**** The Official Huawei Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
I've had the Mate 20 pro for a few weeks now. Using ExDialer and Nova Launcher Pro.
After initial setup (eg. dialer, nova launcher swapping back&menu, disabling all the notification crap) it's a very decent phone, I am VERY pleasantly surprised overall, and the camera is amazing, few things bug me though coming from my OP3T:

- Can I get IP details back in wifi details ? I have to resort to fakeshell to get ip info about a network like gateway address or ip address now, why do they dumb the UI down?
- Is it possible to disable the phone manager nonsense, seriously fy with whining about power or storage usage of apps, this crap gets pushed to my smartwatch. I can't seem to disable all push notifications/alerts from phone manager. Of course Spotify is taking up 50+ gb, that's the point...
- Can I program screen gestures with screen off? (eg. in 3T, I programmed to draw a ''V'' to quickly turn on flashlight, or a circle for camera).
- Any shortcut possible to ''do not disturb''? I use this function a lot, and having to go in settings is tiresome, I miss my sliding button :(.
- Possible to change the ''start camera'' command? The only option is ''double volume down'' to start camera (camera settings), I want to double tap my power button to quickly start camera...
- Possible to disable the dual vinger gesture/hitouch notification? I want to quickly be able to select 2 pictures in gallery for example, now I first have to hold with 1 finger, before I can use 2 fingers to select more. It's annoying if you quickly want to share/select 2 photo's. I don't care about Hi touch.

Soldato
The screen issues have been blown out of proportion to be honest.

You have warranty either way, at £599 it's a steal and easily on of the best phones you can get all round at that price.

While the phone is good value at 599, the quality of screen was definitely a problem when I had mine. I went through 4 handsets with screen issues before I have up and the sRGB screen calibration was not on point.

Soldato
While the phone is good value at 599, the quality of screen was definitely a problem when I had mine. I went through 4 handsets with screen issues before I have up and the sRGB screen calibration was not on point.
And conversely I've had one handset with a BOE screen which has been perfect. Unfortunately there does seem to be an awful lot of luck involved with the early handsets but it's less of an issue now.
Huawei's software is a sticking point but that aside it's about as good as an android phone gets right now.

Soldato
And conversely I've had one handset with a BOE screen which has been perfect. Unfortunately there does seem to be an awful lot of luck involved with the early handsets but it's less of an issue now.
Huawei's software is a sticking point but that aside it's about as good as an android phone gets right now.

Software plays a massive part and it's also one of the reason I passed on this phone. Too many quirks. I'm glad Huawei made this phone though, it's shows they have real potential and are not far from making a phone I would keep.

I'm glad owners are happy with theirs.

Associate
The screen issues have been blown out of proportion to be honest.

You have warranty either way, at £599 it's a steal and easily on of the best phones you can get all round at that price.

I went through 3 20 pro's all had the green tint. I eventually gave up on it.

I wouldn't call that blown out of proportion.

Soldato
I went through 3 20 pro's all had the green tint. I eventually gave up on it.

I wouldn't call that blown out of proportion.

I would, the issues were predominantly with the initial batches at which case it was just unfortunate for those.

I had an initial batch M20 Pro and had no screen issues as such, likewise other people who I know who bought the phone.

Soldato
Yeah, no problems on mine. I've not gone looking for them though. If I don't see it in day to day use, I don't see why it's an issue. I'm sure some have said they only see it if they set the conditions to see it... which they normally would not be in. I think that's one reason why it's over blown.

Associate
Hi guys. Purchased earlier. Seems a great handset for what would have been my first Android coming from Apple. However, the colours of the screen compared to iPhone seem too much for me, pictures look completely different, way too much contrast & saturation regardless of settings, dimmer too. The only time a picture looks half natural is if you open one right up from gallery so it’s against the black background, why does the picture then go lighter and less saturated?!
Raise to wake barely ever works either. All else seemed fine but the above and the fact that glass protectors are a no go is offputting so far.
Any feedback or advice much appreciated!

Soldato
Hi guys. Purchased earlier. Seems a great handset for what would have been my first Android coming from Apple. However, the colours of the screen compared to iPhone seem too much for me, pictures look completely different, way too much contrast & saturation regardless of settings, dimmer too. The only time a picture looks half natural is if you open one right up from gallery so it’s against the black background, why does the picture then go lighter and less saturated?!
Raise to wake barely ever works either. All else seemed fine but the above and the fact that glass protectors are a no go is offputting so far.
Any feedback or advice much appreciated!
Pictures app and video app including YouTube on this phone when I had it, would all turn up the saturation even if you set the screen to natural mode. Did my head in.
Natural mode is quite accurate but not perfect but as said it changes on media apps.

Soldato
What's the OS like on the Mate 20 Pro? I'm between one of these and a OnePlus 6T Mclaren for the same cost - £43 pm, £0 upfront cost, for 8GB data on EE. I'm coming from a Oneplus 3T which is now dead, smashed screen yesterday :(

I know I'll miss the alert slider, but hows the stock android experience? Anyone else made the switch from the (IMO) awesome stock android on OP phones to the Mate 20 pro? I know overall it has a much better spec than the 6T, even the Mclaren edition - bigger battery, higher res screen, much better cameras, as fast or faster charging, and so on... but if the software is not up to the same standard that's a huge minus point. I'm going to try and pop into a shop today to have a play on one.

Cheers.

Associate
What's the OS like on the Mate 20 Pro? I'm between one of these and a OnePlus 6T Mclaren for the same cost - £43 pm, £0 upfront cost, for 8GB data on EE. I'm coming from a Oneplus 3T which is now dead, smashed screen yesterday :(

I know I'll miss the alert slider, but hows the stock android experience? Anyone else made the switch from the (IMO) awesome stock android on OP phones to the Mate 20 pro? I know overall it has a much better spec than the 6T, even the Mclaren edition - bigger battery, higher res screen, much better cameras, as fast or faster charging, and so on... but if the software is not up to the same standard that's a huge minus point. I'm going to try and pop into a shop today to have a play on one.

Cheers.

I've been deciding whether to keep my Pixel 3xl or Mate 20 Pro, in the end I ended up using the Pixel 3XL more as there were a few things that irritated me about the Mate 20 Pro, I used Action Launcher over the top which hid EMUI so this wasn't an issue mostly.

The main things that led to me switching back were:

• Camera - Pixel 3 XL has more accurate colours and 9/10 would take really good pictures. The Mate 20 Pro is capable of some amazing shots but when it came to small children or anything that moved they would be blurred or look softened (turned off beauty settings etc), also the colours were really off in some pictures. Macro mode was very good and I actually found night mode to be more accurate then the Pixel. The pixel makes it look like daytime where as the Mate 20 Pro reproduces the scene better
  • Software updates - I have heard that Huawei aren't great at software updates, mine was an unlocked device on version .153. There was a thread on XDA forums where people from Asian regions were getting a lot software updates that fix functionality where as in the EMEA region there was a big lag. This probably has something to do with the current issues the West has about Huawei. There was also something on the news yesterday where the CEO said if they don't want us we will leave the UK and US, given this I don't think they will be putting all their efforts into supporting the region.
  • Finger print auth was wildly inconsistent for my banking, finance and password vault apps. I cleaned, reset this many times, the technology is still to immature. In contrast the boring old fingerprint reader on the Pixel 3Xl works everytime.
  • Preferred notifications etc on the Pixel 3 and also the fact all the apps were defaults and not vendor version they were trying to force on you like their wind down app, calender etc. You can change or disable or few of these but I found they were re-enabling following firmware or software updates.
This is a great phone but there were just to many little things for me that led to me not being happy with the experience. I think this is due to the fact I have had 3 Pixels in a row, the Pixel 3XL is a lazy hardware update from Google but really does show the difference good software makes. My mate 20 Pro just sold on ebay.

Soldato
Thanks - looks like the only thing holding me back on the Mate 20 pro then, is the software. Having used OxygenOS for the past 2 years I know I'll get annoying at anything which is too far from stock android. It'll be a phone on EE so shouldn't (touch wood!) have the screen issues others have seen.

I prefer the smaller notch on the 6T, updates are pretty decent too, the 3T is getting 9.0 pie which is great for a 2+ year old phone.

There's definite hardware positives over the 6T on the mate 20 pro though...

Associate
Thanks - looks like the only thing holding me back on the Mate 20 pro then, is the software. Having used OxygenOS for the past 2 years I know I'll get annoying at anything which is too far from stock android. It'll be a phone on EE so shouldn't (touch wood!) have the screen issues others have seen.

I prefer the smaller notch on the 6T, updates are pretty decent too, the 3T is getting 9.0 pie which is great for a 2+ year old phone.

There's definite hardware positives over the 6T on the mate 20 pro though...

This is what led me back to the Pixel again, there will be lots more amazing phones coming out over the next few months including the P30 Pro, you may as well hold out at this point as that may fix some of the Mate 20 Pro challenges.

Soldato
This is what led me back to the Pixel again, there will be lots more amazing phones coming out over the next few months including the P30 Pro, you may as well hold out at this point as that may fix some of the Mate 20 Pro challenges.
That's not an option at the moment I'm afraid, my 3T is dead dead, the screen is cracked and it's displaying barely anything so need a replacement ASAP. Insurance is a £100 excess which isn't really worth it on a phone worth £170 without the broken screen, I may as well put the £100 towards a new phone, I may get £50 for it selling it on if someone fancies replacing the screen.

From the odd leak about the OP7 having a pop up camera that's not something I'd want so will be giving that a miss. At the moment it's between a 8GB/128GB 6T at £60 upfront then £28 a month, or the Mclaren 256GB 6T or Mate 20 Pro, both at £0 upfront and £43 a month.

Soldato
This is a great phone but there were just to many little things for me that led to me not being happy with the experience. I think this is due to the fact I have had 3 Pixels in a row, the Pixel 3XL is a lazy hardware update from Google but really does show the difference good software makes.

This is what I'm coming round too. The hardware is fantastic, but there's too many little niggles in the software. I might be on the look out for a well priced Pixel 3 XL.

Back
Top Bottom