Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Thanks guys, this thread is invaluable...

So everything but the 5 metre plug bar has arrived and I've started slowly filling the tank as am having to use a jug and wanted to leak test. Got a lot of condensation on the outside of the glass to the water line but guessing thats normal.

Can't wait to see his reaction on Sunday

Soldato
U love asterina? I find them a good little cleaner crew but they do find there way into my sump which is annoying

yeah as you say they are good cleaners and get into spaces where other things cant.

Thanks guys, this thread is invaluable...

So everything but the 5 metre plug bar has arrived and I've started slowly filling the tank as am having to use a jug and wanted to leak test. Got a lot of condensation on the outside of the glass to the water line but guessing thats normal.

Can't wait to see his reaction on Sunday

wil be normal as your filling it with cold water, once the heater catches up it will go away

Soldato
Leak test is always a good idea.

If you haven't already go to B&Q and grab a couple of 'fish only' buckets for a £1 each and grab a cheap aquarium siphon from P@H or just use a short length of hose get the water back out for water changes (1M is probably plenty, any type will do as long as its reasonable flexible).

I know a lot of people with large tanks just use a dedicated 'fish' garden hose and siphon the water straight out the window or back door and water the garden with it.

Last edited:
Associate
Personally for me the Denerle is the nicer tank, but it is less user friendly. The Flex is the safer option, I just personally no not like the black silicone.

The lid isn't great on the Denerle because of the gaps, its mostly there to stop evaporation and fish jumping out rather than to stop anything getting in but it is possible for critters to past the lid. You don't need a big filter on the Denerle, you can get away with just using an Ehiem surface skimmer or the smallest hang-on-back/internal filters available. Even the smallest external filters are far too powerful. The one it comes with is a bit low on the flow side but it shrimp safe, getting caught in the trap of buying replacement filters is mostly just that.

When you say in the kitchen, what do you mean? It's hard to imagine as my kitchen is tiny and the only place for it would be on a work top. The only thing I can think of for a kitchen is that its much more likely that you are going to be spraying cleaning products about in there. I don't think it would be a problem if you take care, don't do anything silly like spraying over the thank or on the tank (or in it!).

I see you are in London, is Aqua Depot anywhere near you? That shop is meant to be good for wood/rocks and plants.

By in the kitchen I meant the fish tank will be placed on my countertop. The kitchen is extended and will not be anywhere near the hob or cooking areas or the sink so should be safe enough and out of harms way. I wanted to observe the tank from the breakfast bar.

The Dennerle does look nicer than the Fluval Flex except for the lid situation. I have also come across a 42L tank by Hugo Kamishi which seems to be fine for a simple setup but would also require me to source my own filter. They do a LED light that fits into the cover.

I haven't come across anything else so will lean towards one of the three mentioned as the size seems to allow me to keep a school of neon tetras with some live plants.

If I am going down the route of a solo tank can you recommend a filter and heater that will work well and maybe a light if go with the Dennerle.

Aqua Depot is roughly a 30 minute drive so could be an option once chosen a tank or maybe speak to Aquarium Gardens.

Soldato
Half way full and so far so good will get it fully topped off tomorrow when the new watering can comes, limited space up top so should hopefully make filling easier plus with it being 5 litres I should be able to work out exactly how much water is coming out for water changes etc and can be used to water the plants.

Still thinking a long the lines of a betta, I know shrimp are a good clean up crew but what other bottom feeders are good with sand substrate?

Soldato
I would personally buy a small heater you can hide, I have a 25w fluval edge heater in my denerle 35l.

For a filter it’s really about personal preference and what you find the lease repulsive. Given it’s on a counter top Something small and internal like a fluval mini would be my go to.

Another alternative is a hang on back or the denerle scapers flow.

The light is more difficult, any preference on style (strip, pendent, hanging, gooseneck etc.)? Do you want to try and grow difficult plants?

The denerle kit it’s self comes with a light which is fine for easy plats. I wouldn’t be too worried about it being in a kitchen to be honest.

Soldato
@ddoubleep have you considered/thought if your countertop can take the weight of a fishtank that large.

Water is roughly 1kg per ltr so your gonna be putting 40kg of water + the tank itself and any equipment/gravel/rock etc.

If you want to put it in the kitchen id be looking at something rougly half that size Unless you can fit a stand somewhere.

Associate
I would personally buy a small heater you can hide, I have a 25w fluval edge heater in my denerle 35l.

For a filter it’s really about personal preference and what you find the lease repulsive. Given it’s on a counter top Something small and internal like a fluval mini would be my go to.

Another alternative is a hang on back or the denerle scapers flow.

The light is more difficult, any preference on style (strip, pendent, hanging, gooseneck etc.)? Do you want to try and grow difficult plants?

The denerle kit it’s self comes with a light which is fine for easy plats. I wouldn’t be too worried about it being in a kitchen to be honest.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look today.

I'd be at most growing simple easy plants. It's just to look more natural and to give some variation to the tank rather than fake plants. Was thinking carpet some areas and then have some in the background for the fish to hide. I'll check what's available from the stores mentioned.

Associate
@ddoubleep have you considered/thought if your countertop can take the weight of a fishtank that large.

Water is roughly 1kg per ltr so your gonna be putting 40kg of water + the tank itself and any equipment/gravel/rock etc.

If you want to put it in the kitchen id be looking at something rougly half that size Unless you can fit a stand somewhere.

Valid point. I haven't considered the weight factor. My assumption was something like 34/35/42L would have been ok? The countertop has cupboards underneath to support the weight? Will this still put pressure on it?

The only smaller tank was 19L Fluval Spec or one of those 30L Nano tanks or 28L rectangular tanks.

I wanted in the kitchen as main focal point of the house.

Thanks.

Soldato
I had a fulval spec 19ltr aquarium and ran sucesfuly as a reef tank with a couple of modifications. They are great tanks for
The money

N7TsYYm.jpg
aN6jLxk.jpg

Unfortunatly i cant find any better pictures of it but was easily growing coral. Had some sexy shrimp in there aswell as a small goby. Much more interesting and more of a focal point than a freshwater tank imo

Edit:- found a better pic

D3RDVVr.jpg

Soldato
Countertop will be fine assuming it’s not over a large stretch with no support underneath. The weight is spread out over the entire stretch.

You gotta think a sink full of water is easily 30L and plus the weight of a double enamel sink that’s just supported around the rim Where a huge hole is cut out of it.

Mine can take my weight easily and I am much much heavier.

Associate
I had a fulval spec 19ltr aquarium and ran sucesfuly as a reef tank with a couple of modifications. They are great tanks for
The money

N7TsYYm.jpg
aN6jLxk.jpg

Unfortunatly i cant find any better pictures of it but was easily growing coral. Had some sexy shrimp in there aswell as a small goby. Much more interesting and more of a focal point than a freshwater tank imo

Edit:- found a better pic

D3RDVVr.jpg

Cheers for the pictures and information on the Spec 19L. Great looking setup and seems some serious time and effort went into it.

I have seen some great videos on a Spec setup. I wouldn't mind having a Shrimp setup but the family prefers a Betta or Neon Tetra setup and wasn't sure if the 19L would suffice as a setup for 6/7 Tetras. Having a Betta and Tetra is probably a no-no also hence looked at the next size up.

Associate
Countertop will be fine assuming it’s not over a large stretch with no support underneath. The weight is spread out over the entire stretch.

You gotta think a sink full of water is easily 30L and plus the weight of a double enamel sink that’s just supported around the rim Where a huge hole is cut out of it.

Mine can take my weight easily and I am much much heavier.

The countertop is over a stretch but has cupboards underneath flush from end to end so in theory should hold the tanks I am looking at as you've rightly pointed out.

Cheers.

Associate
small tanks will be fine on your worktop

CUpW48b.jpg

J6oUTju.jpg

e2dIu10.jpg

thats a 55 and 35 scapers tank and a i got a 20 l fluval tank to the side , both tanks have one of these for lighting https://www.amazon.co.uk/AquarienEc...&qid=1547290727&sr=8-15&keywords=aquarium+led , no problems growing plants under them , ive never dosed any ferts/co2 (mainly cos theyre shrimp tanks) either, jus recently stipped down the smaller shrimp/puffer tank and took out a ton of bacopa that was over 4ft long in places and nearly a Lb of java moss :D re-carpeted it with some 10p seeds from aliexpress :D

J6oUTju

e2dIu10

Associate
small tanks will be fine on your worktop

CUpW48b.jpg

J6oUTju.jpg

e2dIu10.jpg

thats a 55 and 35 scapers tank and a i got a 20 l fluval tank to the side , both tanks have one of these for lighting https://www.amazon.co.uk/AquarienEc...&qid=1547290727&sr=8-15&keywords=aquarium+led , no problems growing plants under them , ive never dosed any ferts/co2 (mainly cos theyre shrimp tanks) either, jus recently stipped down the smaller shrimp/puffer tank and took out a ton of bacopa that was over 4ft long in places and nearly a Lb of java moss :D re-carpeted it with some 10p seeds from aliexpress :D

J6oUTju

e2dIu10

Thanks for this. What Fluval tank is it? I am leaning towards the 35 Scapers based on your three being side by side. What filter and heater do you have in them? The 55 and 35 seem to differ a bit? I have seen the filter in your 55 in a few places and seem different to the common starter tank ones.

Have you had any issues with the gaps in the lid?

I have looked up the suggestions by @b0rn2sk8 and fit well with the 35.

I could go for the 35 kit with filter and light but just wanted to see if it might be better to do it all standalone or whether should just keep it simple and spend the outlay on the kit.

Appreciate all the information given and looking forward to setting this up and tinkering with it this year.

Soldato
Air bubbles all over my sand substrate causing bits too float to the surface. Any ideas?

Got little air bubbles all over the glass too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom