*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Honestly, i think you would be better off lifting hard and often on a deficit if you think you have fat to lose. You will gain/keep strength and even build in areas while burning because of the weight you are at.

If you dont like cardio, don't bother. Just go back into a deficit and keep aiming to up your weights you are lifting, the body changes will come sooner than you think.

Ignore the scales or only check them once every one or two weeks.

Permabanned
Honestly, i think you would be better off lifting hard and often on a deficit if you think you have fat to lose. You will gain/keep strength and even build in areas while burning because of the weight you are at.

If you dont like cardio, don't bother. Just go back into a deficit and keep aiming to up your weights you are lifting, the body changes will come sooner than you think.

Ignore the scales or only check them once every one or two weeks.

cardio makes you good at cardio
lifting weights make you good at lifting weights

Moving your body burns calories.

That's exactly it really. I don't necessarily enjoy cardio, but it's MUCH easier for me to do regularly as I can do it fasted in the mornings before work. I just can't lift that early in the day, let alone on an empty belly. Like I said, there's no way I'm cutting the strength training out. It's basically a hobby at this point now and I do really enjoy it. But I'm one of those people that NEEDS to eat before I hit the weights and with the way my schedule works, that basically means me throwing in an extra 300-400 calories 5 days out of the week. There's a very good chance I'm dramatically overthinking all of this of course, but I'm just sick of having a belly!

I will absolutely take Avenged's advise on consistently upping the weights though. Worked too hard on getting out of the noob zone just to stick at benching 40KG now.

Last edited:
Soldato
When do you squeeze in the gym?

You could dial it down to 3/4 days a week. I can't go to the gym on an empty stomach but i normally have like a banana and a protein shake before going - something like 215Kcals together. Doesn't make me full but I won't be hungry. A decent serving of porridge is 150-200Kcal and will fuel and sate you too.

Permabanned
When do you squeeze in the gym?

You could dial it down to 3/4 days a week. I can't go to the gym on an empty stomach but i normally have like a banana and a protein shake before going - something like 215Kcals together. Doesn't make me full but I won't be hungry. A decent serving of porridge is 150-200Kcal and will fuel and sate you too.

5/6 times a week at the moment. 3/4 days after work and usually once late Saturday morning. Don't think I could to do just 3 days a week though... would feel too much like I wasn't making an effort and I'd loose the motivation.

Soldato
5/6 times a week at the moment. Don't think I could to do just 3 days a week though... would feel too much like I wasn't making an effort and I'd loose the motivation.

If you want to train that often and can take it, then awesome as the best plan is the one that keeps you motivated. Eat to suit your goal and keep at it.

Man of Honour
Up protein, drop cals, lift weights = profit.

Cardio isn't strictly necessary.

I've never done cardio and never done a bulk/cut.

Same here. No cardio. I just eat decently (nothing to crazy!) and train hard. Do what you enjoy. I hate cardio and just wouldn’t do it. A decent squat/deadlift session is also pretty good cardio :p

Soldato
That's exactly it really. I don't necessarily enjoy cardio, but it's MUCH easier for me to do regularly as I can do it fasted in the mornings before work. I just can't lift that early in the day, let alone on an empty belly. Like I said, there's no way I'm cutting the strength training out. It's basically a hobby at this point now and I do really enjoy it. But I'm one of those people that NEEDS to eat before I hit the weights
I agree with advice about cardio vs weights not being overly important, but I'd add that "cardio" is often a name given to slow and steady bike or crosstrainer sessions that aren't actually beneficial to cardio performance, and in my opinion are really just mildly heightened calorie burning sessions. While I can lift fasted, if I try, for instance, a really tough long cardio row without eating my legs simply don't have any power after a certain point in the session.

I lost 10kg over the space of just over 4 months a year ago, and did it by using myfitnesspal, and by adhering to a working weekday calorie deficit through skipping breakfast and substituting my old lunch with a post-gym protein shake. (I didn't track or diet at weekends).

This was after years of trying to avoid proper calorie control and trying to lose weight through exercise instead.

Losing fat - in my experience - is without doubt 95% about maintaining diet discipline, by whatever means works for you.

Soldato
During last stint of weight loss, got rid of 10kg in 6 weeks without so much as a hint of cardio apart from little extra walking to a new job. It is a calorie game end of the day, can't out exercise a bad diet but can achieve great results with diet alone.

Combining good diet with a decent exercise regime is when you're onto a winner.

Soldato
Argh, still can't squat or deadlift with whatever's going on in my groin. Had my testicles checked out today and they're all fine (refers to my earlier post) but after going back to BJJ it's still playing up and deadlifting with just the bar caused my groin some discomfort.

I'll probably have to give it at least another couple of weeks. Any suggestions as to what I can do instead of squat to DL in the mean time? Something which basically doesn't require any sort of squatting movement.

Man of Honour
Argh, still can't squat or deadlift with whatever's going on in my groin. Had my testicles checked out today and they're all fine (refers to my earlier post) but after going back to BJJ it's still playing up and deadlifting with just the bar caused my groin some discomfort.

I'll probably have to give it at least another couple of weeks. Any suggestions as to what I can do instead of squat to DL in the mean time? Something which basically doesn't require any sort of squatting movement.

Just stop and rest or just do upper body.

Soldato
Acute pain? Any lumps or bumps?

Soldato
Acute pain? Any lumps or bumps?

A dull ache, off and on (mostly off now). It's not severe pain and doesn't stop me doing anything, I'm just aware of it. No lumps and bumps, had them checked out. I can feel I've pulled a muscle in my groin next to them. I asked about an ultra sound and she said she doesn't think I need one (I went to the GUM clinic as trying to see my doctor is nigh on impossible).

Man of Honour
is it in the tessers or groin next to them? i pulled the tendon in the groin when i was a kid playing rugby and that was dull ache just to side and then pain when aggravated

Back
Top Bottom