dodgy wireless chip then the "repair" improves things a lot but you can still get dropped/laggy inputs if you have the joycon behind your back, on your lap or wrap your hands around it. You will also have poor WiFi signal and dropped network packets.

Its ridiculous how bad the joycons are and you only really realise when you are playing with motion control games. Nintendo are such a Jeckyll and Hyde company when it comes to their customers.

The joycons are fine, it's certain Switches that are faulty. All my "bad" joycons from testing with my launch Switch work perfectly with the Mario Odyssey Switch I bought later on. I can confirm with my 500 hours of Splatoon play time with motion controls, with not a single issue with two pairs of "faulty" non-repaired launch joycons.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The joycons are fine, it's certain Switches that are faulty. All my "bad" joycons from testing with my launch Switch work perfectly with the Mario Odyssey Switch I bought later on. I can confirm with my 500 hours of Splatoon play time with motion controls, with not a single issue with two pairs of "faulty" non-repaired launch joycons.

I have done the foam fix on my joycons already and it didn't do much in my opinion. I don't know how much you know about these things Kreeeee but you seems to know you stuff. Is this the part they will replace in the Switch?

https://www.replacebase.co.uk/for-nintendo-switch-replacement-wifi-and-bluetooth-antenna-set-oem/

I am happy opening up and replacing things like this so if its a tenner to fix the wifi issues I will happily pay that.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I have bought a dongle to connect directly to the router and I'll see if that works. Not sure its worth sending the console off if they will just decide its all fine.

Soldato
Donkey Kong is one of the most enjoyable, and at the same time frustrating games I've ever played.

Must have taken me 50+ attempts at killing the big bird baddie at the end of level 2.

Yep, feel your pain, I was even worse, it took a week of evenings for me to get through that, weird thing was after struggling for so long, I just picked it up the next evening and went through, my missus has a funny vid of me jumping around the living room yelling my head off...

Soldato
Yep, feel your pain, I was even worse, it took a week of evenings for me to get through that, weird thing was after struggling for so long, I just picked it up the next evening and went through, my missus has a funny vid of me jumping around the living room yelling my head off...

Yep, first the flying feathers, then jumping in the wind followed by falling bees and eggs lol I'm sure I gained a few extra grey hairs getting through all that

Associate
Anyone picking up Tales of Vesperia?
Tough month for it seeing a lot of people will probably wait for Kingdom hearts 3.

I preordered it months ago from Amazon - just arrived this morning.
Will hopefully start over the weekend (still on Zenoblade Torna at the moment) - never played a Tales game before.

Associate
I preordered it months ago from Amazon - just arrived this morning.
Will hopefully start over the weekend (still on Zenoblade Torna at the moment) - never played a Tales game before.
I've got the Collectors on pre-order on Bandai store, should be getting mine some time this afternoon, but I'm going to leave it alone as it is a Ps4 copy and I want to play it on Switch.
Fantastic game all-round and one of the best tales of game in the franchise.

Associate
I've got the Collectors on pre-order on Bandai store, should be getting mine some time this afternoon, but I'm going to leave it alone as it is a Ps4 copy and I want to play it on Switch.
Fantastic game all-round and one of the best tales of game in the franchise.

This is good to know - I'm really looking forward to it now.

Soldato
If you like anime, you'll like Tales of Vesperia, it's been years since I've played it, but the flow of the story genuinely feels like playing an anime/twisting story, and without saying much, when I thought I'd reached the ending, I really hadn't! Even having played other Tales games, I have a soft spot for Vesperia.

Back
Top Bottom