Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Just wondering how the fluval one would fit in the tank compared to the one I've got, would like as few visible wires as possible.

Sorry for all the probably dumb questions, your pointers have been extremely helpful though.

As its a Fluval Edge stick it right in the middle on the back glass, the back casing/filter will camouflage it and then use rocks/wood/plants to hide it.

Also dont rely on the heaters internal thermostat as i find they are anywhere from +/- 3’c get yourself a controller

SCHEGO Titanium heaters all the way, you will need a controller, wouldn't trust another glass heater again prone to fail.

Lets remember this is a Fluval Edge that will have at the most £20 of basic fish in it and not a reef costing £x000. A standard heater is perfectly fine, you absolutely do not 'need' a controller.

I will start dosing co2 and see what that does, the bottle says 1ml per 50l so I'm dosing 2ml as it's a 125l, should I double the dosage initially?

No you should start off with a half dose initally as somethjng like that is a big change

The dosage on the bottle is conservative, just dose it in full strength. But just doing liquid carbon isn't a magic 'cure all' and doesn't address the root cause. Water changes and tweaking light/fertilisers are the best way of dealing with algae in a sustainable way.

Dosing liquid CO2 could make it worse if the problem is a lack of available nutrients. Dosing instructions on aquarium fertilisers is generally based on low light, light to moderate planting and no CO2, you will certainly need to dose more if you start using liquid CO2.

Soldato
As its a Fluval Edge stick it right in the middle on the back glass, the back casing/filter will camouflage it and then use rocks/wood/plants to hide it.

Lets remember this is a Fluval Edge that will have at the most £20 of basic fish in it and not a reef costing £x000. A standard heater is perfectly fine, you absolutely do not 'need' a controller.

The dosage on the bottle is conservative, just dose it in full strength. But just doing liquid carbon isn't a magic 'cure all' and doesn't address the root cause. Water changes and tweaking light/fertilisers are the best way of dealing with algae in a sustainable way.

Dosing liquid CO2 could make it worse if the problem is a lack of available nutrients. Dosing instructions on aquarium fertilisers is generally based on low light, light to moderate planting and no CO2, you will certainly need to dose more if you start using liquid CO2.

Well in that case he should go for the Eheim thermo preset, no dialing in temp is set at 25

Soldato
Thanks both of you, I will probably replace the heater next month as that's the one part I'm not sure how old it is. But thats if my lad wants to go tropical, I know I'd love him to get a betta but thats up to him.

I will look at that heater though thanks, tell you despite how much more expensive this is than I was expecting I'm eyeing up a 5ft tank for myself in the not so distant future lol

Soldato
It doesn't really matter where it goes so long as there is water movement around it and the placement is in accordance with the manufactures (some suggest an angle some don't), if your unsure of the heater quality just ensure you have a decent thermometer and keep an eye on the temp every so often. A betta would still need a heater in this country to be far.

re 5ft tank dreams, lol one of the best bits of advice I got before buying a tank was buy the largest you can afford, had I done that originally I may not have ended up with 4 :D

Soldato
It's funny I feel I'd have been better off just buying a new tank and not having to get new bits for this Fluval Edge...

I've only got space for a 5ft tank unless they do 5.5ft haha as the other open space has the radiator on it and I can imagine that playing merry hell with temps during the winter when it's on full whack and god knows what else...

For me though I'd be torn between getting a pair of or single oscar as I love those fish or slowly and I mean over many months doing a marine or reef tank.

Soldato
Officially it goes in the tank, in the edge the only place to hide it is in the middle of the back wall where the filter runs down the back of the tank next to the inlet and outlet.

It looks like you are already suffering from multiple tank syndrome and you haven’t even started yet. The edge is a nice nano tank, you can get some really great looking setups in one.

A 5ft is a decent sized tank, especially if you get one that is also deep.

Soldato
For me though I'd be torn between getting a pair of or single oscar as I love those fish or slowly and I mean over many months doing a marine or reef tank.

To me Oscars are a waste of a big tank :) they do look nice but there inability to have any tank mates leaves a pretty boring tank.

Marine > Oscar anyday. so long as you have the funds/time to do so.

Soldato
Okay so I'm not going to electrocute myself by having this heater fully submersed at the bottom middle of my tank, so it's as well hidden as possible? Doesn't seem to have a temperature gauge on it just a dial at the top with nothing on it I can see but a blue dial, I do have a thermometer though already so guess I can work it out until I replace it.

I just love them, way back when I was a kid my Dad initially kept 4 pretty small ones, two tigers and I think two albino. He didn't know anything about them really so suffice to say for one of the tigers it didn't end well so we rehomed the other and kept the two albino's until my mum just decided one day to get shut of them and fill the tank with angels etc.

One of the Oscars in particular had so much character though and would take food from your fingers...

Soldato
Also what do you guys recommend for fish foods Tropical and cold wise?

Hit and miss with dry food, try and get some small sachets of pellets to see what they take mine are incredibly fussy eaters with pellets, flake always goes down well though, frozen brine shrimp as a treat couple of times a week.

Soldato
Pretty much that. I haven’t personally found anything that my community fish won’t eat.

Currently using Fluval bug bites and some fish science standard flakes with some frozen here and there.

For a beta and other tiny fish I would be buying the small sized pellets and the smallest packet size available. They have long shelf lives but do go stale once you open it.

Soldato
I put it in frozen as well! it defrosts pretty quick, but also disperses slower throughout the tank.

Dry food i tend to stick to flakes, with hikari pellets/wafers (every so often) for the Cichlids/Pleco. The betta's lives on micro pellets, its a fussy thing! crushed peas when i remember once in a while as well.

Associate
i go for hikari micro pellets, crushed peas, flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp and occasion froozen bloodworm. i defrost the bloodworms in a little bit of tank water and drop them in a couple at a time.

isnt really a schedule for it and the bulk if the diet of my endlers is made up of the micro pellets. may change when i introduce a betta and start target feeding the fish a bit more

Back
Top Bottom