• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Ree

Ree

Associate
so it's working as intended :p

boys from amd had a long new year of hitting the bevvy hard and just needed to put things on a list so not to be fired :D

Soldato
so it's working as intended :p

boys from amd had a long new year of hitting the bevvy hard and just needed to put things on a list so not to be fired :D

I think the confusion is from how amd name the notification.
And I believe you shouldn't get the update message if you already running beta driver.

For example
If you running 19.1.1 you should only get a notification if a new driver is ready 19.2.1 for example.
If you check manually then you get told a recommended driver is available 18.12.2 and optional 19.2.1

Permabanned
Update for 21:9 VSR support

I just installed 19.1.1 and VSR is now working with 3440x1440 monitors.

Finally able to do VSR on my Ultrawide :D

Great news :D

I just tried some Wolfenstein 2 at 5120x2160 and it did surprisingly well staying north of 60 for the most part, There's a selection of the usual suspects that need a lot of tweaking to run well but for the most part they manage to look as good at lower settings on the higher res as they did at higher settings with the lower res so it sorta cancels it out in those games making it a completely pointless switch :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else getting a black screen issue with the latest drivers? I'm having to stick with 18.12.1 as any drivers later than those give me a black screen when I restart. Windows starts to load but after the Windows logo I just get a black screen. I have to go into safe mode to remove the drivers so I can reinstall 18.12.1.

Permabanned
Anyone else getting a black screen issue with the latest drivers? I'm having to stick with 18.12.1 as any drivers later than those give me a black screen when I restart. Windows starts to load but after the Windows logo I just get a black screen. I have to go into safe mode to remove the drivers so I can reinstall 18.12.1.

I'm using Vega64 with 19.1.1, no problems to report yet.

Soldato
@GoogalyMoogaly @Martini1991 @Shiari

FYI
This is how the driver will list updates available. Currently installed beta driver, recommenced driver will be the last WHQL driver and the latest new beta driver will be shown as optional.

The confusion is coming from the software popping up with a older driver, and I believe only when the user manually checks for update it should list the older driver.

230352080f5221cecdfc142bae206af8a145f7f08ae7cd489fbbc7b8b610f55d59745125.jpg

Soldato
Does AMD have the option to force adaptive v-sync yet (so v-sync on when hitting refresh, and off if you drop frames)? When I still had my 290 you had to use radeon pro or similar to get it. I did search, but a lot of people seem to confuse adaptive v-sync with adaptive sync.

I guess with freesync being cheap and fairly common, there's not much call, but it's still a nice option to have.

Thanks.

Associate
Does AMD have the option to force adaptive v-sync yet (so v-sync on when hitting refresh, and off if you drop frames)? When I still had my 290 you had to use radeon pro or similar to get it. I did search, but a lot of people seem to confuse adaptive v-sync with adaptive sync.

I guess with freesync being cheap and fairly common, there's not much call, but it's still a nice option to have.

Thanks.

I think AMD Enhanced Sync basically does this.

At frame rates at and above refresh rate it will display the latest full frame rendered - so basically vsync but it can discard an older frame from buffer to display the latest frame to minimise input lag, with no tearing - below refresh rate it's basically vsync off, so you may get tearing but again it tries to minimise input lag.

Associate
@GoogalyMoogaly @Martini1991 @Shiari

FYI
This is how the driver will list updates available. Currently installed beta driver, recommenced driver will be the last WHQL driver and the latest new beta driver will be shown as optional.

The confusion is coming from the software popping up with a older driver, and I believe only when the user manually checks for update it should list the older driver.

230352080f5221cecdfc142bae206af8a145f7f08ae7cd489fbbc7b8b610f55d59745125.jpg
There was no confusion, it was a bug. The release notes confirm this so hopefully it's fixed now.

Soldato
There was no confusion, it was a bug. The release notes confirm this so hopefully it's fixed now.

Agreed the pop up telling you a new driver is available was the bug that AMD fixed. Like a said above and where I am not wrong is when you manually check for an update! See image above. This is what AMD has done for a very long time.

Soldato
Get the notification EVERYTIME I boot up. Mildly irritating to have it pop up when I have a newer driver installed. Dumb.

Of course... I am the type that is mildly obsessed with closing out notifications so for me it is annoying.

Back
Top Bottom