Which silent PSU?

Associate
Looking for advice between either of these PSUs:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £236.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

I picked the Corsair due to it's
semi-passive fan mode that facilitates silent operation under light and moderate loads. Additionally, a relaxed fan profile helps minimize noise output under more taxing scenarios. Corsair paid a lot of attention to acoustics in its RMx and RMi families, and the result is impressive indeed: they're both some of the quietest PSUs in their respective classes.

and

Load for fan to turn on (%) 40%

However it may be that it's nosier when it starts spinning up versus the be quiet! PSU.

Which do people think would be the quieter PSU?

Associate
OP
A couple of places have mentioned the ticking/rattling noise with the Seasonic Focus:

Here:
I have the 650w Seasonic 80+ Gold Focus from OC
Gotta say it's solid so far, I wouldn't have a problem recommending it at all.
Just fyi, my PSU gives a very slight ticking noise and on reading about this around forums it seems part of the function of the hybrid fan if your fussy about silly noises I would avoid.

I had the 750watt version of this until I got something else. On a water cooled (near silent) build, when just idling using the desktop, this ticking drove me insane. I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking putting that fan in, the motor makes that noise at low rpm. My solution was to turn the hybrid mode off! Can't hear the fan when it's spinning just that little bit faster.

and @6m59s:

Associate
OP
Thinking about it more I think I'll get the RMx 750w, increased power gives more headroom before the 40% load is reached. Can't get more silent than 0RPM :D

Back
Top Bottom