• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll, nVidia CEO on Free Sync, is he believable or not?

Do you believe Jensen Huang

• I believe Jensen Huang

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • I do not believe Jensen Huang

Votes: 118 61.5%
  • Pancakes

Votes: 53 27.6%

• Total voters
Caporegime
During CES nVidia's CEO announced they would be supporting the Adaptive Sync Technology that does not require the proprietary G-Sync module, these screens are AMD's equivalent open standard technology called Free-Sync.

Jensen Huang claims they have tested over 400 Free-Sync screens for G-Sync without the G-Sync module for compatibility and only 12 of those pass their certification standards.
Huang went on to state that some of the screens he tested had serious flaws, like flicking and poor image quality, he even insisted these screens do not work on AMD's GPU's.

Now, some have speculated that what nVidia are infact doing is certifying Free-Sync screens as G-Sync compatible for a monetary fee paid for by vendors who wish to have said certification which in turn opens up a much wider market for them.
With all the noise Huang is making about Free Sync being flawed it suggests only the certified screen's actually work, Its very aggressive marketing based deliberately on hyperbolic falsehoods.

Free-Sync has been around for some years now, if it was unusable technology on AMD GPU's i think we would have heard about those problems by now, in fact most tech journalists who have commented on it have said they don't recognise Jensen Huang claims.
And surely a flickering screen is grounds for RMA, vendors are not selling flickering screens and claiming its normal. or are they? you can answer that.

IMO Jensen Huang has found another revenue stream and is trying to force screen vendors to pay him for certification by planting the idea in peoples heads that Adaptive Sync Technology only works with nVidia's certification and doesn't work at all on AMD's GPU's.

I'm interested to know how right Jensen Huang is about how much people actually believe him.
The poll question:

Do you believe Jensen Huang's claims about the Free-Sync?

Possible Answerers:

I believe Jensen Huang.
I do not believe Jensen Huang.
Pancakes

’FreeSync doesn’t work’
On Sunday, Nvidia announced it would begin supporting Vesa Adaptive Sync, aka AMD’s FreeSync for variable refresh rate gaming. While some have painted this as Nvidia finally caving, that doesn’t seem to be Huang’s view.

“We never competed,” Huang said of upcoming FreeSync support. “(FreeSync) was never proven to work. As you know, we invented the area of adaptive sync. The truth is most of the FreeSync monitors do not work. They do not even work with AMD’s graphics cards.”

Huang’s criticism can probably be easily dismissed as hyperbole as clearly the bulk of AMD Radeon and FreeSync users have had no issues.

However, he does have data from his own labs that say there are problems from Nvidia’s point of view. The company tested 400 FreeSync panels and found only 12 that would turn on G-Sync automatically. The others require a manual override.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/333...x-2080-will-crush-amds-underwhelming-gpu.html

Last edited:
Associate
i don't believe there testing bs (see below), but i do believe they will support it in there own way allowing them to charge manufacturers for testing potentially.

i will says his claims are rubbish about it not working, Ive tested quite a few and own a few and they all work to there specification. some seem to think there is a 2.4.1 ratio in play that they have enabled on purpose during testing which will cause lower range monitors to fail.

Caporegime
OP
i don't believe there testing bs (see below), but i do believe they will support it in there own way allowing them to charge manufacturers for testing potentially.

i will says his claims are rubbish about it not working, Ive tested quite a few and own a few and they all work to there specification. some seem to think there is a 2.4.1 ratio in play that they have enabled on purpose during testing which will cause lower range monitors to fail.

Interesting, thanks.

Soldato
Nvidia CEO who has a huge interest in there own G-Sync module monitors holding onto the believed superiority. No he can't be taken serious as he has an agenda and it's not to push monitors branded with Freesync/Adaptive Sync. Nvidia are only half supporting Adaptive Sync as they are being forced that way and not because they want to. They also needed to give out some good will to there customers after the shambles of the RTX launch/pricing and this ain't a bad way of doing it.

Associate
Most likely they are enforcing 2.4:1 ratio which is what is causing flickering. I personally believe NVIDIA will not allow any monitor which is uncertified to work unless it meets the 2.4:1 range requirements.

Caporegime
Its not FreeSync, Nvidia are not supporting FreeSync, its adaptive-sync they support, if they supported FreeSync, then every FreeSync monitor would work, but thats not the case, as only 12 out of about 400+ work with their cards.

This is going to cause loads of people with FreeSync monitors, to go out, and buy a Nvidia card, thinking it will work with their FreeSync monitor, when it may not, unless they have one of the 12 monitors, on Nvidias list of known to work, so they'll either have to send their Nvidia card back, use it on their monitor, without any adaptive-sync, or sell their monitor, and buy a one, that does work with their Nvidia card.

Permabanned
Isn't the whole point of this to make owners of FreeSync monitors feel like they're not stuck with buying AMD graphics cards, so some of them might switch team.
Whilst at the same time keeping owners of GSync monitors stuck with NVidia graphics cards.

Associate
NVIDIA also didn't claim they would support LFC on these monitor. There is lots of stuff people are taking for granted in that accouncement. NVIDIA is very shrewd.

Caporegime
To put it bluntly i agree.

Read the pc world article, one of his laughable criteria for a pass or fail was if the monitor automatically enabled gsync mode, if it didn't it was classed as a fail which quite obviously massively inflated his numbers. Apparently a toggle in the video options is too much of a brain buster for most pc users to handle, at least on planet leather jacket.

Caporegime
OP
Read the pc world article, one of his laughable criteria for a pass or fail was if the monitor automatically enabled gsync mode, if it didn't it was classed as a fail which quite obviously massively inflated his numbers. Apparently a toggle in the video options is too much of a brain buster for most pc users to handle, at least on planet leather jacket.

Right, its not like they don't already have vertical sync options in their incredibly dated driver control panel.

KhzHzbI.png

Soldato
Jens: "FreeSync doesn't work"
Acer, LG, Asus, et al: "I'm sorry, what now?"
Jens: "FreeSync doesn't work!"
Acer, LG, Asus, et al: "I think you find it does. Are you suggesting we sell defective products?"
Jens: "But FreeSync doesn't work!"
Acer, LG, Asus, et al: *litigation*

Caporegime
OP
Jens: "FreeSync doesn't work"
Acer, LG, Asus, et al: "I'm sorry, what now?"
Jens: "FreeSync doesn't work!"
Acer, LG, Asus, et al: "I think you find it does. Are you suggesting we sell defective products?"
Jens: "But FreeSync doesn't work!"
Acer, LG, Asus, et al: *litigation*

Consumers "AMD have adaptive sync without the need for proprietary hardware, If AMD can do it why can't you?"
Jens "Free-Sync doesn't work even on AMD GPU's"

Soldato
Its not FreeSync, Nvidia are not supporting FreeSync, its adaptive-sync they support, if they supported FreeSync, then every FreeSync monitor would work, but thats not the case, as only 12 out of about 400+ work with their cards.

This is going to cause loads of people with FreeSync monitors, to go out, and buy a Nvidia card, thinking it will work with their FreeSync monitor, when it may not, unless they have one of the 12 monitors, on Nvidias list of known to work, so they'll either have to send their Nvidia card back, use it on their monitor, without any adaptive-sync, or sell their monitor, and buy a one, that does work with their Nvidia card.

I think you are slightly confused :) Freesync monitors are adaptive sync monitors. Or if you want to go down the route of been super pedantic, then there are no Freesync monitors out there, there are only adaptive sync monitors that support Freesync. As long as Intel or Nvidia have the hardware on their GPU's that meet the Display port 1.2a specification they can connect to the same adaptive sync monitors, but they will have to write drivers to support it.

When the Nvidia driver comes out and it detects one of the approved adaptive sync monitors it will automatically turn on Gsync (or whatever they decide to call it) But any adaptive sync monitor will work with it, you can enable it manually in the control panel. It's just it might not work as well as the monitors on the approved list.

My guess is they are just testing monitors that can do the full range of the panel that's installed. So if it's a 100Hz monitor, that it works from 30 to 100hz, that if it's a 144hz monitor, it works from 30 to 144hz. ETC. ETC.

It's also why I think some of what he is saying it's true. I do believe that some monitor manufacturers have done the bare limits to support adaptive sync. Those monitors with a super short ranges for example. And I also think there is some fine tuning to be done to get it working properly with each monitor. I just wonder how many monitor manufacturers in their budget lines actually went to the trouble of this fine tuning? Probably very few. So I can well believe that there are monitors out there that don't work well with Freesync.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Lol Loadsa.

Caporegime
OP
I think you are slightly confused :) Freesync monitors are adaptive sync monitors. Or if you want to go down the route of been super pedantic, then there are no Freesync monitors out there, there are only adaptive sync monitors that support Freesync. As long as Intel or Nvidia have the hardware on their GPU's that meet the Display port 1.2a specification they can connect to the same adaptive sync monitors, but they will have to write drivers to support it.

When the Nvidia driver comes out and it detects one of the approved adaptive sync monitors it will automatically turn on Gsync (or whatever they decide to call it) But any adaptive sync monitor will work with it, you can enable it manually in the control panel. It's just it might not work as well as the monitors on the approved list.

My guess is they are just testing monitors that can do the full range of the panel that's installed. So if it's a 100Hz monitor, that it works from 30 to 100hz, that if it's a 144hz monitor, it works from 30 to 144hz. ETC. ETC.

It's also why I think some of what he is saying it's true. I do believe that some monitor manufacturers have done the bare limits to support adaptive sync. Those monitors with a super short ranges for example. And I also think there is some fine tuning to be done to get it working properly with each monitor. I just wonder how many monitor manufacturers in their budget lines actually went to the trouble of this fine tuning? Probably very few. So I can well believe that there are monitors out there that don't work well with Freesync.

None of that is in dispute, its when he claims
"some Free Sync screens flicker"
"The truth is most of the FreeSync monitors do not work."
"(FreeSync) was never proven to work"
"They do not even work with AMD’s graphics cards"

He's basically full of it.

Back
Top Bottom