What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
I even came clean about the flakey 12v battery so went to ECP to get one this morning just so I know I’d have no come back if it let him down if not driven for a few days or whatever.

Will miss that light weight feel of small car and response of naturally aspirated petrol.

Soldato
Discovered some considerable play in my lower balljoint - that will be a new control arm then. Anyone recommend a good place to get Meyle stuff? Or at least a reliable eBay shop, as I cant see anything but eBay supplier wise.

Soldato
Transferred insurance and will mot it. Only £20 month and I’ll use occasionally and let dad use it.

Celebrate 10 year anniversary in March!

Awesome! Here's to the next 10.

Mine needs an MOT also, battery went funny and was away with work so time slipped away. Just need to change the front ARB links and get her MOT'd.

If I don't do it soon, I'll get keep wafting around in the X5 because it's lovely and the Insight will sit around for a long time (bad bad bad). Hopefully the lady will get her picked up on Friday.

Then there's the DC2 to de-cobwebify and sort out for spring. Sigh.

Soldato
Dodged the rain yesterday to clean both cars. Got absolutely soaked when the wind decided that the water from the pressure washer would be better placed on me than the roof of the car..

Got up this morning to damp roads and following one drive wondered why I bothered..

Soldato
Dodged the rain yesterday to clean both cars. Got absolutely soaked when the wind decided that the water from the pressure washer would be better placed on me than the roof of the car..

Got up this morning to damp roads and following one drive wondered why I bothered..

I washed, prewax cleaned etc my lexus and sealed it with a good sealant for the winter.. not going to wash it till road salt is gone. Pointless.

Associate
Well it failed its MOT yesterday due to a broken coil spring (5th I think I have had now over both cars in 6 years) and while they were prepping the car today they noticed something else is broken so that part is due in tomorrow now. Under warranty which is nice.

They tested the roof and that's worked fine ( I didn't try it again since it failed - wrong time of year to do that) and they have checked the motor for signs of damage but its fine. They are going to try the roof a few more times over the next couple of days they have it, I will just keep an eye on it for now).

As long as I have it for its trip to ETA on Monday I'm a happy bunny.

Associate
Picked it up. Total cost £300 so not too bad (Over £900 with out warranty + Mot cost) .

But I have just check the video they sent me and they mention a leak that maybe coming from the head gasket, so that's good. Didn't get told that when I picked it up as I would have left it with them. Looks like I might have ETA doing more work on it then I thought now.....

Have asked BMW to ring me back tomorrow so I can find out more about it.

Edit: Spoken to BMW today. Basically I don't need to worry about it and it will be checked next service. If its still there or worse then it will go under warranty. So I have just cancelled ETA as I cant go having 3rd party work and parts put on it until then. At least the warranty will cover me if my engine does decide to nom its self to bits.

So my plan now is to book it in for a oil change in a couple of months and get them to check it then and go from there. Hopefully have it all sorted, what ever it is by the summer.

I hate cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
Replaced the front disks and pads for the first time in my life so feeling reasonably pleased with myself.

One of the alloys was siezed on hard. Is it acceptable to put some copper grease on the mating surface between the disk and the wheel? Being careful to avoid the threads on the studs obviously.

The other issue that I had was the ford alloy wheel nuts have a cap on them for asthetic reasons. I suspect a garage has used an air wrench to take them off and (even worse) put them on again and it has twisted the caps out of shape. Luckily I had already purchased replacements as the old ones were rusting. So that was handy because I had to mangle a few.

MOT next week.

Associate
bbmrIFD
New front Pilot Sport 4s on the dirty BMW.

bbmrIFD.jpg
bbmrIFD

rzzaQKv.jpg
rzzaQKv

bbmrIFD

rzzaQKv

rzzaQKv

Soldato
Replaced the front disks and pads for the first time in my life so feeling reasonably pleased with myself.

One of the alloys was siezed on hard. Is it acceptable to put some copper grease on the mating surface between the disk and the wheel? Being careful to avoid the threads on the studs obviously.

Gratz, good feeling isnt it. Yes, you can copper grease the mating surface.

Associate
And I tried the roof tonight and its broken. First time I just got the red warning light so I restarted the car. Second time it sounded like the motor was doing 10000000rpm but the roof took 30s to move about 7". Got home and tried it once more again, this time I got a couple of squeaking noises and got bored waiting after it moved an inch in about 30s. So yeh guess I am ringing BMW tomorrow.

******* CARS!

Back
Top Bottom