Holidays 2019

Man of Honour
Canary Islands?

Don’t remind me, my wife’s brother, and his wife, leaned heavily on my wife to get her and I to do a week in Gran Canaria with them in February.
The nearer it gets, the more I regret giving in, and agreeing to go.
He and I are like chalk and cheese with our preferences, my idea of a relaxing holiday is to sit in the sun, around a pool, or shade if it’s too hot, have a chat, or read a book, maybe stroll around a nearby town etc., glass of wine here and there, not interested in the beach, I’m not a beach person, but if going in a beach bar is the consensus, I’ll go in one.
In the evening, for dinner, I want a decent restaurant, with steaks, lobster, grilled fish and a decent wine list, my brother-in-law however wants first and foremost a TV, preferably showing Premier League football, ideally a menu of burgers and chips, and beer at €1 a glass.
My wife is pulled every which way, she’d prefer a place with tablecloths and a good Merlot, as I do, but feels that she has to sometimes lean toward her brother, and cajole me to go into a greasy spoon, and jockey for a table near the TV.

Soldato
Going to Vancouver in July with my parents to visit my brother and celebrate my Dad's 70th birthday.

To be honest not really looking forward to it as it's going to be expensive and I have car and house repairs to do.

Soldato
can get a little wet and windy for sure but its amazing all year round ,just back from polly joke and crantock ,awesome day agreed about Warwickshire my daughter went to Warwick uni more coventry i suppose and there was some stunning places around there

edit oops meant to quote

Last edited:
Soldato
Where's the best/cheapest place for flights to Thailand? Fancy a week or ten days there maybe later on/back end of the year if I can afford it. Aside from that no holiday plans again this year.

Associate
We are looking into Barbados for a week or 2 at some point this year if the price is right, somewhere we’ve never been to before! What’s fruastrating is that why is a 2 year old considered full adult price! Amazes me! :rolleyes:

Soldato
rugby world cup in japan and a week spell in porto for a week for a stag do un june.

On a side note, does any one know of any sneaky gaps where you can say take 5 days off but not go to work for 2 weeks due to bank holidays etc

Soldato
Quiet year this year in terms of holidays.

Heading back to Prague for a few weeks (first time back after moving back to the UK 8 years ago) and also some time in Austria & Slovakia.

Soldato
We are looking into Barbados for a week or 2 at some point this year if the price is right, somewhere we’ve never been to before! What’s fruastrating is that why is a 2 year old considered full adult price! Amazes me! :rolleyes:

They are on the plane as they require a seat but not in a resort.

Soldato
Anyone ever booked last minute?

We plan for our honeymoon to just go to the travel agent a week before and see what they've got. Bit nervous about it now though

I know a couple of people that have done this. Used the money they received as wedding gifts, walked into the travel agent and went on a cracking honeymoon. The first couple did it 5 days before they flew and that was for 14 days in Florida. There will be loads of holidays available and everything will be sorted for you by the travel agent no problem. If you're like me and like to have things booked in advance I can appreciate it is daunting, however everyone that I know that has done it has had no issues and ended up with great holidays.

Soldato
Just thought I'd dig this up - wanting to take the Mrs away for her birthday as a surprise for a long weekend mid May. She wants to g to Prague so after some advise on decent hotels near the places to visit. It would only be a Fri-Mon job so likley consisting of touristy stuff. Any recommended places to stay or indeed stay away from? Recommended places to visit or tips for getting along there?

- GP

Edit: How do the flights usually work if I book through lastminute or similar? Says it has a Ryanair Economy included so I assume this you need to tie to a Ryanair account (for example) on the website so you can add baggage and select seats etc? Never really flown short haul etc. before. The Ryanair baggage bit had me confused a bit too, they do this 'Plus' option that seems to mean the 10Kg bag can be taken on the plane?

Last edited:
Soldato
May/June - Bali for 16 days.
July - Athens for a wedding then Spetses for 3-4 days after, this one is expensive for not much time away and the time of year :/
Aug - Paris
Sept - South of France.
Oct - Krakow for a Stag Do....

Not sure I have any leave left now....

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone have recommendations for good websites to find resort/package holidays? I really like TUI because you can put a date and select airports and it will show you anywhere in the world they go to. Too many others are restrictive and you have to be much more specific.

Trying to find somewhere to go this summer that is nice but isn't crazy expensive.

Soldato
Does anyone have recommendations for good websites to find resort/package holidays? I really like TUI because you can put a date and select airports and it will show you anywhere in the world they go to. Too many others are restrictive and you have to be much more specific.

Trying to find somewhere to go this summer that is nice but isn't crazy expensive.

Jet2 holidays, Thomas Cook, easyjet holidays, onthebeach, lastminute, booking.com.

Back
Top Bottom