• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

• Total voters
Permabanned
No

You posted screenshots of the Radeon VII and RTX Titan FP64 performance to defend the fact that the former card needed the very high memory bandwidth.

All I did was post a screenshot of the Titan V FP64 performance which is even higher despite using less memory bandwidth.

Man up you got one wrong.

Sorry for the confusion, then. I just posted the comparison in order to show you the tremendous difference in compute power.
Nothing to do with the memory bandwidth at all.

I would take anything on AdoredTV with a very big pinch of salt.

After listening to his predictions for Turing with a big bit of help from a source I think he made a bit of a fool of himself.

Yes, 100%. AdoredTV is not serious.

Soldato
I would take anything on AdoredTV with a very big pinch of salt.

After listening to his predictions for Turing with a big bit of help from a source I think he made a bit of a fool of himself.

I take every leak with a big pinch of salt :p but then so far his source for Ryzen 3000 is looking like it's coming good.

You're only as good as your source.

Soldato
60CUs, so less than Vega64, when we know the chip has 64CU shows it is salvage part, plus being able to sell it at all for $700 when it likely cost near enough $700 to make.

It would be interesting if Nvidia knocks $100 off the 2080 (and $150-200 off the 2080ti). Would AMD be able to justify a price match.

If rumours are correct, Nvidia prefers to release a 1180 $100 cheaper than the 2080, than lower the price of the 2080.
While slacking the product publicly (a new low for Nvidia), not because of the gaming performance, but because it faster in the business environment (Content creation, AI, Machine Learning etc) than the 10 times more expensive Nvidia product.

On the AI & Machine learning enthusiast forums, RVII is the best bargain since Vega 64/FE came out. To those who believe it will not sell, you are dreaming.
Many foresee £1000 pricetag on it before the end of February, if AMD doesn't sell directly at MSRP.

Associate
The only thing I've ever heard about a "Big" Navi was in the Navi AdoredTV video when Jim said his source had "seen a Big Navi running and it was impressive". And there's been nothing else. And why would a Big Navi wait until mid 2020 when that's when Arcturus is expected?

It's possible the Radeon 7 is the start of a new pattern: AMD's current gen is built to the max to cover the top tier with the new architecture starting small to cover the midrange. So Radeon 7 covers off the 2080 now, Navi 10 covers 2070 and down. Then Navi 20 replaces the Radeon 7 at the top around this time next year with new Arcturus chips replacing Navi 10 later on. A year later there's a big Arcturus and Arcturus+ comes in.

Who knows.

We'll see how things pan out come Computex. If there's not talk of Navi in June then I'd be a bit worried about what's going on.

"We believe, we will be very competitive overall and that includes the high-end of the GPU market. Obviously there are new products out there from our competition. We will have our set of new products as well and we will be right there in the mix," AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su said at the 22nd Annual Credit Suisse Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference.

Dr. Su essentially doubled down on comments she made to Barron's in October. She noted at the time that AMD plans to be "competitive in high-end graphics," and that the company is "building a solid long-term foundation." The focus on 7nm manufacturing is part of that foundation for AMD's longer-term goals.

What AMD CEO Lisa Su said late last year indicates that they intend to take a step further with Navi and go against Nvidia's top of the range. It's certainly not an impossible task with the advantage of 7nm.

They seem to have the pieces of the puzzle to make GCN competitive against Turing in rasterisation performance, and possibly even push some limited raytracing. Radeon VII demonstrates that Vega still had a notable amount of leftover performance when bottlenecks like the low pixel fill rate (ROPs) and memory bandwidth were reduced.

From anandtech's Vega 10 review in 2017: "Talking to AMD’s engineers about the matter, they haven’t taken any steps with Vega to change this. They have made it clear that 4 compute engines is not a fundamental limitation – they know how to build a design with more engines – however to do so would require additional work."

So AMD already knew years ago how to remove the 64CU/4096 core limit with GCN, but they didn't implement it for Vega, most likely due to the complexity involved and the Vega 10 die size already being large. With Navi on 7nm, they have room to increase core count and make other architectural adjustments which require die space, especially with the removal of FP64 and INT4/8 which they've included with Vega 20. Along with this, make improvements on delta colour compression (an area where AMD's tech is far behind Nvidia's) and increase perf per core slightly as per usual, and AMD could have an extremely competitive high end GPU.

Caporegime
If rumours are correct, Nvidia prefers to release a 1180 $100 cheaper than the 2080, than lower the price of the 2080.
While slacking the product publicly (a new low for Nvidia), not because of the gaming performance, but because it faster in the business environment (Content creation, AI, Machine Learning etc) than the 10 times more expensive Nvidia product.

On the AI & Machine learning enthusiast forums, RVII is the best bargain since Vega 64/FE came out. To those who believe it will not sell, you are dreaming.
Many foresee £1000 pricetag on it before the end of February, if AMD doesn't sell directly at MSRP.

These rumours are complete nonsense.

There will never, ever be a new GPU form Nvidia without RTX that is faster than an old 1060.

Man of Honour
These rumours are complete nonsense.

There will never, ever be a new GPU form Nvidia without RTX that is faster than an old 1060.

NVidia have invested so much money and resources in RTX that they are not going to start competing against themselves by producing fast non RTX cards.

This could also explain the comments made by the NVidia CEO about the Radeon VII which is a serious threat to the 2080 and lower if people are prepared to do without RTX.

Having seen RTX running it looks fantastic on RTX Titan SLI in Port Royal but not a game changer in BFV.

Associate
The only thing I've ever heard about a "Big" Navi was in the Navi AdoredTV video when Jim said his source had "seen a Big Navi running and it was impressive". And there's been nothing else. And why would a Big Navi wait until mid 2020 when that's when Arcturus is expected?
he never said that

Soldato
NVidia have invested so much money and resources in RTX that they are not going to start competing against themselves by producing fast non RTX cards.

This could also explain the comments made by the NVidia CEO about the Radeon VII which is a serious threat to the 2080 and lower if people are prepared to do without RTX.

Having seen RTX running it looks fantastic on RTX Titan SLI in Port Royal but not a game changer in BFV.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thought Port Royal 3 isn't that demanding. Tropico 6 on the other hand, I would agree :D

Soldato
@Killer7xx what Lisa said is compelling and I believe every word of it. However I don't think ultimately she was talking about Navi, I think she was talking about post-Navi, i.e. what we've now come to know as Arcturus. And yes, the GCN limitations can be surpassed, but as you quote AMD didn't do it with Vega, didn't do it with Vega 20 when it was shrunk and therefore isn't on the Radeon 7, and if Arcturus really is coming next year then I don't see them bothering with Navi as it's the last iteration of GCN.

But who knows? I'm not sure anybody really wants to wait until 2020 to see if AMD can get their GPU act together, but I truly believe that's where the fight is. It's going to take a while to get their GPU house back in order, and that will only take time and money, the latter of which they've not really had until recently.

If it was 3 years for Zen to turn around CPUs, then 3 years from Vega would be Q3 2020, exactly when Arcturus is suspected to be a thing.

Associate
No

HBM2 adds to the cost and throttles 1080p/1440p performance. Yes HBM2 would be good at 2160p but the card does not have the raw performance to compete against a 2080 Ti.

8gb or 12gb of GDDR6 would have been better for a gaming card.
Not aimed at 2080ti, and is half the price, plus a fair few quid in bundled games as well. (With overvlock who knows).

Man of Honour
Not aimed at 2080ti, and is half the price, plus a fair few quid in bundled games as well. (With overvlock who knows).

That is exactly the Radeon VII problem it can not compete with the 2080 Ti even in non RTX games.

It can get close to a 2080 in performance but then DLSS and RTX come into the picture and it is game over.

Having said that for anyone with a Freesync monitor the Radeon VII is the obvious upgrade option as constant fps is more important than RTX bling.

Soldato
Not when I'm running a water cooled, overclocked Vega 64 scoring over 27k gfx score.

I understand why the price was so high with the 16gb HBM, sadly if they could have launched it at under 500 they'd have shifted way more cards I expect. That's still a damn fine card for 1440p and 144hz monitors.

Soldato
That is exactly the Radeon VII problem it can not compete with the 2080 Ti even in non RTX games.

It can get close to a 2080 in performance but then DLSS and RTX come into the picture and it is game over.

Having said that for anyone with a Freesync monitor the Radeon VII is the obvious upgrade option as constant fps is more important than RTX bling.

Lets define DLSS....... Upscaling lower resolution rendering......
Sure RTX2080 rendering 3200x1800 and upscaling it to 4K, would be faster than RVII rendering native 4K .....
But what about image quality? :)

Man of Honour
Lets define DLSS....... Upscaling lower resolution rendering......
Sure RTX2080 rendering 3200x1800 and upscaling it to 4K, would be faster than RVII rendering native 4K .....
But what about image quality? :)

DLSS actually works very well with better image quality than not using it.

Having said that it is not perfect and does have flaws.

Back
Top Bottom