Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Associate
Just purchased one of these and have very low volume when playing pubg, however when using it for BFV it sounds great, only need it at 60 volume.
Have checked the firmware and it is already up to date. Set the device up as recommended using 7.1, enabling the speakers as default etc, but the sound is really low in Pubg.

Using Sennheiser HD 555 headphones. Any ideas?

hmm thats strange. 60 volume seems still way too high. I'm usually below 30 sometimes below 20 with my game zeros.

You sure you have the right gsx device set as default? make sure its the speakers main audio gsx device and not headset earphone. disable all other audio devices and see what happens. Make sure your gsx is plugged into a usb2 port not a usb3 just in case.

are you sure the games volume is up in volume mixer? right click on volume icon in task manager and select volume mixer.

Associate
@shankly1985 ,
Sennheiser replied:

"I'm glad to hear that the GSX 1000 seems to be working for you now! The version you have is not any different performance wise to the .808 version. We have just changed the way that we do updates with the device due to some customer misunderstandings with the installation of the version that you have so we changed it. You have installed it properly and no need to update"

Regards,
Melissa Miller
Sennheiser Service Team

Not sure what that means. Sounds like maybe that reddit poster was on to something. lol

Associate
hmm thats strange. 60 volume seems still way too high. I'm usually below 30 sometimes below 20 with my game zeros.

You sure you have the right gsx device set as default? make sure its the speakers main audio gsx device and not headset earphone. disable all other audio devices and see what happens. Make sure your gsx is plugged into a usb2 port not a usb3 just in case.

are you sure the games volume is up in volume mixer? right click on volume icon in task manager and select volume mixer.

Thanks for the replies, I have followed the tutorials for setting it up correctly. As i say it works great in BF5 as I don't need to go any higher than 50 as that's more than enough. Pubg though is a different matter. Don't get me wrong, I can hear it, but it is no where near loud enough.

Putting back in my soundblaster x, the volume levels are much much better, but the positional audio is not as good.

Associate
Thanks for the replies, I have followed the tutorials for setting it up correctly. As i say it works great in BF5 as I don't need to go any higher than 50 as that's more than enough. Pubg though is a different matter. Don't get me wrong, I can hear it, but it is no where near loud enough.

Putting back in my soundblaster x, the volume levels are much much better, but the positional audio is not as good.

see this threads. Apparently 7.1 is broken and done very badly in pubg. The recommendation is to play the game in stereo.

BFV supports native 7.1 in their tech sheets and the devs have very talented audio engineers. These don't seem to be the case for pubg.

https://forums.pubg.com/topic/50647-sennheiser-gsx1000-and-footsteps/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/578080/discussions/1/1319962417043496714/?ctp=3

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGR...those_who_believe_this_game_supports_71_when/

Last edited:
Associate
Here we go man finally got the official word. https://forums.pubg.com/topic/176319-astro-a50-settings/?tab=comments#comment-593289

If you scroll down you will see the pubg community manager states the game does not support 5.1 and he himself recommends you play the game in stereo.

If they have added some 7.1 option its probably just a virtual stereo mix, and apparently it is badly broken since all the threads and complaints about it.

SO you would definitely have to switch the gsx to stereo and use another in game or 3rd party virtual option for 3d audio. The gsx is for native surround support. Any virtual stereo mix played through the gsx in 7.1 will probably sound extremely muffled and probably missing sounds.

And I gotta say for this game to have so many complaints about its surround sound is pretty shameful since 3d audio has been around in fps games for 20 years with less issues then this game apparently. I don't even play the game but reading about this is fascinating to me lol.

Here they tried to fix it secretly in MAY, after dozens of threads I've read from february to april https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...d-works-in-the-game-but-forgot-to-tell-anyone

But your experience tells me its still not supporting native channels and the HRTF plugin is still horribly bad. Since you say the positional sound with the soundblaster is still terrible. And I bet the devs knew this which is why they didn't announce the change lol.

Last edited:
Associate
Well this is even more shameful to pubg devs. Fortnite uses the same game engine. UE4. But, most gamers actually recommend fortnites 7.1 surround sound options over regular stereo. Which, is the complete opposite from what pubg gamers recommend. I can't find nearly the amount of complaints about fortnites audio as there are for pubg.

Now obviously native 7.1 vs hrtf are different sources. But apparently chances are if the developers can't do one right, they can't do the other right either lmao.

I'd be curious to know if you ever tried fortnite with the gsx 1000?

Soldato
OP
PUBG has of Aug 2017 defo does have rear speakers. I recorded this video testing what the game does with its audio and from what you can see the game supports front left and right and rear left and right. It doesn't have a centre channel nor does it have side channel.
This means its not 2.0 or 5.1 or 7.1 its something like 4.1 LOL

Great way to test game for surround sound if you not sure is record them in 7.1 and play them back in editing software.

Associate
Cooloutac, thanks so much for the replies. To be honest I have boxed this up to be returned for a refund, when I get home tonight i'll unbox it again and set to stereo and give it a go in pubg. I'm pretty sure I have tried stereo but I may not have, makes sense though as it only affects pubg.

Another issue I have noticed and it may have already been mentioned on this thread so forgive me if it has. From a cold boot the GSX1000 powers up, but upon entering the OS it shuts down completely. It is still recognized in device manager but won't work until I unplug the usb cable and plug it back in. I have tried un-ticking the 'allow device to be put to sleep' settings in USB but still the same. On a reboot it powers up fine, just on a cold boot this behavior happens. I imagine this is a OS issue though, however it will be an inconvenience to have to do this everytime. I have tried different USB ports, both USB 2 and USB 3 with the same outcome.

I really like the device and want to keep it, but there are a couple of niggles that are telling me to return it.

Associate
Tried stereo, still the same unfortunately. Uninstalled the game and reinstalled, still the same. No idea now, run out of ideas.

Associate
PUBG has of Aug 2017 defo does have rear speakers. I recorded this video testing what the game does with its audio and from what you can see the game supports front left and right and rear left and right. It doesn't have a centre channel nor does it have side channel.
This means its not 2.0 or 5.1 or 7.1 its something like 4.1 LOL

Great way to test game for surround sound if you not sure is record them in 7.1 and play them back in editing software.

weird. could explain all the complaints. no center channel? Thats a terrible mix.

Definitely explains complaints of when people turn and hear sound from left on the right or vice versa lol.

Have you tested fortnite? Its the same game engine but it doesn't have the complaints that pubg has.

Associate
Cooloutac, thanks so much for the replies. To be honest I have boxed this up to be returned for a refund, when I get home tonight i'll unbox it again and set to stereo and give it a go in pubg. I'm pretty sure I have tried stereo but I may not have, makes sense though as it only affects pubg.

Another issue I have noticed and it may have already been mentioned on this thread so forgive me if it has. From a cold boot the GSX1000 powers up, but upon entering the OS it shuts down completely. It is still recognized in device manager but won't work until I unplug the usb cable and plug it back in. I have tried un-ticking the 'allow device to be put to sleep' settings in USB but still the same. On a reboot it powers up fine, just on a cold boot this behavior happens. I imagine this is a OS issue though, however it will be an inconvenience to have to do this everytime. I have tried different USB ports, both USB 2 and USB 3 with the same outcome.

I really like the device and want to keep it, but there are a couple of niggles that are telling me to return it.

A trick I've found to get it to work man. Is simply open up your game. Any game that has voip will wake the device. Or another way to wake it is to simply move volume slider in task manager while gsx is set as default device. This will wake it up also. Turning the volume knob does not.

Soldato
OP
weird. could explain all the complaints. no center channel? Thats a terrible mix.

Definitely explains complaints of when people turn and hear sound from left on the right or vice versa lol.

Have you tested fortnite? Its the same game engine but it doesn't have the complaints that pubg has.

Let me get it downloaded later and I'll test. :D

Associate
I have an idea. Bottom right, click speaker then open volume mixer while game open does pugb have max volume?

Yep tried that as well! Shankly1985, be great to hear your results when using it for PUBG. Unfortunately its pretty much the only thing i play :)

Soldato
OP

5.1 works on Fortnite, it doesn't support 7.1 though.

From top to bottom
Front left and right
Centre speaker
Sub
Rear left and right

Side speakers left and right was not used along with my mic disabled.

9924823803445a4542a743b66043dcef2c1d22e77d52deb6d974ed1827d4c320eba53bda.jpg

Soldato
5.1 works on Fortnite, it doesn't support 7.1 though.
There's really no difference in amount of spatial information between 5.1 and 7.1:
Sound source directly left or right simply has identical signal in both front and rear channel of that side.

Darn Microsoft for killing DirectSound and HW acceleration of sounds.
If sound rendering was still done by sound card only limit for output channels would be how many of them sound card supports.

Back
Top Bottom