Giant TCR Advanced Pro cable routing

Soldato
Hopefully a quick question to answer, does anyone know if cable ferrules are required when running cables in a Giant TCR Advanced Pro?

From what I can tell the holders in the frame act as the ferrules, as the brake cable without the ferrule fits snugly in the holder, however the gear cable outer, which has a pre installed ferrule, won't fit into the holder in the headtube - I don't have any cable cutters yet to test this theory but would be good to know if I'm going to need further parts!

Poorly lit pictures of what I'm trying to explain here - http://imgur.com/a/jvgpa2f

Also, I plan to run the cables naked without any internal sheaths - good or bad idea?

Soldato
OP
So this wasn't a troll thread, but it turns out those "pre installed ferrules" just pull off the gear cables - can confirm without the ferrule they fit snuggle in the holder in the headtube :rolleyes:

Soldato
They look the same as my Defy, I didn't use ferrules either as the fit was tight into the holder.

I did install inners on the gear cables which was more for keeping internal cable rattle noise to a minimum.

Soldato
As said they go in with no ferrules.

I have saw the inner strands of the outer casing pull through the plastic cable stop though. I drilled my mates out a bit so he can put a plastic ferrule in there.

Soldato
Keep an eye on their wear. I have a friend with an Orbea and the plastic thing broke/wore though and he couldn't get a replacement. After a couple of months of gluing it back on various ways I ran a cable through the frame for him.

Back
Top Bottom