32" AOC 1440p monitor - any good?

Soldato
So it's an epic upgrade from my old monitor in terms of size. In fact it might be too big? I can see why a 34 inch curved screen would be better, but they are 3-4x the price, no dead or stuck pixels which I was surprised at. Gonna see how it is tomorrow in daylight, smaller and 144hz maybe the better option for me, honestly dont see the fuss about colour and things as I'm colour blind anyway and dont see many colours lol

Soldato
It's too big for me :(, loverly monitor just not the right one for me, maybe 28 inch 4k or 1440p would be better for me. Awesome if you can find the right seating position tho!

Man of Honour
It's too big for me :(, loverly monitor just not the right one for me, maybe 28 inch 4k or 1440p would be better for me. Awesome if you can find the right seating position tho!
how far away are you sitting from the monitor?
i sit about 2.5-3ft away and find it perfect, the edges of the monitor are well within my field of vision.
i've had 24 inch, 28 inch monitors before, and i think 32 inch is the perfect size for desktop usage

Soldato
Sit back and stick with it. :D

It took me a few days to get used my 32" beasty when I got it. I have a 24" 1080p secondary next to it which is now pathetic. I'd cry if I had to use it as my main. :p

Soldato
Love the size but took a while to get used to it. I work on two browsers open side by side now, perfect. Gaming is fun too since it feels more immersive (at least in my mind).

Associate
I got mine a couple of days ago.

It's taking a lot of getting used to coming from my puny 27". This thing is massive!

Love it. Colours are vibrant. Contrast excellent. Not done much gaming other than a few minutes of Scum and an hour or so of Transport Fever but the quality is superb. The fact it cost less than £200 makes it SO SWEET! :cool:

Associate
...still not used to having to physically turn my head when I notice something out of the corner of my eye haha!

Looking forward to playing atmospheric survival games like The Long Dark, Subnautica and Stranded Deep on this thing :eek:

Associate
so i just side-graded from the VWF to the VWFD8
i made the purchase decision based on the review here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-q3279vwfd8/

i can honestly say it's a massive step up going from the VA panel of the original VWF to the IPS panel on the VWFD8. the difference is night and day IMO.
very pleased with my decision :)
also got it on the cheap with the ebay sale (<£175 inc delivery)

1440p, IPS, 32 inch, 75hz, freesync (albeit at limited range) - a steal for the price.

I just did the same, and I ran them both side by side to compare. The colours & contrast of the old VA panel is better when fully calibrated (very very good, actually), whereas the colours don't pop as much on this one. That is pretty much down to the switch from VA to IPS, but I wasn't disappointed either way, you can't have everything. The panel surface is matte now instead of shiny, which didn't really bother me with the old one but I imagine it would be annoying for some. Most importantly though, the smeary vaseline ghosting of the VA model in dark scenes is gone, which is massive for me. It doesn't quite feel as crisp/sharp as the VA, but that could just be the windows settings.

Either way, for a cheap 32inch 1440p gaming monitor with Freesync support, really can't go wrong for 200 quid.

Man of Honour
Was going to go for the VA originally but he recommended the D8 very well

Indeed. I agree the VA panel's colours have more pop in them, but the IPS colours are by no means bad. I guess it's the matte coating that makes the colours pop less and makes it look that bit more smeary...but...
...the lack of ghosting makes the IPS panel stand head and shoulders above the VA.

Associate
So, according to the Nvidia subreddit, the VWFD8 works with gsync on.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YI0RQcymJSY0-LkbjSRGswWpJzVRuK_4zMvphRbh19k/edit#gid=0
Excited. Will have to try when I get home! :D

There's a listing with the bog standard VWF, but it wasn't filled in properly...but I don't see why it shouldn't work, if its twin sibling works with gsync.

Ohhhhhh hello! My 1070Ti is going to love this :D

I can't access reddit at work, what do I have to do to enable it?

Man of Honour
Ohhhhhh hello! My 1070Ti is going to love this :D

Install the latest drivers and it'll be in the Nvidia control panel apparently. Dunno what it'll be called though. I'm going try tonight lol

Man of Honour
From reddit
HOW TO ENABLE ADAPTIVE SYNC;

• Turn Freesync ON in the monitor settings
  • Let the monitor disconnect and reconnect
  • Taskbar > Right Click > Nvidia Control Panel > Global Settings > Monitor Technology > Gsync Compatible -- Hit Apply. Monitor should disconnect and reconnect as if you were doing a driver update.
  • If your monitor is over 60hz (it likely is) you will have to go into Change Resolution > Select your monitor -- change it back to 144hz.
NOTE: G-SYNC WILL NOT BE WORKING YET.

• In the Nvidia Control Panel, Go to Display > Set Up G-Sync
  • Under "1. Apply Following Changes" Choose to enable in Full Screen or Windowed & Full Screen Mode (user choice, I currently am testing with windowed + full screen)
  • Under "2. Select the display you would like to change" Select the panel(s) you want to apply this to. The Panel you are selecting should resemble this, with the G-sync logo on it.
  • Under "3. Display Specific Settings," check "Enable settings for the selected display model."
  • Go to the bottom right, click apply. Monitor should disconnect and reconnect, just like you did a driver update.

Just remember the option will only show up when u use Display port (or mini dp) to connect. No luck for HDMI for now.

Back
Top Bottom