• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

• Total voters
Soldato
How does upscaling lower res image quality make it look better than native 4k? Entirely subjective imo.

True, but at least with DLSS the upscaling algorithm is trying to replicate a known reference picture with its fewer generated pieces, rather than an image agnostic process. When it works I can see DLSS offering incredible upscaling quality, but obviously it will never be as good as just rendering natively.

Soldato
The move to 7nm gives either 25% more performance or same performance for half the power consumption for the same performance.

I think AMD should have gone for the latter route. Vega 64 performance at 150W to compete against the RTX 2060.

Instead of eking out that performance with the same high power consumption as Vega64.

vMCYELW.jpg

Caporegime
The move to 7nm gives either 25% more performance or same performance for half the power consumption for the same performance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9uqgbd/7nm_offers_2x_density_05x_power_at_same_perf_125x/

I think AMD should have gone for the latter route. Vega 64 performance at 150W to compete against the RTX 2060.

Then people would still have complained about no top end performance. Amd are in a situation currently where on the gpu side no matter what they do a vocal group will still be on the moan.

Soldato
Then people would still have complained about no top end performance. Amd are in a situation currently where on the gpu side no matter what they do a vocal group will still be on the moan.

But I think they would have sold a load of cards. I don't think the card they have launched will sell that well.

Obviously I can speak with hindsight. AMD didn't necessarily know what nvidia were going to do.

Caporegime
I am not even going to pretend I know the technical reasons but it definitely works.

Makes absolutely no sense, you can't just take a lower res asset and make it look better through some weird upscaling technique. If anything upscaling should make it look worse. I'll be interested to seeing actual side by side comparisons once this is something reviewers are looking at. What nvidia have shown so far reminds me of the old dvd\vhs comparison where people pushing dvd messed with vhs to make it look a lot blurrier than it was, was the same thing with dvd and bluray with dvd's suddenly looking like ass in the comparison. I think there are some shenanigans afoot, time will tell.

Caporegime
But I think they would have sold a load of cards. I don't think the card they have launched will sell that well.

Obviously I can speak with hindsight. AMD didn't necessarily know what nvidia were going to do.

Depends really, if it offers 2080 performance i think it'll sell reasonably well. Not everyone is sold on the rtx\dlss thing.

Soldato
Makes absolutely no sense, you can't just take a lower res asset and make it look better through some weird upscaling technique. If anything upscaling should make it look worse. I'll be interested to seeing actual side by side comparisons once this is something reviewers are looking at. What nvidia have shown so far reminds me of the old dvd\vhs comparison where people pushing dvd messed with vhs to make it look a lot blurrier than it was, was the same thing with dvd and bluray with dvd's suddenly looking like ass in the comparison. I think there are some shenanigans afoot, time will tell.

But you can do that. You won't get it perfect as ultimately you are guessing, but over millions of pixels you should improve the image.

The key point that annoys me is that, you do this through lots of tensor cores. You might as well have replaced those tensor cores with rasterisation cores and drawn the image correctly with that additional die area.

DLSS is an afterthought imo. They built Turing with ray tracing in mind, and now are coming up with other use cases for tensor cores, forgetting the fact ray tracing is a gimmick to begin with.

The key demo nvidia are using is also FFXV which has a terrible TAA implementation which just blurs everything. Making DLSS look sharper and better in comparison, although that doesn't mean it is doing nothing.

Caporegime
But you can do that. You won't get it perfect as ultimately you are guessing, but over millions of pixels you should improve the image.

The key point that annoys me is that, you do this through lots of tensor cores. You might as well have replaced those tensor cores with rasterisation cores and drawn the image correctly with that additional resource.

DLSS is an afterthought imo. They built Turing with ray tracing in mind, and now are coming up with other use cases for tensor cores, forgetting the fact ray tracing is a gimmick to bein with.

I honestly don't see it, i seen nvidia's demos and even then they were very hit or miss to see if there was much difference. If you have to zoom in x amount of times to see a difference i don't see the point.

It's definitely something that was bolted on late in the game.

Soldato

Instead of eking out that performance with the same high power consumption as Vega64.

RVII is MI60 salvaged part, that cannot be used on MI50 either.
Once the HBM is attached to the substrate it cannot be removed if the GPU is faulty on all cores. So the only way to not throw into the bin $400, is to strap a cooler and sell it as RVII.

And have no worry. AMD ain't going to have them gathering dust on the shelves. They will sell like hotcakes to the non gamers. Pay a visit on content creation and especially AI & Machine Learning enthusiast forums.
You shouldn't be surprised if you see the card selling for £1000 by end of February due to supply & demand.

And supply going to be very tight, as the manufacturing matures also over the upcoming months.
AMD isn't crazy to lose money selling RVII instead of MI60 or MI50.

Soldato
I honestly don't see it, i seen nvidia's demos and even then they were very hit or miss to see if there was much difference. If you have to zoom in x amount of times to see a difference i don't see the point.

It's definitely something that was bolted on late in the game.

Neural net image upscaling is definitely a real thing. Going from 1440p to 4k is hard to see, especially with video games.

However if you search on the internet for photo examples (where your eyes are much better at detecting image quality) you'll see how amazing it is.

Associate
My graphics is Vega 64 LC edition and im prepared to buy Vega VII...
If Vega VII can faster 30% tahn Vega 64 LC, i will buy it when Vega VII released.

Back
Top Bottom