Replacement heated windscreen issues.

Soldato
Anyone else had a heated windscreen replaced and had nothing but issues with it?

I have Autoglass coming out tomorrow to fit the 4th windscreen in 12 months to my car as the heating elements keep failing in the ones they are fitting, last one was fitted only 2 months ago.

Anyone else had the same problems?

Soldato
not heated per say but they did break the screen molding trim around on my lexus... and glued it back with double sided tape which as now popped off.

lovely.

Soldato
Yep. I had the same issue in my old Mondeo. The elements in the cracked original screen worked fine, but the replacement had 4 or 5 of them die within 2 months. If I wasn't planning to get rid of the car anyway I'd have got them back out again. It seems their supply of replacements is non-OE crap.

Soldato
OP
Yep. I had the same issue in my old Mondeo.

Also in a Mondeo, but an ST220 i intend to keep long term. Wonder how many screens they will fit before they put a Ford one in it, i refused the last one as it was the same as the first three.

Soldato
On my old focus only the elements on one side worked after a replacement. They also got the black glue on the A-pillar on one side, which I didn't notice at the time I signed off. I would have complained if the car wasn't written off shortly after :o

Soldato
They bent the mounts and broke a load of clips which hold the scuttle panel in place when I had one done. Didn't notice until ages after. :/

Next time I'm going to stand there watching them do it.

Caporegime
For balance, Autoglass replaced the heated screen on my partners old Focus at 2 years old, when she sold it 3 years later the heated screen still worked perfectly....

Soldato
Mines been fine since being replaced last year!

Wish I’d got my old st220 done as only the passenger side worked which was bloody annoying !

Associate
Mine's only been in a couple of months but so far so good. Also a Mondeo (MK4) but I made sure I had genuine Ford glass fitted and waited longer because of this.

Rob

Soldato
I had a screen done on my MK4 Mondeo back in June. I traded it in December but the heated screen part was working fine although somewhat annoyingly there was an inch or two in the middle of the screen that wasn’t covered with a heating element. I thought it was faulty until I looked closer and the L/R elements just don’t meet in the middle - can’t remember if the original glass was like that or not.

I’m pretty sure my replacement glass was Pilkington branded.

What wasn’t fine though is the amount of condensation on the inside of the windscreen on cold mornings. Clearly a bad deal somewhere.

Associate
My replacement heated windscreen had a few failed elements from day one but wasn't worth the hassle of swapping.
That was over 12 years ago. Every so often another one fails. At a guess I'd say 20% or so have now gone across the screen but it still does the job, just about, with the left side sometime cutting out completely. Poor / corroded connectiin somewhere I think.

Soldato
OP
My replacement heated windscreen had a few failed elements from day one but wasn't worth the hassle of swapping.

I'm picky, a single failed element is a warranty replacement claim imo. I have an ST220 specifically because I wanted one rather than it being a cheap old car so it's maintained to the same level as a brand new one.

Seems they have seen sense as although they couldn't fit it as the weather was too bad the guy had a look on his van for me and it's a dealer part they have supplied this time.

Associate
I had the heated screen of my Octavia replaced by Autoglass just under 2 years ago. Still seems as good as when it was fitted, I haven't noticed any elements not working.

Soldato
On my old focus only the elements on one side worked after a replacement. They also got the black glue on the A-pillar on one side, which I didn't notice at the time I signed off. I would have complained if the car wasn't written off shortly after :o

That's simply a fuse (there's one per side of the windscreen).

I ensure that when the M5 had a crack across it's screen, that it was replaced by BMW branded glass. They advised me that it wasn't any different, but they did respect my request and I paid no more for it other than my normal windscreen excess which was £50

Associate
Haven't had any problems with the screen itself when they eventually got the right one.

In the end they had to order a OE Ford one from Spain that took 3 weeks to arrive.

The stupid thing was I had only had the car 2 weeks when the screen cracked in total took them 8 weeks to sort out.

Soldato
I had issues years ago when my windscreen was replaced in my MK2 focus, only the passenger side worked afterwards.

I left it a year or more 'till i got it replaced again but only because i was selling it on.

Associate
The working on one side thing is usually the connection at the bottom coming off when they refit the plastic scuttle panel, typical crap Ford design and nothing to do with Autoglass. My Mondeo's screen never worked from new, dealer never was able to fix, ended up fixing it myself by soldering a bit of a longer wire on to the loom.

Soldato
OP
Well, here we are again & another failed screen. First time using it tins winter and there was a 3" band down the passenger side not working so they replaced it last week with another "Shatterprufe" screen and now it looks like a barcode, it's worse than the one they just took out!

Associate
Well, here we are again & another failed screen. First time using it tins winter and there was a 3" band down the passenger side not working so they replaced it last week with another "Shatterprufe" screen and now it looks like a barcode, it's worse than the one they just took out!

St220 here also (not to far down the road from you if i am correct (Warsop)), i ended up paying extra to get a ford one fitted independently (auto windscreens) cost about £400 from memory been fine although now has chip in it. Went through 3 aftermarket ones first mind.

Back
Top Bottom