Anyone else not find things funny?

Caporegime
humour is very different kinda share the ops thoughts. many peoples favs i dont find funny at all. especially people like gervais and the usual channel 4 **** . how people can sit there crying with laughter is beyond me. micheal macyntrye how just how ....come on ! :p

Permabanned
I like dennis :D

Most comedy isnt funny is it really, any canned laughter shows are cancer.

I couldn't make it halfway. So cringey IMO :o

There are maybe 2-3 American standups that I'd rank in my top 10, and some shows/films here and there that I like, but most of it is garbage IMO. Don't get me wrong though: the same goes for most countries' comedy I've come across. /snob.

Soldato
The older series of TBBT was pretty good, but it went down hill fast when they brought in all the women, now you need to be an idiot to enjoy it. Guardians of the Galaxy was so bad me and my gf turned it off about an hour in, I didn't even realise it was meant to be funny.

Permabanned
SNL

I've no idea why Americans find it funny.

Current SNL pales in comparison to its prime, and the ratings aren't nearly as strong as they used to be. Its prime was probably in the 80s, with the best person on there IMO was Eddie Murphy (back when he was funny). Still, as a Brit, I'd say it was just pretty good then - I'd rather watch one of Eddie's 80s standup specials or films.

Last edited:
Soldato
Simon attempting to talk dirty on the Inbetweeners. Nearly ******* killed me.

I'd say The Inbetweeners is the only modern-day comedy that is funny.

The best all-time comedy has to be Only Fools and Horses though, shortly followed by On The Buses.

More to the point, everybody is different and if these popular comedies weren't funny, they wouldn't be popular in the first place.

Soldato
Really surprised IT Crowd hasn't been mentioned yet, that's one of the funniest sitcoms of the past few years (closer to 15 now though :0)

Also, 8 out of 10 cats does countdown is always LOL funny, most thingfs with Jimmy Carr are though, he's my favourite comedian. Really like John Richardsons dry humour too, and Sean Lock. Inbetweeners was worth the watch first time but gets a bit boring.

Soldato
Actual lol shows:

8 out of 10 Cats
WILTY
Blackadder
Phoenix Nights
Max and Paddy
Father Ted
The Inbetweeners
Flowery Tw@ts
Bottom
Red Dwarf

Actual lol comedians:

Jimmy Carr
Frankie Boyle
Sean Lock
Peter Kay

I used to find Lee Evans stand up hilarious, i think he is flogging a dead horse now.

Shows i don't get:

Vic and Bob/Shooting Stars
League of Gentlemen

Last edited:
Soldato
I like some of the more subtle character interactions. The way he says "part of the uniform" still makes me laugh:

For films, one of the funniest I've ever seen is The Fearless Vampire Killers, or Pardon me but your Teeth are in my Neck. It sounds like a cheap farce but it's very calmly paced and layers up the absurdity little by little. And it's filled with characters who are just strange enough to be hilarious without pushing them into not feeling real to you.

Soldato
Not sure if there is something wrong with me and I'm just a miserable **** but I don't find 99% of the things other people laugh at funny. I've never been depressed and I'm a popular guy with lots of friends but people seem to laugh at anything.

For example someone at work was just saying the big bang theory makes him cry with laughter everytime he watches it. I have saw an episode before and didn't smirk once. Was at the cinema watching guardians of the galaxy years ago, and everyone was laughing out loud at the end credits when the little plant thing kept dancing and when Batista turned round he stopped...honestl h couldn't work out what was funny.

In the office I'm convinced people have a ''corporate' laugh as well. Don't get me wrong i laugh out loud at the classics like OFAH, The Office, Fawlty Towers, Tommy Cooper but I just think comedy now is awful and the **** people laugh at is just dumb humour.

Yes maybe I am a miserable so and so before I get called it ;)

Your problem is intelligence, sometimes ignorance is bliss.
If your like me then only jokes that make you think make you laugh. Easy jokes are just boring, so that rules out almost every American sitcom.
Take for example the office vs office us. It like chalk and cheese.

Soldato
The film Ted was on tv last night. The first time I saw the Flash Gordon bit of that film I was in stitches. Still a great sketch but obviously the surprise element has gone the second time round.

I find Clarkson funny too. I like stuff thats mildly offensive. Never met a girl who likes him though, nor celeb juice. I wonder why this is?

Soldato
I never really found Lee Evans funny, he seems like the kind of guy you would see on a cruise ship or Butlins holiday.

As a kid I would find humour in a lot things especially slapstick. I remember asking my Dad to replay scenes of Blackadder over and over again.

These days most things I find funny are either non-PC or have a dry delivery like Stewart Lee.

Man of Honour
People have different senses of humour. A lot of people seem to think that things are inherently funnier if someone could foreseeably find the joke offensive. To my mind, every single joke like that has the same punchline - "my statement is intentionally and deliberately reckless / mocking of others". Errr... yey? That's not to say it's exclusively not funny, it's more that being offensive does not, to my mind, make something funnier.

My favourite style of humour is silly / bemusing humour. There is just a pure and wonderful childish joy to it that transcends age and background. I think the modern '21 Jump Street' film is a brilliant example of that sort of humour done really well. Even thinking about the scene where they are discussing "you have the right to be an attorney" makes me grin :D

Examples of the things I find very funny (without thinking about it too much):

Deadpool - where he drops the slice of pizza.

LOTR Return of the King - ".... that STILL counts as one!!!" (that is just a brilliant example of build up and punchline)

Guardians of the Galaxy - "Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it"

Angry Video Game Nerd - "Pizza??! PIZZA ****!!!!!"

Home Alone 2 - where he's throwing the bricks. So stupid but lol

Only Fools and Horses - Batman and Robin

The Inbetweener's Movie - The dancing over to the girls.

So yeah, plenty of silly things I find amusing.

I always find stand up a bit crap. Jasper Carrot was always my favourite. Just silly stories :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom