• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Navi Rumours... should i really take these seriously?

Soldato
AMD desperately needs to make a 400 sq.mm 7nm GPU that is within 5% or similar of the RTX 2080 Ti.
And to call this very GPU a new mainstream.

In which case I suggest you give Lisa Su a ring and tell her you've solved all of their GPU problems. Of course though, an equivalent card to the 2080 Ti would probably retail about that $700 figure yet you say it should be pushed as "mainstream", so you're now advocating that AMD charge even more than Nvidia, hoisting the mid-range market tier into an even higher price bracket and alienating gamers?

Great logic.

Caporegime
It does make you wonder, if the 7nm node is really going to be this good for GPU's and the rumours for AMD's next gen certainly seem very favourable, it makes me wonder what NVidia could do with it?

It is not, we already have seen the Vega 64 shrunk down to 7nm, you get less than TV100 performance at 300w.

TSMC 7nm is about a 25% performance increase at same power, or 40% power reduction at the same performance.

Permabanned
It is not, we already have seen the Vega 64 shrunk down to 7nm, you get less than TV100 performance at 300w.

GV100 is 815 sq.mm with 21.1 bln transistors. https://images.nvidia.com/content/volta-architecture/pdf/volta-architecture-whitepaper.pdf
If you shrink it to 7nm, you will get perhaps 50% die area reduction, which is still bigger than Vega 20 with its 13.23 bln transistors and 331 sq.mm die area. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-pro-vega-7nm.c3268

Caporegime
GV100 is 815 sq.mm with 21.1 bln transistors. https://images.nvidia.com/content/volta-architecture/pdf/volta-architecture-whitepaper.pdf
If you shrink it to 7nm, you will get perhaps 50% die area reduction, which is still bigger than Vega 20 with its 13.23 bln transistors and 331 sq.mm die area. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-pro-vega-7nm.c3268
\

It would also run about 30% faster and have more features such as Tensor Cores so deep learning performance could be well over 10x faster than Vega 20.

Associate
OP
Welp, that’ll learn me not to pay attention to rumour! Still might be worth waiting for feb to see what the reviews say but at $699 I’m not going to be rushing out to preorder a Radeon vii...

Soldato
but at $699 I’m not going to be rushing out to preorder a Radeon vii...

It's a stop gap product to get a decent return on some Vega 20 GPUs that didn't make the cut for Instinct. For now, this will match with the RTX 2080 for about the same money, so on paper that's covered. Navi will come in around September and take the midrange market by storm. But the proper fight will be 2020 with Arcturus - THAT is when AMD will be all out of excuses on the gaming front.

Caporegime
I think the Radeon VII at $699 - 2080 perf (aka 1080 Ti) - completely destroys any possibility of a $300 Navi chip which matches the 1080. Completely.

And this is very sad news.

So unless Sony take a hit on PS5 sales (selling at cost or a loss), then either: PS5 is giong to be £600+; PS5 is going to be 1070 ish perf.

Disappointing really. AMD are really unable to raise the bar in graphics.

Caporegime
But with very poor performance for a 7nm chip. Remember we expect at least 70-80% performance uplift from the node change alone.
LOL. Where on Earth are you getting that from? That's a complete joke, mate!

+25% from the node alone. That is all.

e: You can't just "add transistors" (as you say) for extra perf. What you're referring to is redesigning the chips. Which isn't "just a node change".

You don't just throw a bunch more transistors down.

So the only accurate statement is that the node change gives +25% perf (presumably through increased frequency) or 50% power (keeping existing frequencies).

Anything beyond that requires chip design change.

Last edited:
Permabanned
They should sell Radeon VII with 8GB VRAM a tier lower to match RTX 2060 pricing.

$699 - a hope is there it will be around 600 pounds and not 700 pounds and beyond :(

Associate
Yes, £600 and I'll bite. Any more and I'll probably wait until the price drops. I do want an AMD card next upgrade because their Linux driver is better.

Soldato
I think the Radeon VII at $699 - 2080 perf (aka 1080 Ti) - completely destroys any possibility of a $300 Navi chip which matches the 1080. Completely.

Why? This Radeon 7 feels like a stop gap product to address the RTX card's raster performance here and now, and then Navi will tackle the 2070 and below. Or do you think AMD are happy to cannibalise their Instinct MI50 cards in the long term just to get some gaming cards out? And the Navi cards can be a chunk cheaper because they're not using 16GB of HBM2.

Associate

And this is very sad news.

So unless Sony take a hit on PS5 sales (selling at cost or a loss), then either: PS5 is giong to be £600+; PS5 is going to be 1070 ish perf.

Disappointing really. AMD are really unable to raise the bar in graphics.

Navi will be a new custom built chip, probably 8gb of DDR6 instead of 16gb of HBM2. So it may or may not get 1080 performance, maybe it'll be 1070 we will see. I'm not sure I buy adoredTV's leak eitherway

Back
Top Bottom