• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
got an Asus Strix that is running around 1630hz and 67c full load with an undervolt and OC, not bad at all.

But man the coil whine is annoying, Its not just high FPS its any time the GPU util is high.

Getting a new PCIE cable tomorrow as at the moment im running the card from one cable with 2x 8 pins on it, Will try tomorrow with 2 cables with 8 pins each, ive seen reports that it can help.

See, this is the performance/ temps i was getting with previous drivers (i could well live with the noise compared to now). I was incredibly pleased with my purchase! With the newer drivers, old strategy games with little requirements now have my fans running like a jet engine- never mind the gpu intensive games :(

Soldato
I spent the majority of the day running benchmarks (fire strike, which seems to bug out with me on steam) Your original settings actually came out best! But the clock never varied much 1330mhz ish and neither did the score.
I tried the suggested cutting/ putting up power,various Pstates, aggressive fan control etc nothing was giving me the performance as before.
****** off, i tried a game (where it matters) the clocks went up to 1554 (iirc) but the fan curve was crazy/not working as before.
Can you alter wattman on the fly? (As in while game is running) I get the feeling either its not updating the changes or wattman is screwed.

For reference before installing the new driver (19.1.1) I followed the instructions and used DDU, but this update seems really bad (for me) as did the last one (18.12.2). The old fan min/max worked really well for me, i didn't have to change anything(moved max 75c- target 45c and got good performance undervolt with decent temps and low fan noise), now games run 10c hotter and my freq isn't hitting near as before.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge and questions, you all seem to know what your doing here and are enthusiastic with helping out ;)

Is your card bought new or used? What are your temps? 1330 is very low clocks for any settings, especially the nitro.
Whats the speed running on "Balanced" mode, and what are the temps? Can you turn the bios switch to the other setting? Have you tried to run the card with the side panel of your case open?

Associate
Hey Folks, I'm thinking of grabbing one of these now they're cheaper but, with the undervolting/overclocking in mind, which is the best model to get?
Thanks

Associate
Red Devil or Nitro.
Right. Not the Gigabyte then? I noticed that one has been cheaper for while now and there's been plenty on clearance also. Shame because i like the look of that and the Asus one lol.. What's the complaint regards these two?

Soldato
Right. Not the Gigabyte then? I noticed that one has been cheaper for while now and there's been plenty on clearance also. Shame because i like the look of that and the Asus one lol.. What's the complaint regards these two?

Avoid, buy the Sapphire if you can afford it.

The Strix had (possibly fixed now in some batches) issues where the VRMs wouldn't make proper contact with the heatsink causing issues, and the Gigabyte cooler is just an afterthought slapped on.

Associate
Afternoon guys...I've spent a lot of time reading these forums (and this thread in particular) so I figured that if I was going to get help anywhere this would be it.

I have a Saphhire Vega 64 Nitro+....I have had it for a few months and I can not get a stable undervolt...at all....even taking off just 20mv from p7 creates instability

• I can run the memory at 1050mhz and higher no issues
  • The floor voltage I can take as low as 980mv, but even leaving that alone at the stock 1100mv or changing it to any value in between doesnt change the outcome
  • I can do some level of undervolt if I start to drop the clock on p7 but even this can prove unstable (1612mhz @ 1125mv)
  • The card is running on 2 seperate 8pin power cables on a 750watt Cougar PSU
  • I have tried both bios modes on the card.
  • Ive taken it slow going in 10mv steps
  • I have suitable airflow and cooling in the case as the temps never go above 70oc on the card (i have been using hwmon to monitor both gpu die and hbm temps)

My methoud is usually to load up a game in windowed mode and gradually take it down bit by bit till i get a crash playing for around 15-20min during each step to test stability.

Rest of the system is

Ryzen 2700x (no overclock or undervolt)
16gb Trident z 3600 @ 3466 fast timinngs using ryzen dram calculator

I am pretty sure everything else is stable as I have used the Intel burn test and it passes no issues

If anyone has any input I'd be greatful, I suspect its just a major loss on the silicon lottery for this one though.

Soldato
Is your card bought new or used? What are your temps? 1330 is very low clocks for any settings, especially the nitro.
Whats the speed running on "Balanced" mode, and what are the temps? Can you turn the bios switch to the other setting? Have you tried to run the card with the side panel of your case open?
Has he set the P7 frequency higher than 1600mhz? If not, its doubtful no matter what he does, that the card will go any higher. He can try these settings, they work fine for me, but your mileage may vary:

P6 - 1100mv
P7 - 1100mv
P7 frequency - 1607mhz (or thereabouts)
fan set to auto (default)

Leave the memory alone for the time being so as to remove that as a variable.

Download "tomb raider dox demo" and run at these settings. You can check speeds, temps, loads, etc in GPU-Z by "alt-tab" out of the game and it still runs in the back apparently so the gpu is loaded up all the time. This means also you can make adjustments in wattman on the fly. Apparently thiss is a far better method to check for stability as its a real game engine (Unreal)( not a synthetic benchie) so it'll give a far more realistic game type load to the gpu.

If your card is the same as mine, you'll be running consistently at around 1550mhz at around 250w power draw. The fan will probably spin up to about 2000ish rpm.

If all is good and stable, bump the memory up to 1100mhz and set voltage to 1100mv and retest for stability again using the Dox demo.

Try that lot and post back the results.:)

Soldato
Has he set the P7 frequency higher than 1600mhz? If not, its doubtful no matter what he does, that the card will go any higher. He can try these settings, they work fine for me, but your mileage may vary:

P6 - 1100mv
P7 - 1100mv

Download "tomb raider dox demo" and run at these settings. You can check speeds, temps, loads, etc in GPU-Z by "alt-tab" out of the game and it still runs in the back apparently so the gpu is loaded up all the time. This means also you can make adjustments in wattman on the fly. Apparently thiss is a far better method to check for stability as its a real game engine (Unreal)( not a synthetic benchie) so it'll give a far more realistic game type load to the gpu.

If your card is the same as mine, you'll be running consistently at around 1550mhz at around 250w power draw. The fan will probably spin up to about 2000ish rpm.

If all is good and stable, bump the memory up to 1100mhz and set voltage to 1100mv and retest for stability again using the Dox demo.

Maybe you replied to wrong person? :D

Soldato
Afternoon guys...I've spent a lot of time reading these forums (and this thread in particular) so I figured that if I was going to get help anywhere this would be it.

I have a Saphhire Vega 64 Nitro+....I have had it for a few months and I can not get a stable undervolt...at all....even taking off just 20mv from p7 creates instability

• I can run the memory at 1050mhz and higher no issues
  • The floor voltage I can take as low as 980mv, but even leaving that alone at the stock 1100mv or changing it to any value in between doesnt change the outcome
  • I can do some level of undervolt if I start to drop the clock on p7 but even this can prove unstable (1612mhz @ 1125mv)
  • The card is running on 2 seperate 8pin power cables on a 750watt Cougar PSU
  • I have tried both bios modes on the card.
  • Ive taken it slow going in 10mv steps
  • I have suitable airflow and cooling in the case as the temps never go above 70oc on the card (i have been using hwmon to monitor both gpu die and hbm temps)

My methoud is usually to load up a game in windowed mode and gradually take it down bit by bit till i get a crash playing for around 15-20min during each step to test stability.

Rest of the system is

Ryzen 2700x (no overclock or undervolt)
16gb Trident z 3600 @ 3466 fast timinngs using ryzen dram calculator

I am pretty sure everything else is stable as I have used the Intel burn test and it passes no issues

If anyone has any input I'd be greatful, I suspect its just a major loss on the silicon lottery for this one though.

How's the card running on Balanced & Turbo modes? Need to know temps, and stable core clocks pls.

Associate
How's the card running on Balanced & Turbo modes? Need to know temps, and stable core clocks pls.

Thanks for the help.

The card runs absolutely fine from everything Ive seen on bothe Balanced and turbo.

Temps
55 - 65 on average both balanced and turbo

Clocks on balanced seem to peak around 1520ish

Clocks on Turbo seem to peak around 1550ish

Let me know if you need more details.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the help.

The card runs absolutely fine from everything Ive seen on bothe Balanced and turbo.

Temps
55 - 65 on average both balanced and turbo

Clocks on balanced seem to peak around 1520ish

Clocks on Turbo seem to peak around 1550ish

Let me know if you need more details.

Select Balanced -> Apply -> Select Custom
Go to different states power and set P7 to 1100, P6 to 1090 and run some tests.

Associate
Used- but iv'e had it running well for months now. It's gigabyte gaming oc not nitro.
Running the benchmarks the temps were 60, when i stuck on a game the temps were 75c+ with serious fan noise. The same game before driver updates(tried both 18.12.2 and now 19.1.1) it stayed around 70c with comfortable fan noise.
The fan curves just don't seem to work for me either. A nice even curve still results in huge jumps/dips in rpm.

P6 - 1100mv
P7 - 1100mv

I'll try that tomorrow thanks! p7 was a 1632 as per the setup photo that was suggested. In an ideal world i'd like temps to stay around 70c with under 2000rpm, at least in my less demanding strategy games.

Associate
With p6&p7 1100 p7 freq 1632 (that's what dynamic puts it a by default) on Tomb Raider default settings
v38.png

Wattman was showing a high of: gpu 1473 73c 1940rpm

Soldato
With p6&p7 1100 p7 freq 1632 (that's what dynamic puts it a by default) on Tomb Raider default settings
v38.png

Wattman was showing a high of: gpu 1473 73c 1940rpm

You initially said Nitro.

Gigabyte has the worse cooler of them all, even the reference unfortunately. That's why settings working for other V64s are not working for yours.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey, new to Vega and undervolting etc. Could some one help me with a pic/guide for stable settings?

Ive been on an older driver(18.10.2), as the new one had raised my running temps by 10c and fans were running crazy on idle. Now i'd like to try the new optional update.
I was using settings i found here and they were working great- but the new wattman setup has me lost.
Had the freq set to 1537-1632mhz, voltage at 1080-1090 memory at 1050mhz voltage 1000mv and 50% power. Temps weren't going over 75c.

Air cooled gigabyte gaming oc. (wish i'd found this thread before i bought it and i would have got a dif model).

Thanks in advance!
Sorry, i said gigabyte and wished i'd read here 1st and gone for another. Did not intend any confusion.
Regardless i'm looking for help getting the nice experience i had before the last 2 driver updates, and help with the new options since then. Originally i went with this and it worked. Now it doesn't, there are more p-states and a fan curve that i can't get to work :(
I'm pretty useless at this i know!

Soldato
Having a look at those figures, you're only getting a GPU power draw of 221w whereas with my Nitro versh at the same settings, I'm getting nearer 40-50w more power draw, but consistently higher clocks, around 1550mhz ish.
Heres what you can try to out. Give the P6 and & states 1150mv, that "should" allow the card to clock a bit higher, hopefully up to about 1470-1500 range I'd have thought.
Also why is your memory clock so low at 800mhz, I'd have thought it should be 945mhz?

Soldato
Sorry, i said gigabyte and wished i'd read here 1st and gone for another. Did not intend any confusion.
Regardless i'm looking for help getting the nice experience i had before the last 2 driver updates, and help with the new options since then. Originally i went with this and it worked. Now it doesn't, there are more p-states and a fan curve that i can't get to work :(
I'm pretty useless at this i know!

In your gpu-z screenshot you were running on balanced watt profile, as hbm only at 800mhz, in this mode you aten't hitting your p6-p7 states hence the low clocks and only 1.006vddc.

Back
Top Bottom