Anyone else not find things funny?

Soldato
Watch 'Taskmaster', unlike most comedy shows that are old and tired, it's Hilarious.
I love Taskmaster, I'd classify myself similar to OP in that not much makes me laugh out loud, but Taskmaster makes me giggle like a schoolgirl sometimes. It's a brilliant concept putting funny people in scenarios where they can just be organically funny themselves. And the ribbing between themselves and Greg and Alex is great too.

Caporegime
Not sure if there is something wrong with me and I'm just a miserable **** but I don't find 99% of the things other people laugh at funny. I've never been depressed and I'm a popular guy with lots of friends but people seem to laugh at anything.

For example someone at work was just saying the big bang theory makes him cry with laughter everytime he watches it. I have saw an episode before and didn't smirk once. Was at the cinema watching guardians of the galaxy years ago, and everyone was laughing out loud at the end credits when the little plant thing kept dancing and when Batista turned round he stopped...honestl h couldn't work out what was funny.

In the office I'm convinced people have a ''corporate' laugh as well. Don't get me wrong i laugh out loud at the classics like OFAH, The Office, Fawlty Towers, Tommy Cooper but I just think comedy now is awful and the **** people laugh at is just dumb humour.

Yes maybe I am a miserable so and so before I get called it ;)

arghhhh - the big bang theory is just for sheep that follow the crowd it isn't funny, neither is friends it's another "sheep" show.

i find the best way to prove your sense of humour isn't broken is by how much you can make other people laugh throughout the day with one liners and jokes, etc.

if nobody laughs at your banter then chances are you are broken

Man of Honour
Eh I find Big Bang Theory amusing mostly though I gave up about 1.5 series back, not constantly laugh out loud funny but for the most part fun with at times good humour.

I've often found things other people are sitting their losing their **** over less than funny though - some of the often named classic show for instance I find largely trying too hard with the odd really good line every 1-2 episodes.

Soldato
I wouldnt call big bang theory funny. I'd call it light entertainment.

Anyone who is laughing out loud is obviously faking it, or needs to be treated by the people in white coats immediately!

Soldato
Could be worse, there is a guy I know who laughs hysterically at absolutely anything, even things that are not in anyway funny...

God that guy gets on my nerves... I have to actively filter what I say around him to try and avoid saying anything that might make him break down with laughter.

Associate
OP
For me the only comedy that I think is funny is either comedy you can relate to like the Inbetweeners, The Office or comedy that is realistic like OFAH, Curb your enthusiasm. That's why Peter Kay is so popular as you can relate to what he says.

Most of the comedies now are just completely unrealistic hence not funny

Soldato
Not sure if there is something wrong with me and I'm just a miserable **** but I don't find 99% of the things other people laugh at funny. I've never been depressed and I'm a popular guy with lots of friends but people seem to laugh at anything.

For example someone at work was just saying the big bang theory makes him cry with laughter everytime he watches it. I have saw an episode before and didn't smirk once. Was at the cinema watching guardians of the galaxy years ago, and everyone was laughing out loud at the end credits when the little plant thing kept dancing and when Batista turned round he stopped...honestl h couldn't work out what was funny.

In the office I'm convinced people have a ''corporate' laugh as well. Don't get me wrong i laugh out loud at the classics like OFAH, The Office, Fawlty Towers, Tommy Cooper but I just think comedy now is awful and the **** people laugh at is just dumb humour.

Yes maybe I am a miserable so and so before I get called it ;)

I find loads and loads of stuff funny - actual real life 'LOL' funny; but it is mostly comedy from years ago, when the PC/Social Justice/Whatever 'ism' **** hadn't become so prevalent.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s, so love the old classics such as Blackadder, Bottom, Hale and Pace, Fast Show, Harry Enfield, Red Dwarf, Father Ted etc etc etc. I have recently started to listen to and watch a lot of Jim Davidson stuff again, and the things he comes out with often give me a good laugh, same goes with old Bob Monkhouse stuff. George Carlin, Bill Burr, Kevin Hart - there's simply loads of stuff out there that does make me laugh.

Stupid things in movies make me laugh too - recently watched the film Blockers, and there's a bit where limo driver pukes - I honestly replayed that bit about 8 times before the Wife told me off. I had tears in my eyes, and even typing about it is giving me a wry smile.

Some recent comedy and films seem to try too hard to be funny, and lose the subtlety that made some of the past greats, great. I also find that a lot of new stuff often focuses on the narcissistic nature of social media life, and as I have no involvement in that sort of thing (at the ripe old age of ~38), it gets no laughs from me.

You mention that you're not depressed and have a lot of friends - but are you actually happy? I think that might account for at least some of how you feel - take that with a mahoosive pinch of salt mind, as I'm no expert (I work in IT, not people's heads). It's either something like that, or you might just be seeing the modern, watered-down we-don't-want-to-offend-anybody rubbish that's around now. Maybe go back through a few decades and watch some of the stuff from the 90s.

Comedic value is hugely subjective though, the embellished fanciful stories a comedian tells, might have others rolling is the isles, but will plain confuse others. It's swings and roundabouts I guess.

Soldato
The Big Bang is about as funny as a car crash.

I don't find much funny, Milton Jones is about the only comedian I sometimes find funny, it's brief, silly jokes but he has a way of making them funny.

Alex Jones can also be funny at times.

You're joking right? I had the utmost displeasure of seeing Milton Jones live, I didn't laugh the whole way through, I found his jokes very predictable and not funny at all. Other people were laughing and I couldn't work out what was wrong with them.

Back
Top Bottom