Anyone else not find things funny?

Soldato
Can't stand Big Bang Theory. Guardians of the Galaxy was entertaining and parts of it made me laugh, certainly.

I do have something similar to you though in that I do not get the humour in some things at all. Like, it's not that it's not funny enough to make me laugh, it's that it doesn't even fit the category. Embarrassment humour is the largest category of humour that doesn't work for me at all. I don't laugh at all at things like Bridget Jones which is all about being embarrassed. I will laugh a lot at a good comedian who is clever. (Jimmy Carr cracks me up sometimes and his "more unnecessary joke ever" as YouTube described it, had me creasing up. The other category that I wholesale do not get is the Identity Politics humour. Family Guy is the first thing that comes to mind - it's 80% jokes based on US social stereotypes. Oh, it's funny because he's Black or she's a woman or whatever. Just entirely doesn't work for me in the same way that a dog isn't a fish.

Soldato
People who find Lee Evans or Mrs Browns Boys funny tend to be those at the lower end of the IQ scale.

I dont find much stuff laugh out loud funny. Stuart Lee has a couple of decent routines which are funny because they are clever.

Very very rarely something very juvenile and not expected will have me in stitches. The one I tend to remember was the film Dumb and Dumber where Jeff Bridges character has the snowball fight with the girl and turns it serious, and starts lamping snowballs at her full pelt. I think its the look on his face that did it for me. It wasnt funny the second time I saw it.

Soldato
People who find Lee Evans or Mrs Browns Boys funny tend to be those at the lower end of the IQ scale.

So basically you are saying I am an idiot as I find Lee Evans funny (although Mrs Browns Boys is a load of tosh)!

It has nothing to do with IQ and to be fair only someone with a low IQ would think it would ;)

Funniest thing on TV at the moment in my opinion is The Last Leg.

Soldato
So basically you are saying I am an idiot as I find Lee Evans funny (although Mrs Browns Boys is a load of tosh)!

It has nothing to do with IQ and to be fair only someone with a low IQ would think it would ;)

Funniest thing on TV at the moment in my opinion is The Last Leg.

I think youll find there is a link between IQ and humour.

Also peer pressure. At school, I remember some fellow pupils would talk about these 'funny' shows. It was as if they were doing it to be part of the 'club'. Ive never got this. Its similar in a way to lad humour, like sexist or sexual jokes. For example how often tea bagging comes up when away on a camping trip. I just dont find it funny.

Caporegime
In the office I'm convinced people have a ''corporate' laugh as well. Don't get me wrong i laugh out loud at the classics like OFAH, The Office, Fawlty Towers, Tommy Cooper but I just think comedy now is awful and the **** people laugh at is just dumb humour.

Well the office stands out a bit there compared to the others. I can understand not being too fussed about Big Bang Theory or Guardians of the Galaxy, out of interest though - what do you think of this: (Probs only need to watch say the first monologue and first couple of scenes to see if you're into it)

One of the funniest shows I saw of late was "The Marvelous Mrs Maisel" - Check it out. Very clever comedy in that. Had me in fits at times.

Yeah that show is excellent.

Associate
I do not find The Big Bang Theory or Michael McIntyre funny at all.

Now give me some Farther Ted, Tommy Cooper or a Terry Thomas film and I will be crying with laughter.

Soldato
I can't say I really "laughed" at Guardians, sure it's a great film and got a snort or a half chuckle from me but humour isn't really it's strength.

As for BBT, i've laughed at it but certainly some episodes and jokes are much stronger than others. It's nowhere near as good nowadays with all the cast married off, part of it's fun was the tight group of five, now it's more like an eight.

To summarise, different strokes and all that.

Soldato
I haven't watched TV for many years. I never really found stuff like faulty towers funny, the young ones could be pretty laughable. Eddie Murphy was pretty funny. John Candy and Steve Martin maybe the funniest. Can't really think of anything else.

Soldato
Tbh I find almost all American sitcoms complete trash, most are completely cliched and never raise a smile.

Sometimes I really need to be in the mood to laugh, too often I can watch something and not even smile yet at a different time I can watch the same thing and be creased up.

Back
Top Bottom