Model Building Services?

Man of Honour
I have a couple of large Warship models 1:350th scale that I want to get built. I have started one, the other not but I am not really of the skill level to do them justice and would prefer to have someone build them for me. Does anyone know of people who provide this service, ideas of costs, timescales etc?

Sod it, wrong forum. Can a mod move this to GD please?

Man of Honour
OP
I have asked a couple of times in that thread, but nuffin forthcoming so thought I would just raise a general thread to seek advice.

Associate
There are professional services out there or you can get high quality amateurs to do them. Depends what you want really and what you want to spend.

I have done airfix/revell on commission and for display gifts (ex RAF family got aircraft they used to work on etc) but I don’t consider myself a professional. Ittook me about 5 weeks to build and paint a RAF Tornado. All in it was around 60 hours work I think and with the resin upgrade parts was well over £200 for just the kit alone. I’m not sure how long a 1/350 ship would take to build but I would suggest a pro is going to be £20 per hour upwards so costs spiral quickly.

Post in wargaming probably best bet.

Associate
Dioramas look good. Pain to keep clean though. I managed to dig out a few photos of the 2 I finished in 2018 for family. Unfortunately the photos are taken from Facebook as I can't find the originals. Both are 1/48 scale with a lot of upgrade and custom made parts (FOD covers etc). Both recipients were engineers in the RAF hence the layouts.

y4m2pwGMs_Hsx_hINwYewl4RpRmEXtWIhraUXEhVj_JywUEjb-U0fgusD7IZNNrLMm2UFjx_akITuF1sysw0uIpAApMsQCsOXrmIi_FmeEtzTk1aBLagdySfOdjGP1Z-uc-VynwvthTejL-exzClecLObGQX-R3WEpaoTsXBqXa6Lq9j6p8Ux7nk1_0k6wpLBF8qsUVAqlGAO3ASYnfnPYWSw

y4m_BOYkO3s3G5WAhF_SQ7nOm3FUrWDksGaycrChRyQc4Lp8FRCJi31PW6wHtjrFxsHaQ5NEvNp71CpClOQSovaq_Pdzd2S6fmXhE0wyH4jpiUadmWtrwaUAZkvT-J78RO-uMJXdsf5HqvB8DW0Q5OCFfTBed47ovzoV_6O_ZgQDyx5WlTxB3-ArykeoaTSSZG91UFC6N5pnjMrn_SkHRv5GA

y4m5zFMZk-iUHUz2zwe2OJztVWnS8vKdXnijstuntgpUxXUBincGf58heyYT43P4C-D7uV_3zNLep_wP_0vMdtvvYUnxF5Vuyu61f0f4_1ZNxok8T6CTjwWkd-sEAUyLA5933Zh03XycLVQFt9brkjil-ar2SnUqzA0W85WDOUdVT2IRMFNlWRO-EfufUhpSr6IYXlrfY9XY9HwOYFEKqNECw

Man of Honour
OP
Man of Honour
OP
There are professional services out there or you can get high quality amateurs to do them. Depends what you want really and what you want to spend.

I have done airfix/revell on commission and for display gifts (ex RAF family got aircraft they used to work on etc) but I don’t consider myself a professional. Ittook me about 5 weeks to build and paint a RAF Tornado. All in it was around 60 hours work I think and with the resin upgrade parts was well over £200 for just the kit alone. I’m not sure how long a 1/350 ship would take to build but I would suggest a pro is going to be £20 per hour upwards so costs spiral quickly.

Post in wargaming probably best bet.

I would have to compare it with pre-built versions but I have both the models already.

Soldato
Hi Housey,

I appreciate this is a somewhat open forum, but have you considered what you are willing to pay?

I have done a couple of contributor builds for Airfix Model World magazine. They supply the kits, paints and most consumables and I build the kit and I photograph the progress (I have invested in lighting and a good DSLR camera) and write and format the article. They pay £30 per page for an article average between 6-8 pages.

I also know people who do commission builds and this a professional service that is bound by a contract agreed between client and service provider.

If you consider the cost of a kit (which i think you already have), all the paints and consumables required and add to that, say 150 hrs at the current minimum wage, is that a budget you are comfortable with?

Last edited:
Soldato
So basically he’s looking at over a grand. That’s a lot of cash.

The amount of hrs was a complete guess as i don't usually record the total time i spend on a model build.

It may be a lot lower in terms of hours, my point was to highlight the overall potential cost and if Housey had considered a budget for that.

Associate
Which kits have you got?

Agreeing with the above. Having done those 2 for family I couldn’t see you spending less than a grand per model for build and paint to a pro standard.

My family asked me to do more for their ex raf friends but they wouldn’t pay that so I declined. It takes a lot of time to do.

Caporegime
Wouldn’t you get more satisfaction from them if you have built them yourself? It’s time consuming and difficult, but you might surprise yourself in just how good you can do it.

Do you have all the necessary modelling equipment?

Associate
Did you have a budget in mind when you started the thread. An amateur with a longer timeline will save money and would get you a good result but prob not quite a pro level who does it as their only job. The timeline is a factor in pricing it out.

Back
Top Bottom