The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Yes it was a convenience thing actually - my 9 yo daughter had a go on Zwift - I set her up on the Vortex (her bike won't go onto my Flux) so it was easier for me to just shove my bike onto the Vortex straight after and get started, than swap the trainers over. I'm certain I didn't put out 250w, nice as it looks :)
Ahh fair enough, yeah 250w avg at the moment would be very nice! :D ;)

I think I got 9th or something on stage 2 which was the 7am one on Saturday. Much more fun than the usual races.
13th. Still an incredible result! Really a course which suits you! Well done, remember it's 'not a race' like most things on Zwift trololol :D

There's plenty of climbing races if you want them, the 'hilly' series from WBR/3R spring to mind. Several 'KOM' races too :cool:

Soldato
13th. Still an incredible result! Really a course which suits you! Well done, remember it's 'not a race' like most things on Zwift trololol :D

There's plenty of climbing races if you want them, the 'hilly' series from WBR/3R spring to mind. Several 'KOM' races too :cool:

Pah, 13th is no good. I will try harder on stage 3 Wednesday morning probably.
Like to think the one up the big mountain will be good but we shall see!

I get absolute drama from the other half if I go on Zwift so limited to super early in mornings and a Saturday. So severely limits the event thingies I can go onto on Zwift unfortunately.

Soldato
I get absolute drama from the other half if I go on Zwift so limited to super early in mornings and a Saturday. So severely limits the event thingies I can go onto on Zwift unfortunately.
Haha similar here. Although I don't get drama... Much more closely "I need to go on Zwift to get a good session and get myself back on track this weekend" "OK".
Weekend comes.
"Going on Zwift this morning for at least 2, hopefully 3 hours" "OK, but make sure you do #this, #this and #this first."
Get riding delayed and miss the race/rides I wanted to jump into. Do a good long warm up and jump in a race.
Aiming at another race afterwards but get a TXT 'are you going to be done soon/we need to do X/little one is tired so need to eat/early lunch because of X this afternoon' etc, etc ;) :Rolleyes:

To be fair there is far more instance of training rides in the mornings than the evenings. WBR/3R do 'Igniter'/VOLT and other stuff usually starting at 6am/6.30/7am almost every weekday. I can't fit them into my schedule as work @8am and need my beauty sleep! ;) But they might work well for you!

Most weekday evenings you have a choice of races but they're litterally on the hour, so 7pm, 8pm, 9pm. I like to be done in an hour but getting out for 7 is impossible (cooking dinner) and 9pm is too late. So my only chance is to catch the race at 8pm, if I'm racing. Most of the time that's less than 30 mins since eating...! :eek:

STAGE 3: KEITH HILL AFTER PARTY 8pm tomorrow night is my aim. Gotta commute with the chariot today and tomorrow, but not Thursday. Would rather not be fatigued for that tomorrow so wednesday night it is and only 1 chance at that time slot! Will be the same for much of the other stages (6pm too early, 10pm too late!). :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
STAGE 3: KEITH HILL AFTER PARTY 8pm tomorrow night is my aim.
That one hurt, but damn good training!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2067537286/
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=121263

Tough start with around 2k riders in the pen which swelled to 2300 with the late joiners once we'd kicked off. No huge Zwift problem this time (loads of riders had freezes last time, me included, while others ended up on another course/reverse route). I found myself in the front group which was huge, maybe 300 riders! As things strung out and a couple of riders around me with team tags where easing into things (rather than charging to close every gap) a bit of chatting and we formed up into the main chase group. We'd lost the main front by 10-15s at this point as it was such a large group. As our numbers swelled we actually reeled them back in, then as riders tried to bridge the chase group splintered again and the gap opened up. The front was decimated before it reached Keith hill and our chase group had reformed into around 40-50 riders again at that point, reeling in many smaller groups from up front. I put some big pulls in to splinter/chase before the climb, then rested on the run into it intending to ramp up and try to hold the pace until the middle part of the climb. My tactic worked, must have dropped 20+ riders in the bottom section but things where soon splintered everywhere (hardly a surprise on this circuit). I must have passed another 20-30 riders blowing up from the front group on the early slopes, but that in itself was a problem - I was going too hard. With riders all over the place it was hard to settle in, everyone seemed to be dropping or moving up, so by the time the flat/ease section came I knew I was in trouble as I'd burnt so many matches already. My HR barely dropping back down, back into the climb I climbed stood on the tougher ramp which helped keep the power up. But did mean I was on the absolute limit for the last tough ramp, losing several places (which I only made a couple back in the end sprint for the line). As the gradient eased loads of guys put huge kicks in, when I actually eased before then ramping into my sprint for the line when they where all cooked. Happy with the result though (top 300 on screen & top 200 on ZP). :cool:

Average power at 249W for 59 minutes being pretty much bang on my estimation of my current FTP at 250W. Nice to see I can kinda 'judge' my FTP! :)

Last edited:
Associate
https://www.strava.com/activities/2067201926
Similar to mine @Roady i did the start at 6pm
Don’t enjoy the flats much.
Enjoyed the ride tho
Still doing fasted rides so not at 100% though no excuses just lots of sweating and cussing
1km from the end I wisely decided to push it hard for a good finish( a bit like you) but had to sit down after 100m puffed out:D
Stage 4 Friday night nearly here.
JB

Associate
Similar to mine on stage three too https://www.strava.com/activities/2067208268/overview I was worried as I missed the start by a couple of minutes, so grateful that Zwift accommodates latecomers.

Struggling with indigestion when drinking at the moment so stayed in zone 3 heartrate so as not to push too hard, but pretty happy with progress since being off for 4 months until December. Limited riding at the moment due to work too.

Stage 4 Saturday for me. Looking forward to Alpe du Zwift in a few stages time, haven't been up there for ages.

Soldato
I’m giving TrainerRoad a go at the moment as although Zwift is lots of fun, their training plans aren’t a patch on TRs. Did my first workout of the sweet spot base tonight and am now recovering in the bath! It was properly hard work!

Associate

Didn't know about this site, just signed up as the in game leader board appears to have been turned off for the TDZ now. I know they aren't a "race" but I find it good motivation to keep pushing to maintain/gain places!

After having a fail with my Vortex on Stage 3 and not having it calibrated correctly, it was too tight, so once the hill gradient ramped up on Keith Hill my power readings dropped off and I lost a lot of places. So for Stage 4 I made sure to calibrate the trainer and had an average 304W (3.66w/kg) for the event which is a new record for me. Going to have a rest day tomorrow as planning on doing the medium Fondo on Sunday.

Soldato
Great work Roady - the legs are waking up keep them busy! :cool:

Anyone doing stage 4 Saturday morning?
That's the hope, they're feeling good so fingers crossed! Stage 4 saturday afternoon/evening for me as got the little one in the morning while the other half works.

Screw doing a climb like that (not to mention the manic flats) fasted! You nutter! Good work through, time not too dissimilar to mine (although several minutes behind me on Keith, but I was utterly destroyed!)

Similar to mine on stage three too https://www.strava.com/activities/2067208268/overview I was worried as I missed the start by a couple of minutes, so grateful that Zwift accommodates latecomers.

Struggling with indigestion when drinking at the moment so stayed in zone 3 heartrate so as not to push too hard, but pretty happy with progress since being off for 4 months until December. Limited riding at the moment due to work too.

Stage 4 Saturday for me. Looking forward to Alpe du Zwift in a few stages time, haven't been up there for ages.
I was riding within 30 minutes and it showed, had to really keep myself from any huge efforts early on as I do tend to get a stitch quite easily riding so soon after food. Thankfully nothing this time - possibly it being really cool (+ taking the dog for a walk first), but I tasted bile several times! Actually surprised with some of those HR spikes I didn't throw up - have done that before! :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

Great riding and time too! Quite looking forward to AdZ too. In a sadistic kinda way! :D :cool:

I’m giving TrainerRoad a go at the moment as although Zwift is lots of fun, their training plans aren’t a patch on TRs. Did my first workout of the sweet spot base tonight and am now recovering in the bath! It was properly hard work!
But TR is BORING. It hurts with no distractions lol ;)

Looks like a world choice option is coming to Zwift soon
To be fair it's long overdue and something they should've promised much much sooner.

Anyone Touring Sufferlandria this year?

Stage one alone looks horrific.
Not me this year. Boycotting the platform in protest about what was said about Android lol

Didn't know about this site, just signed up as the in game leader board appears to have been turned off for the TDZ now. I know they aren't a "race" but I find it good motivation to keep pushing to maintain/gain places!

After having a fail with my Vortex on Stage 3 and not having it calibrated correctly, it was too tight, so once the hill gradient ramped up on Keith Hill my power readings dropped off and I lost a lot of places. So for Stage 4 I made sure to calibrate the trainer and had an average 304W (3.66w/kg) for the event which is a new record for me. Going to have a rest day tomorrow as planning on doing the medium Fondo on Sunday.
Big numbers, but take them with a pinch of salt with a Vortex! Calibration is key though, you're right about that!

Zwiftpower for everything. Consider it the race results from the race admins, not Zwift and then you start to realise/understand how important it is (and the huge gap Zwift have to bridge if they are ever to be considered a valid esports platform).

Associate
Stage 4 done https://www.strava.com/activities/2072794881 in about 1:02. Pretty happy with that, about 3 w/kg all the way, so I'm not sure if that's great pacing or meant I should have saved a bit more for the KOM.

Weight to lose still and power to gain to get back up to 3.7 W/kg I had before, but that'll come. Mind you, this is using a Vortex so who knows what the real number is. Calibrated using the app though, and inside the green, although slightly on the tight side.

One question for you all - since syncing with ZwiftPower Zwift didn't show me the position in the event either during or at the end, is that to be expected? 191/553 on ZwiftPower at the moment although 1100 in the event.

Soldato
One question for you all - since syncing with ZwiftPower Zwift didn't show me the position in the event either during or at the end, is that to be expected? 191/553 on ZwiftPower at the moment although 1100 in the event.

I think on the Zwift Racers Facebook group a few mentioned the rankings not showing anymore as well, so I think it's unrelated to you sync'ing with ZwiftPower.

Soldato
No rankings because it’s not a race ;)

If you start in 2000 place then it’s almost impossible to finish at the front no matter how strong you are.

Soldato
Stage 4 done https://www.strava.com/activities/2072794881 in about 1:02. Pretty happy with that, about 3 w/kg all the way, so I'm not sure if that's great pacing or meant I should have saved a bit more for the KOM.

Weight to lose still and power to gain to get back up to 3.7 W/kg I had before, but that'll come. Mind you, this is using a Vortex so who knows what the real number is. Calibrated using the app though, and inside the green, although slightly on the tight side.

Great time! Mine was 1:14 but I rode that quite reserved and felt very fatigued the whole ride.

Zwift have removed the positions from Tour de Zwift, as mentioned 'it's not a race'! :rolleyes:

They where very broken anyway. Zwift seems to struggle with more than ~1000 riders in an event, but it is only these large events which attract that number so they don't get many chances to test/check things. We should see it getting better as TdZ has been really popular this year, even the 'quiet' time rides drawing in many hundreds of riders.

Within ZP you can check your position to all those riders detected by ZP by going to the event and clicking 'LIVE' at the top. It shows all event riders finishing positions on the course, regardless of their starting/finishing times and I think also if they're registered on ZP or not. So those positions should be pretty close to what Zwift reports on their popup at the end (but regularly doesn't!). Then after all results filtered/processed and ZP opt-in's etc are taken into account the 'actual' results on the initial screen you see. :cool:

Speaking of platform specific... anyone using/used Fulgaz? Been looking through their video library and it looks very impressive. Just wondering what the app is like.
Have heard a few good things about it and have been meaning to give it a try at some point. Brian Rhoden likes it and that's good enough for me (he's done 81 ascents of AdZ!). He does a ton of videos (records every ride and uploads to Youtube), so is quite a good follow as he does use the various different platforms.

No rankings because it’s not a race ;)

If you start in 2000 place then it’s almost impossible to finish at the front no matter how strong you are.
Agreed. Didn't realise you where in the same Stage 4 ride as me mate - did see your avatar flash past on the descent afterwards! I should've hunted you down and ridden with you to pace myself better! :)

Rode Stage 4 @ 6pm Saturday - Volcano circuits with summit finish on Volcano KOM.
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=121792
https://www.strava.com/activities/2074050387
Brutal one for me as I was feeling quite fatigued before even starting. Combination of things but consider heavier week of riding than usual (TdZ) with a heavy baby chariot ride on friday night (headwinds home towing +20kg) and then rubbish/broken sleep for several nights (little one is ill from teething) and just a day of none stop #stuff. I mistakenly rode in a 3-3.5w/kg group up front, but got shelled into lap 2. With the circuit some large groups formed up with large gaps between them. Did some good solo/2up work but when a small chase group caught us didn't last long before dropping again. Tried to rest more this time before the next group, quite a big one, gathered us up. Eventually got shelled again (after pretty much hitting the wall while in the wheels). Just couldn't hold 3w/kg or ramp anything to chase, brutal. Recovered ok as when the next group blasted past me just before the climb I didn't even try to chase, but 1/3 up the climb I'd caught them and within a few minutes had dropped most of them. Found a good, but fatigued rhythm which seemed to reel in and drop many others as things where split everywhere. Some of the handful I'd caught blasted past me on the ease in the middle of the final ramp. It had been a while since I'd done this climb but I remembered it was there! I caught them quite quickly, when I ramped up for the final sprint I must have caught 10-15 other riders - none of them seemed to have any sprint, or anything left for one! :cool:

Happy with my ride, especially how I was feeling for it. Power really down and utterly empty during the ride a couple of times, but paced it well to have enough for a good climb and hard finish. Felt I could've gone harder - which is a perfect feeling at this stage. :)

Caporegime
Have heard a few good things about it and have been meaning to give it a try at some point. Brian Rhoden likes it and that's good enough for me (he's done 81 ascents of AdZ!). He does a ton of videos (records every ride and uploads to Youtube), so is quite a good follow as he does use the various different platforms.
Since it would cost me quite a lot to invest... try it and let me know!

Back
Top Bottom