Oculus Rift with a ASUS FX504GM EN150T Glitching

Associate
Hi,

Thank you for reading my message. A friend of mine recommended I post an issue I’m experiencing with the Oculus Rift with my ASUS laptop on this forum.

THE STORY:

I've purchased an Oculus Rift 09/01/2019 from Argos to run on my 7 week old ASUS FX504 EN150T laptop bought from AO. The laptop is sold as “VR Ready”.

https://ao.com/product/fx504gmen150t-asus-laptop-black-59693-251.aspx
Dedicated GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB graphics - VR ready
8th gen Intel® Core™ i7-8750H hexa core processor
8GB of DDR4 RAM delivers seamless multitasking
1TB hard drive with a 256GB SSD

Laptop on Overclockers website:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...7-8750h-8gb-ddr4-gaming-laptop-lt-25n-as.html

On the laptop I have 3 USB ports on this laptop, 2x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0.

I have plugged the 2 sensors into the USB 3.0 and the headset into the USB 2.0 and HDMI

I have also tired using a USB 3.0 docking station where I have connected all sensors and the headset to USB 3.0, but as I’m experiencing identical issues further testing will be using the laptop USB ports only.

THE PROBLEM:

The sensor setup (guardian) works perfectly fine setting up the gaming boundary. The problems starts when I first enter the game menu. Initially I can see the touch controllers (my hands) and can move my head around without lagging, but within 30 seconds the picture starts to jerk and jump. I sometimes hear the windows sound for a device being plugged in. I sometimes receive a warning regarding the sensors. I’ve also seen 1 time a USB malfunction in windows.

If I exit the Oculus app or go through the sensor setup again all is fine, but I often have to restart the laptop, as the sound sometimes disappears on the Oculs headset. I've also had it where the sensors are no longer detectable and a restart of the laptop is needed. I've also had the laptop crash on me once (blue screen), which is something I've never seen since I bought the laptop on 23rd November 2018.

I would like to know what I need to do in order to get the Oculus working and stable. I've tried getting into a game quickly ”Robo Recall” and that also starts jumping and the game eventually crashes with me losing the sound every time (requiring a laptop restart). Menu or game the jerking / jumping is awful with the Oculus is unusable.

I would have to say the laptop has been stable since I purchased it and I've not had any issues with it until trying to use the Oculus, but I cannot rule out the issue with the laptop itself.

Installed on the laptop I have Microsoft Office 2010, Fusion 360 (CAD Software) and McAfee Total Protection (which I have switched off during testing).

Please can I ask that you supply me with a list of things I can do to diagnose the problems or adjust on the laptop, so I can have the Oculus running without fault?
I
have also sent the above to ASUS Support & Oculus Support and await a response.

Kindest regards,

James

Associate
OP
Thank you for your suggestion. When checking and setting up devices the Oculus app had no issues with me running the headset on a USB 2.0 and came up with a green light showing a USB 2.0 connection. However, I will try your suggestion and report back later on this afternoon.

Associate
OP
@RevBillyG - Unfortunately this made no difference.

I've also updated the chipset, Hotfix and the VGA driver for Nvidia version 25.21.14.1735 11/12/2018

Still exactly the same with no improvement.

Associate
Laptop on Overclockers website:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...7-8750h-8gb-ddr4-gaming-laptop-lt-25n-as.html

On the laptop I have 3 USB ports on this laptop, 2x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0.

There's no mention of it being "VR Ready" in the OCUK specification, and VR ready is not a guarantee that it will work with the Rift.

The 1060 is definitely being used and not defaulting to integrated with the Rift? This would be my starting point. A lot of laptop external HDMI sockets default to integrated. Check if it's running Optimus (power saving thing) as that it manages GPU/integrated and can screw things up, particularly with VR.

Was the laptop mains powered when trying above? The USB ports and controllers need juice.

From what I've tried, laptop's (even decent spec ones) and Rift don't tend to mix well I'm afraid.

Associate
OP
Thank you so much for your reply @HummuH1 - I really appreciate the time you've taken to try to assist me with this issue. I'm willing to try anything.

I've installed the NVIDIA control panel and as the reddit post you sent above, the FX504GM EN150T im using has the HDMI shown in the same section as the 1060 graphics card, which is good news.

What I've done since my last message:

1) Installed the latest Oculus drivers.
2) Disabled all USB power saving.
3) Ran a repair Oculus Home
4) Set the preferred graphics processor in the Manage 3D settings of the NVIDIA control panel to "High performance NVIDIA processor"

Unfortunately I'm still experiencing the same issue. All sensors come up green and everything seems to work, I put on the headset go into the main menu, all looks good (I can move around) and then I enter the living room automatically, I see the fire burning and everything looks great. All is good for around 30 seconds, looks amazing and then I start to hear windows device disconnect, jumping and glitching then starts. I look at my sensors in Devices and they appear to have poor connection. I'll then lose the sound and then it continues to glitch.

I've gone into the BIOS, but unfortunately there's nothing in there regarding disabling of Optimus.

On the "VR Ready" bit, the manufacturers websites and all other sales outlets (excluding Overclocker) state the item is "VR Ready".

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX504/

"new gaming technologies, and breakthrough VR immersion wherever you game"

I could have easily purchased a desktop, but since ASUS have been working with Oculus since 2015 I would assume when they state VR, they mean at least the 2 main players in HTC & Oculus. As a customer I had no reason to question this especially with the laptop being in the recommended specification and stating VR ready. Even if you type "VR Ready" into Google by definition it mentions the Oculs LOL

I really hope I can get the Oculus working and any further help you can offer or guidance would be gratefully received.

I've had a reply from Oculus to send error logs, but nothing back so far from ASUS.

Kindest regards,

James

Associate
@TechTastic no problem.

Have you disabled Optimus? It sounds like the 1060 is being used which is a good start.

From what you say above, my best guess would be that it's some sort of power issue but it's purely a guess. Does the slowdown coincide with fans kicking in on the 1060? Just wondering if with the 3 USB ports and the GPU asking for full grunt is causing an issue. Could explain the crashes. As above, I assume the Laptop is mains powered during your tests and lying somewhere that's not going to cause heat issues?

I had a very similar issue on my desktop, not the same, but regularly "lost" one of the USB connections. The solution was to play around with which USB ports were used. Advantage of having a desktop is many USB ports and a beefy PSU, you are using all USB ports already. Anyway, after a but of playing around and many internet searches, understood that the Rift can be sensitive to USB power.

Associate
OP
@HummuH1 Thnak you again for your reply.

Q: Have you disabled Optimus?
A: I cannot find Optimus or anything to turn off in the BIOS for the GPU or motherboard GPU. So no - I will hopefully get a chance to talk with ASUS tomorrow, as they haven't responded to the support message so far.

Q: Does the slowdown coincide with fans kicking in on the 1060?
A: I'm not sure about the fans as the units pretty loud once the Oculus app starts anyway, but the Oculus and sensors are all green 100%, I put on the headset and enter the menu with the grey squares all around - all good. Once the menu changes and I enter a living room with a fire, 30 seconds later is when everything starts to jerk / jump / glitch and then the Oculus becomes unusable...often the sound goes quiet and sometimes even screeches...I then need to restart the laptop.

Q: I assume the Laptop is mains powered during your tests and lying somewhere that's not going to cause heat issues?
A: It's in a large 17 feet room, with my desk in the corner...loads of room. Yes, the power has always been plugged in.

Q:The solution was to play around with which USB ports were used.
A: I've used every possible combination of port. I've also used my USB 3.0 docking station and tried various combinations...all with identical results.

Thank you for your advice, but it would appear I'm going to have to tackle ASUS support and if it cannot be resolved look to try and have my laptop refunded or replaced due to the "VR Ready" not being so.

Kindest regards,

James

Soldato
The headset needs to be connected to USB 3.0. You can get away with USB 2.0 for the sensors but not the headset.

Actually this isn't true, Oculus recommends you connect it to a USB 3 port because of the power requirement not a bandwidth one. Cheap USB 2 ports don't supply enough power but if you have a good USB 2 port, the headset will work fine.

Soldato
description of problem

Hi James, it sounds like a bandwidth issue. Can you check you device manager and see how many USB host controllers you have. On some laptops all the USB ports are on the one host controller and these don't work well with the Rift.

simple check. Just use one sensor and see are you getting the same issues.

Associate
OP
@melmac - Thank you for you input.

In device manager I have the following listed under "Universal Serial Bus controllers":

Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Detection Driver (USB)
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)

Kindest regards,

James

Soldato
@melmac - Thank you for you input.

In device manager I have the following listed under "Universal Serial Bus controllers":

Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Detection Driver (USB)
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)

Kindest regards,

James

did you try the rift with one sensor?

EDIT: sorry, should have replied to your post as well :) It looks like there is only one controller. How many 3.1 ports are on the laptop?

EDIT 2: When you say you tried a USB 3 docking station, is it a one you need a power adapter for? Or does it draw it's power from the USB port?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey @melmac

Q: did you try the rift with one sensor?
A: Didn't think that was possible. I'll certainly give that a go now though.

Q: How many 3.1 ports are on the laptop?
A There are 3 USB ports in total - 2 x USB 3.0 and 1 x USB 2.0

Q: When you say you tried a USB 3 docking station, is it a one you need a power adapter for? Or does it draw it's power from the USB port?
A: It's a "Plugable" docking station with its own 5V power. I connect the laptop to the docking station via one of the USB 3.0 ports when I've tried it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-UD-3900-Universal-Docking-Ethernet-Black/dp/B00GQ3685Q

Kindest regards,

James

Soldato
Hey @melmac

Q: did you try the rift with one sensor?
A: Didn't think that was possible. I'll certainly give that a go now though.

Q: How many 3.1 ports are on the laptop?
A There are 3 USB ports in total - 2 x USB 3.0 and 1 x USB 2.0

Q: When you say you tried a USB 3 docking station, is it a one you need a power adapter for? Or does it draw it's power from the USB port?
A: It's a "Plugable" docking station with its own 5V power. I connect the laptop to the docking station via one of the USB 3.0 ports when I've tried it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-UD-3900-Universal-Docking-Ethernet-Black/dp/B00GQ3685Q

Kindest regards,

James

Thanks for the answers. Yeah, it can work with one, you won't get tracking behind you and one sensor setups are mainly used for racing and flight sims, but, it does work.

I actually looked up the specs of your laptop after writing the post. Was just been lazy :p

Not sure that docking stating will work. The Rift is kinda fussy about working with external hubs. When you tried the hub(plugged into the USB 3 port) did you try one sensor and the headset in the Hub and One sensor in the other USB 3 port?

Associate
OP
Just went through the entire setup again...got to the menu after putting on the headset "Welcome to Oculus"...then all sensors disconnected including headset. Proves the unit is good enough to run the graphics and hardware, just something is happening to the USBs, power, HDMI...I'm not sure, but it's not good.

Soldato
I've just tried connecting 1 sensor...Oculus app knows the 2nd sensor is missing and won't let me continue.

ah, yes, it has changed. You can try this, but you might have to rerun the sensor setup afterwards if you want to return to two sensors.

go into devices on the Rift's menu and look for the sensor that's unplugged, there should be an option to forget device. Hit on that and then try running something and see what happens.

Soldato
I've not tried using the docking station anymore, as I would like to concentrate on the laptop, where I believe the problem sits.

You don't have to run the setup each time you try a different USB port. If you are just testing USB configurations, all you need to do is run the setup once and then you can change the sensors and headset between different ports without affecting anything. The only time you need to run the setup is if you move the sensors to new positions or if you add a sensor.

I am fully sure it's a bandwidth issue on the USB controller. I know it sounds like a strange thing to try, but, you will achieve maximum bandwidth with the configuration I suggested, Plug Docking station into a USB 3 port, One sensor and one headset into the docking station and the other sensor into the free USB 3 port.

Back
Top Bottom