The last game you completed, and rating.

Associate
Medal of Honor (Afghanistan setting) - 6/10

A solid 6. On rails shooter along the lines of COD. Firefights felt intense at times but it's very much a glorified shooting gallery. It was £1.99 on Origin. Fair price and I did it in about a 5 hour sitting.

Soldato
Dragon Quest XI - 10/10.
Best game of 2018 for me and best dragon quest game to date, on par or just outdoing DQ8.

Real gem of this year and probably not seen or played by many. Story wise is just an amazing experience. Put over 50-60hrs in without the post game content. Now working towards 100% achievements which will likely take me another 30-40hrs or so to finish off with the post game.

Last edited:
Soldato
XCOM 2 War of the Chosen - 9.6/10

Somehow improved on the already excellent base game and surely one of the best expansions I've seen in any game. Loads of new stuff, characters, classes, weapons, enemies, everything.

Harder too, I nearly rage quit on one map when my 6-man squad came up against 52 enemies. 52 FFS! But all worth it in the end. An epic campaign that last around 100 hours. Hugely immersive.

Man of Honour
This weekend and today I’ve completed:

Wolfenstein: Old Blood 8/10
Wolfenstein: New Order 7/10
Wolfenstein II: New Colossus 8.5/10

Fantastic games. Loved every minute of all of them. Such brilliant story telling through the cutscenes and really good fun action in game. Made me really want to play more FPS games again after falling out of love with genre for a while.

Really got emotionally attached to some of the characters and took great satisfaction in the endings

Gutted there isn’t another to play.

Caporegime
Quake 2 + XP mod (with a few other smaller add-ons).

I'm nowhere near as keen on the second game in the series but it's still one that I have some fond memories for, though it has to be said that I'm glad I've finally finished it. I haven't tried the XP mod before so that was the main incentive for playing it again. What the mod creator managed to pull off, bearing in mind the age of the engine/game, amazes me and I can't think of too many examples where this much of a radical difference is evident in other mods.

Soldato
Darksiders 3! What a game! The most fun I've had for a long time! There really aren't enough games like this around for me. Here's hoping for one more Darksiders game with the final horseman Strife. A few initial niggles sorted out with the most recent patch. Great story, lore, characters, combat and level design. 10/10

It's been pretty slated by a lot of reviewers, would you say it's up there with the first one and second one?

Soldato
Shadow of the tomb raider

It's tomb raider in its modern form. Enjoyable but nothing to set it apart from the previous two iterations.

I had a massive break part way through as I was tomb raidered out and there wasnt enough interest in it for me to push through.

Predictable story. Voice acting very good as usual though. Environments are nice. No real wow moments though.

Its enjoyable but nothing to write home about. I personally enjoyed rise of the tomb raider more.

7/10

Soldato
This coming from someone who played TW1 and TW2.

The Witcher 3 ( Death March ) 90 hours, base game completed

Gameplay:
Exploration: Simply the world is too big and cluttered, theres no sense of surprise or exploration. Just following ? on a mini map, or disabling it and being unable to easily distinguish NPC number 39839 to from NPC 0984 who has a quest. Not being able to climb unlike BOTW is a huge hindrance and makes exploring the world a chore. The horse riding is not enjoyable or smooth.

Combat: Its so-so. Nice variation and options but ultimately the enemies are too dumb, and just being able to quen + sword + quen + whirl + igni is boring. The adrenaline system is interesting but they should have concentrated on perfecting the swordsplay of Witcher 3 first, making all weapons such as bombs and cross bows more relavant, making bosses stronger.. and they simply didn't. Games such as Dark Souls have maybe set the bar too high. Also giving us Bestiary entries AFTER defeating animals is all a bit redundant. I would rather the enemies be more difficult and complex but with more detailed hints in the Bestiary about weaknesses etc.

Ciri segments: I found these boring. They should have let us control Yennefer or Triss and explored some magic-related places instead of some of these Ciri segments.

Alchemy: Very poor, not encouraging exploration, too easy. I prefer having to repeatedly craft things, it makes you care for ingredients and items more.

Scripting: Scripted events make exploring not worth it. You need to find the write sequence of events to start a quest or fight a monster which sucks compared to just finding it out in the wild by loving the Witcher 3's world.

Story:
Pacing: is so-so. For a 90 hour game, I would have expected more. I wanted to see more of the sorcerers, more of the Societal who just weren't there, more of Radovid rather than snippets. Instead we lived Geralt's journey, and I get it; thats what the game is but I wish they took his journey to a few more interesting places.
Also I felt the third act was just plain underwhelming after you beat the first boss guy. The Battle at Kaer Morhan or whatever its called had an AWESOME build up, only let down by the combat being crap.

Sidequests: best-in-class

Plot: Excellent

Characters: Excellent cast but I can't help but feel disconnected from Dandelion et al. The Dwarf guy was quite endearing but we needed more conversation options, more ways in which they could maybe accompany us on quests outside of the 1-3 character dedicated scripted ones and make them more interact-able. The main villain and lore behind them was not good at all. We could have done with a prologue section of flashbacks from when Geralt was held captive by the Hunt to help piece everything together and make us hate them more.

Endings: Could have been a bit more emotional but they were awesome.

Sound:
10/10

Graphics:
9/10: due to poorly animated trees, poor character models in cut scenes outside of Geralt and the opening/ending scenes

Overall I give it a 9/10 as its side quests, stories and huge amount of content help paper over the overly simplified gameplay in a world which is way too big. I don't agree with this whole put in 10,000 NPCs and only make 100 of them useful. At least in games like Skyrim, you can still talk to quite a few of them. One of the best stories, and the best side quest design' with huge variation and an awesome adventure make this game a classic but I don't think its a 10/10 like people seem to rate it as.

I think BOTW is comfortably above it for example in level of immersion, gameplay, world design, intractability, survival mechanics, etc. In BOTW, I WANT TO explore, I WANT to find things and blow up that random boulder to see whats hidden away. In TW3, I want to follow my mini map or follow my quest directions.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Dragon Quest XI - 10/10.
Best game of 2018 for me and best dragon quest game to date, on par or just outdoing DQ8.

Real gem of this year and probably not seen or played by many. Story wise is just an amazing experience. Put over 50-60hrs in without the post game content. Now working towards 100% achievements which will likely take me another 30-40hrs or so to finish off with the post game.
Is this like final fantasy?

Soldato
It's been pretty slated by a lot of reviewers, would you say it's up there with the first one and second one?
Absolutely. Ignore the reviews - all they do is plant seeds and ruin gaming experiences! I loved every single minute of Darksiders 3 and felt lost for a good few days after completing it as I couldn't think of any other game to give me a comparable experience. If you liked the first 2 you won't be disappointed.

Soldato
Just Cause 4

Just finished it, the main story is pretty short and poor, the rest of the game is 3-4 missions repeated over, and over, and over, and over again.

Barely bothered with the upgrades, used just a couple of basic machine guns/smg and it really wasn't an issue at all.

I've not touched all the extra little side bits for each village such as the wingsuit challenges, I'm not a 100%, I'm more storyline.

4/10

Back
Top Bottom