• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New graphics card needed for Samsung NU8000 TV

Associate
Hi all, i'm totally lost with modern PC hardware and hope some of you nice ppl can advise me to what Graphics card would go with my current system.
https://uk.************.com/list/NWkZCb

Intel - Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus - Z97-P ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA - GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB Superclocked Video Card
Corsair - 330R Titanium Edition ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair - TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

My main usage is movie tv viewing, occasional gaming mainly Resident evil type games and emulating my old wii games etc.
I would like to try newer gaming to see what higher resolutions / freesync would be like on the Samsung TV.
My initial thoughts were anything from a RX 570 to Vega 64 but i really don't know if a Vega 64 would be wasted on me.
Regards

Soldato
Personally i would go with Vega 64 as games at 4k are pretty taxing. The new resident evil at 4k should be pretty taxing so the power would not be wasted. I would go with this model.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-38j-sp.html

You also get Resident Evil 2 remake free so a saving there. You also get Devil May Cry 5 and the division 2 free so may be able to punt them off to get even more money back.

Last edited:
Permabanned
What resolution is the TV you're using?

If it's a 4k TV new Vega's due in February, it'll cost a couple of hundred more than a Vega 64 but it'll be worth it over the long haul if you want it to last as long as possible. Plus like the Vega 64 it comes with 3 games including Resident Evil 2.

If it's a 1080pp TV a 690 would do a decent job and again it comes with the same three free games.

Soldato
He can but I've tried doing that a couple of times and didn't like how dropping below the native resolution affected the visuals

I have noticed very little to non running out of spec when its 4k to 1080p, plus its tv dependant on the scaling and its all a perfect pixel to pixel translation. degradation would be minimal compared to something like an odd resolution which can cause distorted image.

hence why i asked him, i assumed he has tried it and know. If he prefers gaminf at 4k, then a VEGA64, gtx 1080 or ideally 1080ti/2080 or even better 2080ti but he does not play demanding games so no need there.

if its 1080p then rx580 or 590 or even better vega54.

This not to say 4k is not better gaming experience, it is and has better image quality, but playing 1080p is not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys
From what little i understand so far is that yes i would love to run games at native 4k but not sure a Vega 64 would be good enough and that to be honest would be the maximum i would spend on a card.
Dropping to 1080p /1440p is obviously an option but that kinda made me think what is the point of a Vega 64.
My mind tells me to buy the 64 but just appreciate all your help as i am really lost.
Can you confirm the rest of my build would be good enough to support a 64? and from what i have read is the Sapphire is the one to buy.
thanks again :)

Soldato
if you are willing to tweak image quality setting on some games then vega64 is fine but if you want to max all settings nothing less than 2080/1080ti or even better 2080ti.

your cpu is fine for most games, plus i am sure you could get 500mhz-600mhz more out that chip if its sitting at 4.00ghz.

Associate
OP
if you are willing to tweak image quality setting on some games then vega64 is fine but if you want to max all settings nothing less than 2080/1080ti or even better 2080ti.

your cpu is fine for most games, plus i am sure you could get 500mhz-600mhz more out that chip if its sitting at 4.00ghz.

Yes the CPU easily reaches 4.6Ghz The high end Nvidias are 1 out of my price bracket 2 wouldn't support freesync.
Do some people ignore freesync and just go for nvidia for higher frame rates?

Soldato
if you have freesync then definitely get amd card. There is new Vega 7 card being released by AMD but it will be out your price bracket. Personally, if you are someone that rarely upgrades might be worth saving up more and buying something faster if you game at 4k and want max image quality and frames. Thats just me, but gaming at 4k eventually you will have to adjust image quality to compromise with playable frame rates. Its different for different people. Some can play at 30fps and some at only 60fps and some need 100+

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the replies guys
From what little i understand so far is that yes i would love to run games at native 4k but not sure a Vega 64 would be good enough and that to be honest would be the maximum i would spend on a card.
Dropping to 1080p /1440p is obviously an option but that kinda made me think what is the point of a Vega 64.
My mind tells me to buy the 64 but just appreciate all your help as i am really lost.
Can you confirm the rest of my build would be good enough to support a 64? and from what i have read is the Sapphire is the one to buy.
thanks again :)

I have a Vega 64 and 4k monitor. It plays games pretty decent at 4k. Sure you may have to alter some settings which is game dependent but it does a really good job. With Freesync in slow paced games the need for express fps is not needed. I usually have my games running at around locked 60 with a mix of settings. Nothing i have played has looked bad at all as i usually have a mix of high and Ultra settings and no aa. The only game so far that i needed to use some medium settings in was Assassins Creed Oddysey but that game is a real performance hog. Forza Horizon 4 runs locked 60 at Ultra preset, Sea of thieves runs between 50 and 60fps at max. Vega can handle a good amount of games at 4k. I am sure it will be able to run the new Resident Evil at the High or Ultra preset if Resident Evil 7 is anything to go by.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have noticed very little to non running out of spec when its 4k to 1080p, plus its tv dependant on the scaling and its all a perfect pixel to pixel translation. degradation would be minimal compared to something like an odd resolution which can cause distorted image.

hence why i asked him, i assumed he has tried it and know. If he prefers gaminf at 4k, then a VEGA64, gtx 1080 or ideally 1080ti/2080 or even better 2080ti but he does not play demanding games so no need there.

if its 1080p then rx580 or 590 or even better vega54.

This not to say 4k is not better gaming experience, it is and has better image quality, but playing 1080p is not the end of the world.

Yeah you're right, I don't mind 1080p gaming personally and think I'll always opt for higher frames with a lower res than the other way around, It's part of why I never bought a 4k monitor when I did my last monitor upgrade, I was thinking back to ages ago, when my gpu died & I tried gaming with my Haswell onboard graphics on a 1080p monitor, I had to drop everything to do it & in certain games I still needed higher frame rates so I also lowered the res and when I did that it looked terrible. Before that I ran a 1600x900 monitor which looked a lot better than it did when reducing to 720p on the 1080p monitor. But like you're saying the starting point probably matters.

Soldato
Yes the CPU easily reaches 4.6Ghz The high end Nvidias are 1 out of my price bracket 2 wouldn't support freesync.
Do some people ignore freesync and just go for nvidia for higher frame rates?

A few days ago Nvidia said they are going to start supporting freesync.

If you prefer Nvidia might be worth waiting for someone to test the nvidia card with the samsung tv.

Back
Top Bottom