Airfix

Soldato
Very nice Swift! I love working with oil paints. I have just got 4 W&N colours: black, white, brown, burnt sienna. They seem to be enough for me and I mix different shades, typically for oil stains and streaks. Here's my F-16 Aggressor post weathering (top half only thus far)

1nCMB_BiWECRG0pcZRqEtiZB29RlZtO_IVgw77nwhTtupGgru7X-1tEH_m-ZuNFN3ORDM-HwKcUJ2qV_cvFsKg8nltzEewO37A2QWQ4WimMxr83Ywf3LIX30EanSx7A6jCZmUatEMkSCAhWVGnLs8m3hniu-G3c6er2vEs15bMi32sEYpYS64sFyITNghbDFaSed8OEKm6guT7ksc-KltdeCnMmxIvEqP3ubxksRdkgUfNowH3ie_lWDr4lwQdGBy1KrPpQF5oigwvzlIncPMZ7f5WxR7avO_VwoaO_CrFo6JhI1G1UOt6odPzAB7vJ8-bpVYsYqOoD_wk3PiUjBtDImns9ZzP-a6UH5ySEnumdRg3AdG23mnFJ6hQi8lW9gX5UZnAATwwredH-j4cp_y3LIqQgIb6pgI5VtjM46NVkRaOeZXrkHKiX-SeesWp_4tuxiCL6k3pGKLOvJeBDrO_5M9qChCqvz16gzZ6x4VUzOLpAt9atYyeoM7bvnDpT-6Tv1z3FKLrhw8Lo4h19PQKLGbELNATD1hM3McF1LZl8E2X6TCkBOQL8O83bV6Ikajejg644utX-ojFaoCrJX04qyuDJ5kLXdDVZybn9qErTS60W9sgmUGllmXNnVqG7jTCGxbpsweSCfG0_XJkkf_cYbAaRBuT0BxnNT0WXyVO3xlOOm8Ksj4Bq0EF8HVU7HkYkW_qSB9CZu3SeRbUQrlt2hSd0d7WuNzVTkb3A=w1251-h938-no

e4vl_6QBMghCJ4GREcv9Ue8DSlDYT0JQu4LZCVo-dTuMy-6FClz3YoeBY9FwH3IIkJBIHiO7zpFFyXlounU_evom0wwuc5G0u9lGCRLumeQsSY1EJK6FVBUmBz5ndxN_CzgC8oEHhTd_RzGb2ibDXbJPodz65HbQ4i--mT3w6aXfagL6e73XSWAnfizekEl9z8pQJSE_JKIxvghzKBmYVQwXewLpj6qRHeb91ixxm6zXG5G4nLS-QvSRmX1YxAywwijYXCqeLPYAI8i_-iQgesPgatyBlJPAnS2xd22x2mNtRYwmd61jsyVvwbKiYh8BV_xEXzNZsddW7HqiX1G0OMgrhrzXIerEirLuS_PaDIjlS8LBkm2XqY5rUCWVSLsjCKyusYg6MHA7gDXH4MuwU8HGleoKqB8nj43y-IpnfxqxcnxKX3A46C-QTZ7HnOkNGR_lLUjPlqYEn7hIwKyHm90EtjZXGYzmuhGAf-EtFsCbZEiMim86wsnib4ixa0ale_a9B7qugJbHHelWH-kkzGQEMzzQhq6WxcZuwTF17FhmBMXL-ufJCjqAA3ubWls8lIaSwjf06xgqsagrKZ8CWlXF-Y4KDrYAKZR3hy3fNVmPAkh4DeCZg1bTdOguVVJBAF5ym1gRJ386vThfuBv8zYaUDuWZljUtvD_-IeG2C5hlqT3cnU-rO-8rlVUsd4dHc21i78Cz9LiyrIE12sgRff8okGXVD9CH9bjZY4M=w1251-h938-no

I find it very easy to get carried away, so I think I'll probably remove much of that dirt as I think I've over done it.

Soldato
superb work Amraam, don't built a F-16 yet let alone something in an aggressor scheme.

That F-16 looks superb! How do you position the control surfaces like that, is the kit designed to do that, or do you have to cut them out and glue them back into position?

Thanks, guys, that means a lot to hear :)

The trailing edge flaps have the option to be up or down, but most of the time on the ground, they are down. If I were brave, I would have cut out the leading edge flaps and postioned them to the correct +2 degrees, but it would be hard to notice that by eye so I don't bother. If I ever have the guts to cough up and buy the 1/32 F-16 I'll have a go at the LE flaps.

Here's a couple of other images if you're interested :)

QmN4my_HkeC7knqK10_SUoxOHOZLtbfXb2-i3HU-du9tMhbUmy4PwNNPVxY2ki-486dgQQObK0iusi2bJ-pfvmrTT3BYvGA54LcczjU1FPaI1zBUC2I9NCrA8VHQIihMWhCZ_IfRze6YcbXIFUlicFdQqzL4yNmjJLAupo1duOKyICpiJd1SgyYQyzajY2gnM1zwBqVooRMsnMoi-wTlpfiJ4XBgRbucVWJquKxnqfOgI0cwfbeZtW3I2o9-lQMk7gZMBQjc7KT4SzS_Rd4CCOB2PplMTTt0JDa5jsrgfkjY0y-xQ-OeTXc8gWoDxNv3rUsq9acg-rVkE8XFPHwOxryUKwPY4UxJ54LqZ4PRJxpWrBSI82e5Gpl2VKx_tcA6f8c6H_gbwaxx1kPlDI34W3P6hIamWN0W5mQ4AfIUAhYpm3iApbv0JVhG5PSibMxLYSzZ6WCqaQSP7MOtHfiXY7RKNsp45MoPNtalxVN6ej3pXI39kZC3-1FbHhSZ4roBzxF8RUnh21jEEd3xUIGdbmdOYvKS7tVGDQdTnhH61_lrx6oRvjeLZz8JjgFpzwO_u-JwW06rgYH89dtazmMpZ1Z1LII73_ul4j3X4tRI0xNbMvly_ycgud4viuVCGlCUcMVOPVM-YNIZzM0k7gVFygZ85W6KWDaKO5RiFBheDoPgBQ=w1718-h1288-no

-NNkwKQEPSyaCg_KYnYT8dm8fN8AY3Z9L1Ar87nbJ8E69wjQZLmZ14Y3LwX4VQ_KSqd17G4SuY_GlLh86C9tj0_dBxc1NVOkNCBDSIEol7R9RmGndsGiaUUVxaMgRHJuN-0elOk_XZr88t0kGLFjTRRkYNu6THB-dsEqvov_rZG8HDSY8CnAIsc7AhjT4GTc4si1-3i_dm7AwgEGTbubtZtVEJ-OQfuv4eif-WysM1ziYUSwykJ7w6Zs3qWoaXS0MRU2QXztyAaPExSaCgBsF1vBVLpoNjK4NI2DVmFGKi-bPjlf-YjJABibKAjz7u60UeZfpVjtrrLhuh3QNLwLmkboyoyou3VZX4j79kBAG6oTfqRFZTfFzfVYyIOH3yUI2iSmo1VY2wdhlS5Aftgc_b_SCgbtbV9fnLQjGqjH88rXWWwVsuil3fSbUmDSMcHMlkSHmTIKnm5sSbMF7YT1x66fClDgLoAcaeQeU2RjtVvVNK_2h0yHuitqn33lV1DZ7nVru-ESAJgSy3c1iEALXYjco6k0qjskuGhSth1YePaH-x5X0r5YUjdD98BHF-xe26ZOvICfEGMdPhsVswjDVobJFRCXfiV__N7MPSymtvk6MdD4i0bx-SxKFUKMBiUkTmbcph5TH43sYUXfL3AYPpXgsgOzP-PHEIjvWVPL4RhHPcvHG6rVnTe9J5YDADOqoOKKBdElj3xoQgnBh3njju_qkJmEr_FIa_-ujQ=w1718-h1288-no

Soldato
I think this is probably a good place to ask this - can anyone recommend a good airbrush (& compressor) for quite simple work? I want to paint some model kits and 3d printed parts. The model kits will be cars so it will be largely single colours, and I won't use it a tremendous amount so I'm really after something as cheap as is feasible that a beginner wouldn't struggle too much with.

I see there are well-reviewed airbrushes around the £25-30 mark on Amazon, presumably clones - are any of these worthwhile or are they to be avoided?

Going a bit higher, the Iwata Neo seems recommended, is this more suitable than the cheapy ones?

Happy enough to buy from China if it makes a good difference to price but I think my other half might want to get me one for Christmas so maybe UK might be better so it definitely gets here on time.

Is it best to buy a kit, or separately? I guess the kits come with appropriate fittings etc so could be easier?

Can anyone help me out?

Cheers :)

p.s I have searched this thread and gone through quite a few replies but there's so many and the thread's been around a long time so hoping for an up-to-date answer :)

Soldato
I have two kits that I'm selling on. Both complete and I'd like then to go to someone who could do them justice. If you're interested, send me a trust.
A50015 Airfix "RAF Battle of Britain A airfield set", 1:76 scale. Complete and posts still in bags. Fighter, vehicles, personnel and diorama base.
A07002 Airfix "Short Stirling B.Mk.I/B.Mk.III", 1:72 scale. Complete, includes the paints, Humbrol poly cement and Humbrol precision cement.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thought I’d post guys to make people aware that the tabletop games forum has now been expanded into wargaming and scale modelling. Mainly as many of the techniques crossover into each other.

This will allow people to get advice, post their projects and maybe build diaries in separate threads as this one thread is getting very long and is lost in the pantheon of GD.

Caporegime
Anybody know of a model kit for the wreck of the Titanic?

I’ve Googled extensively but drawn a blank, another complication is I want it to sit at the bottom of my fish tank in my living room - which has numerous Titanic pictures on the walls along with a bookcase that’s mainly full of Titanic books so if I was to find and build such a model I’d have to use “fish friendly” glue and paints...

Ultimately I think I’ll have to attempt to scratch build one from a regular model of the ship but doubt I have the ability to do so tbh....

Something resembling this is my ideal....
RtCeknb.jpg

Caporegime
Anybody know of a model kit for the wreck of the Titanic?

I’ve Googled extensively but drawn a blank, another complication is I want it to sit at the bottom of my fish tank in my living room - which has numerous Titanic pictures on the walls along with a bookcase that’s mainly full of Titanic books so if I was to find and build such a model I’d have to use “fish friendly” glue and paints...

Ultimately I think I’ll have to attempt to scratch build one from a regular model of the ship but doubt I have the ability to do so tbh....

Something resembling this is my ideal....
RtCeknb.jpg
Please make a thread in the scale modelling forum.

We now have a dedicated forum for this subject.

@Werewolf Maybe this thread should be locked with a post notifying people of the new forum?

Soldato
1/35 Dragon Panzer IV Ausf D

The Panzerkampfwagen IV (PzKpfw IV), commonly known as the Panzer IV, was a German medium tank developed in the late 1930s and used extensively during the Second World War. Its ordnance inventory designation was Sd.Kfz. 161.

The Panzer IV was the most widely manufactured German tank and the second-most widely manufactured German armored fighting vehicle of the Second World War, with some 8,500 built. The Panzer IV chassis was used as the base for many other fighting vehicles, including the Sturmgeschütz IV assault gun, Jagdpanzer IV tank destroyer, the Wirbelwind self-propelled anti-aircraft gun, and the Brummbär self-propelled gun.

The Panzer IV saw service in all combat theaters involving Germany and was the only German tank to remain in continuous production throughout the war. It received various upgrades and design modifications, intended to counter new threats, extending its service life. Generally, these involved increasing the Panzer IV's armor protection or upgrading its weapons, although during the last months of the war, with Germany's pressing need for rapid replacement of losses, design changes also included simplifications to speed up the manufacturing process.

Source: wikipedia

• Kit Manufacture: Dragon
  • Kit Number: 6330
  • Scale : 1/35
  • Type: Panzerkampfwagen IV (PzKpfw IV)
  • Extras: OOB
  • Paints: Badger black primer, Tamiya XF-60, XF-67 and XF-68.
  • Weathering: Tri-tonal fileter, Abteilung 502 starship filth as pin wash, oil dot filter and flory earth pigments.

dwXLrcM.jpg

BeV5d6m.jpg

0rsGRDD.jpg

rVwjPr9.jpg

BD6wxeK.jpg

NsQ2Cub.jpg

S5ILPMD.jpg

tY9oIYw.jpg

Aw5cZLg.jpg

cpCPcf6.jpg

tWHxqsR.jpg

ujhm0cf.jpg

T4yx3mk.jpg

XTRgHdS.jpg

3Ijt2D8.jpg

H8KO5yq.jpg

Caporegime
Excellent work as always PH.

Just so you know, in this forum, you can post your builds in separate threads rather than just keep adding to this already very long and old one, otherwise there would have been no point in making the forum.

Associate
I’ve been looking at starting to make model car kits for a while now and decided to go for F1 cars and a few rally cars i like, going to build them all for my sons room. A few airfix kits I’ve seen come with glue, paints at the top of the packaging but some of the Tamiya kits I fancy say
“This plastic car kit requires paint and glue to complete”
Could anyone recommend a starter kit to look into or do you have to search for separate paints for each kit depending on the model, ie a certain red paint colour for the f1 Ferrari’s?
Any help would be appreciated

Caporegime
I’ve been looking at starting to make model car kits for a while now and decided to go for F1 cars and a few rally cars i like, going to build them all for my sons room. A few airfix kits I’ve seen come with glue, paints at the top of the packaging but some of the Tamiya kits I fancy say
“This plastic car kit requires paint and glue to complete”
Could anyone recommend a starter kit to look into or do you have to search for separate paints for each kit depending on the model, ie a certain red paint colour for the f1 Ferrari’s?
Any help would be appreciated
Tamiya don’t do the all in one kits that Airfix and Revell do. What I tend to do is to look on www.scalemates.com for the kit I’m interested in. A lot of the newer ones have PDF’s of the instructions so you can read the paint call outs. Then you will know which ones to get. Tamiya paints are cheap and good quality, although I myself prefer Vallejo’s model air for airbrushing. Tamiya’s Liquid cement is a great adhesive, although if you are doing cars, you should pick up a bottle of mikro Krystal Klear as well for the clear parts. It goes on like white glue, but dries completely invisible.

Tamiya TS-8 spray paint is called Italian Red and is a perfect match for Ferrari red.

Associate
thank you I've had a look on the website and seen a few, can you buy from the site or is it just like a price comparison? I found one of the cars and downloaded the pdf and seen the paints that I needed thanks. I've got a couple air fix ones on there way and ill get some with paints included to see how I get on then go more advanced like airbrushing etc. The Ferrari I'm looking at might be a bit challenging too start with. ill pick up the mikro crystal as well thanks for the tip. for the scale sizes I take it the smaller the scale the bigger it is? so the scale 1/20 is bigger than the scale 1/32.

Caporegime
thank you I've had a look on the website and seen a few, can you buy from the site or is it just like a price comparison? I found one of the cars and downloaded the pdf and seen the paints that I needed thanks. I've got a couple air fix ones on there way and ill get some with paints included to see how I get on then go more advanced like airbrushing etc. The Ferrari I'm looking at might be a bit challenging too start with. ill pick up the mikro crystal as well thanks for the tip. for the scale sizes I take it the smaller the scale the bigger it is? so the scale 1/20 is bigger than the scale 1/32.
Sorry, only just noticed this. Scalemates just lets you know what outlets have it in stock and offer direct links to the product page.

Yes, smaller the scale, bigger it is. Personally, my favourite scale for cars is 1/24. Not lo fiddly to put together and not too big as to be a nuisance to display. The price is good as well. Normally between £25-30

Back
Top Bottom