• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll, nVidia CEO on Free Sync, is he believable or not?

Do you believe Jensen Huang

• I believe Jensen Huang

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • I do not believe Jensen Huang

Votes: 118 61.5%
  • Pancakes

Votes: 53 27.6%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
I have never used Freesync but having said that from the number of people on this forum who do the tech obviously works.

I suspect that the NVidia CEO is under pressure because people just don't want to pay the extra for a G-Sync monitor or like me don't want to get locked into their eco system.

Associate
I seriously don't understand why adding, what amounts in electrical engineering terms to a delay loop to a display, something that pauses everything until a signal arrives to actually start drawing the next frame, should require hundreds of dollars of the intricate custom logic that nvidia seem to have been claiming. Seriously, it always felt like something that should have been in the HDMI standard, like how hard seriously can it be to pause the state of a decoder and just wait around a bit? :V

Soldato
Total BS. They are probably trying to squeeze money from an open platform (Nvidia "approved" monitor or some crap). Basically a new tax and you won't be able to use adaptivesync monitors which aren't on the list.

Freesync works fine on AMD cards.

Last edited:
Associate
Poll, nVidia CEO on Free Sync, is he believable or not?

What with shenanigans with screws, shareholders and Nvidia GPU specs. why should anyone believe anything he says?
I expect everything that comes out of his mouth to be a lie until proven otherwise.

Soldato
I'm under the impression G-sync is better and that's partly down to a consistent implementation, enforced by Nvidia. Freesync varies and I wouldn't be surprised if the cheaper monitors are not that good. My impressions may be wrong however as I haven't tested freesync :).

Soldato
I'm under the impression G-sync is better and that's partly down to a consistent implementation, enforced by Nvidia. Freesync varies and I wouldn't be surprised if the cheaper monitors are not that good. My impressions may be wrong however as I haven't tested freesync :).

Freesync is just AMD's implementation of adaptivesync, adaptivesync is part of the display port standard. If Nvidia cards don't work on it, then the cards are at fault and don't meet industry standard.

Likely he knows they are at fault and is expecting people to experience problems. So is trying to deflect blame already. As well as try and talk people in to paying the gsync tax instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
JHH is on the verge of losing his position as CEO:
Nvidia worth in the stock market cut in half
Poor reception for RTX, quality control issues, etc
Slow Adaption of Ray Tracing/DLSS
Sued by shareholders for misleading them about company performance and handling of inventory channels
Vega 7 giving the 2080 competition

Lets not kid ourselves if the day comes that JHH is removed as CEO it won't be long before Nvidia is sold off with golden parachutes being deployed as far as the eyes can see.

Why?

Because as you get to 7nm and lower it's hard to convince anyone that a gpu die needs it's own board/eco system. Regardless of how many "transistors" is being used. Something Nvidia always taunts about. At some point it's going to be very clear that you don't need a "video card" for low to mid-range gaming on (at least).

Hard to believe? Why hasn't Nvidia released 7nm video cards yet for gaming? Perhaps it may come mid 2019 but I also won't be surprised if 7nm isn't delayed either for PC gaming.

I would keep an eye out for the next gen consoles. That's going to really tell you how depreciated "Video Cards" are. Better yet comparable to Sound Cards.

Caporegime
Jensen at the minute is just another Steve Jobs though not as good with the verbal BS. Though to be fair with apple fans he could have offered his turds to them in an iphone box and they would sell, not exactly the most demanding audience. They have an annoying tendency to believe everything Herr Jobs said and that was that, facts be damned.

Soldato
Hard to believe? Why hasn't Nvidia released 7nm video cards yet for gaming? Perhaps it may come mid 2019 but I also won't be surprised if 7nm isn't delayed either for PC gaming.

I would keep an eye out for the next gen consoles. That's going to really tell you how depreciated "Video Cards" are. Better yet comparable to Sound Cards.

According to the news (financials not rumours) Samsung will produce the 7nm Nvidia cards in 2020..... So seems there won't be any 7nm this year.

Sued by shareholders for misleading them about company performance and handling of inventory channels

50,000,000 units of Pascal & Volta inventory...... Or $1.417 billion worth.
(yeah they wrote off their value also).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom