• 5.1 Channel (Digital via S/PDIF)

• Dynamic Range (DNR) / Signal-to-Noise (SNR):
  • 123dB (Stereo Playback)
  • 121dB (Line-In Recording)

• Playback Format:
  • Up to 384kHz, 32bit (Stereo)
  • Up to 192kHz, 24bit (Optical)

• Headphone Amp:
  • 16-600ohm (Independent Analog Control)

• Maximum Voltage:
  • 8Vrms

• Maximum Current:
  • 250mA

• Recording Format:
  • Up to 384kHz, 32bit (Line-In)
  • Up to 192kHz, 24bit (Mic-In)

• RGB Lighting:
  • 10 - Mode w/ Audio Reactive Lighting

• I/O:
  • Stereo Out (RCA L/R)
  • Headphone Out (6.3mm)
  • Line-In (3.5mm)
  • Mic-In (3.5mm)
  • Optical Out (TOSLINK Passthrough)
  • Front Panel Header

• Premium Components:
  • DAC - AKM AK4493
  • ADC - AKM AK5572
  • OP-AMP (Headphone) - ADI OP275
  • OP-AMP (Line Out) - ADI AD8056
  • Capacitors - WIMA, Audio Note(UK), Nichicon
  • Power Regulators - Texas Instruments TPS7A47/TPS7A33 ultralow-noise power solution

• Switchable OP-AMPs:
  • Headphone, Line out

• Interface:
  • PCIe x1 Gen2

• Power Connector:
  • 1x SATA Power

• Supported OS:
  • Windows 10, 8.1, 7

Available January 16, 2019
https://www.evga.com/articles/01281/evga-nu-audio/

Hmm.....

Man of Honour
No price, for people who are really into the audio stuff is Audio Note someone you'd be excited to see their parts on this?

Never even heard of Audio Note myself - I use WIMA and Nichicon extensively though and rate them highly. The regulators are pretty decent and will make a big difference IMO compared to soundcards that barely filter the PC's 12/5V inputs.

EDIT: Though a bit cramped the PCB does look like it is reasonably well laid out for the most part with some attempt to avoid parasitics and interference - they seem to have used Panasonic FC caps quite a bit which are good but I'd have liked to see Nichicon KZ in those positions (subjectively I find they do a little better).

Nice to see the opamps on the final stage appear to be socketed so can be swapped out though the selection is good I'd probably change the 275 for the OPA1692 personally - I suspect the 275 was chosen due to its performance and DIP8 format as some of the other options aren't available in DIP8 so not easily socket mounted.

Overall I quite like it - it is a bit bling for the sake of bling component wise but I've generally been happier with those setups over what engineering wise is "adequate" to do the job.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Looks stunning and with my luck probably does beat the AE5 since I only bought it recently !

Wonder if the headphone amp and sound quality is better then the AE5, looking forward to reviews.

Soldato
Swappable OPAmps is good, change these up to your preference if they leave it easy enough to do like the STX (which is still great).

The chip itself (AK4493) is the upgraded/replacement to the AK4490 that is found in many discrete DACs, including some by Schiit. Read into that what you will, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be better (nor worse) than Schiit, there's other aspects to consider after all.

Overall, glad to see more high quality soundcards are still being considered, even if they still market with all the buzzwords.

Last edited:
Associate
ill be getting this 100% to replace my old ZXR, ive changed my ZXR 3 times and not been happy with the result to alway turned back to the ZXR, hopefully I can buy this for the £190 asking price for elite EVGA members, otherwise it will cost around £230-£240

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Just ordered mine from the EVGA EU webstore for 211.34 Euros including delivery :)

Please let us know if it is any good, am sure the full on reviews will compare to Creatives AE5 shortly too, am intrigued what EVGA can do.

Man of Honour
Looks stunning and with my luck probably does beat the AE5 since I only bought it recently !

Wonder if the headphone amp and sound quality is better then the AE5, looking forward to reviews.

One thing from a look at the component selection I suspect for music listening the EVGA could have the edge - the AE5 is very "high res" but impersonal sounding - Creative obviously engineered it for clean, clear gaming audio.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
One thing from a look at the component selection I suspect for music listening the EVGA could have the edge - the AE5 is very "high res" but impersonal sounding - Creative obviously engineered it for clean, clear gaming audio.

Cheers, going to keep an eye on reviews :)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Bit more info popping out from CES and Ytube reviewers

This ones from an Engineer

plays DSD files, EVGA claim its beating all competitors in terms of 'Stereo' sound quality and that EVGA has made it designed to be the best stereo experience be it in game or music.

The vid from the engineer presenting it, sounds like he was involved in its creation perhaps, did not understand 99% of it but sounds like its been designed by engineers that want the best of the best.

Just be aware creative are also back with a new sound card that looks similar to this one if not better, I will post the link soon.

Soldato
The specs and features of the upcoming Creative AE-9 takes things to another level. If you’re on the lookout for a new sound card and the AE-5 doesn’t cut it for you maybe the AE-9 will make more sense. Without a proper review and comparison it’s hard to know for sure but this EVGA offering seems too similar to the AE-5 to justify the difference in price.

https://www.techpowerup.com/250526/...diophile-grade-sound-card-sound-blasterx-ae-9

Soldato
Please let us know if it is any good, am sure the full on reviews will compare to Creatives AE5 shortly too, am intrigued what EVGA can do.

Been using the card for 3 days now and it's brilliant, tried it with my Focal Clear's, Audeze LCD2C's & Hifiman HE-400's and it's easily on par with my Schiit Lyr3 w/multibit & Schiit Bifrost Gen5.

Even using my old AE Aego speakers it sounds way better than the AE-5 it replaced, can't say anything about the digital side as all i bought the card for was the 2 x channel analogue & headphone out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom