Phanteks PH-F140MP PWN - Any good?

Soldato
Just ordered the Phanteks Evolv Flow Edition case and I'm in the market to replace the 3 140mm PH-F140SP fans that come preinstalled.

I've noticed OcUK are selling a bundle of PH-F140MP fans for £16.26, are these a steal for the price?

Permabanned
Corsair ML as a fantastic fan, and i feel right now second to none, but depending on the ones you get they carry a good price tag. my second choice would be the Phanteks

Soldato
OP
Corsair ML as a fantastic fan, and i feel right now second to none, but depending on the ones you get they carry a good price tag. my second choice would be the Phanteks

Considering the ML series fans however I only need 3 of them and will be left with a spare if I buy the dual packs.

I agree with you on the price tag.

Soldato
Just ordered the Phanteks Evolv Flow Edition case and I'm in the market to replace the 3 140mm PH-F140SP fans that come preinstalled.

I've noticed OcUK are selling a bundle of PH-F140MP fans for £16.26, are these a steal for the price?
First off I doubt the Evolv ATX Flow Edition has PH-F140SP fans. Phanteks changes their stock 140mm case fans fro PH-F140SP to a no model number fan that uses what is basically the PH-F140SP housing and motor (variable voltage) with a PH-F140MP impeller. In other words a 1200rpm fan that performs the same as PH-F140MP up to 1200rpm .. and as already said the PH-F140MP are good fans.

But if you haven't already checked out Phantkes' new Evolv X case, I suggest you look at it. Evolv X has more than 3 times as much front vent area and more than 5 times more top vent area than Evolv ATX, all kinds of new features including more/better radiator area, great cable management, etc. so to me it's a much nicer case then Evolv ATX Flow Edition which is just an Evolv ATX with differnet front and top .. plus Evolv X is a little less money, even much less if you got one of the **B grade** open box ones. Evolv X comes with 3x 140mm case fans .. and 3x front intake fans is all the fans the case needs for air cooling.;)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=evolv+x

Soldato
OP
Upon receiving the case and inspecting the fans these appear to be the PH-F140SP models. However these don't appear to have any anti-vibration pads or braided cables unlike the PH-F140SP models found on the Phanteks website?

Anyhow my daughter requires new fans for her build so I'll be gifting her this set and in the process I've ordered the PH-F140SP models found on the Phanteks website from OCUK... either way "we" needed new fans!

Soldato
Upon receiving the case and inspecting the fans these appear to be the PH-F140SP models. However these don't appear to have any anti-vibration pads or braided cables unlike the PH-F140SP models found on the Phanteks website?

Anyhow my daughter requires new fans for her build so I'll be gifting her this set and in the process I've ordered the PH-F140SP models found on the Phanteks website from OCUK... either way "we" needed new fans!
That is strange. Phanteks changed from the PH-F140SP case fans to newer MP impeller ones with no model number on fan2 years ago this spring. So if you got a new case with PH-F140SP fans it was make about 2 years ago. The impeller on MP is different than on SP and XP .. new case fans have MP impeller and no model number or specs on fan. MP impeller is bigger with
PH-F140MP-4.jpg

PH-F140MP and new case fan impeller

PH-F140SP-3.jpg

PH-F140SP impeller

Yeah, the included case fans are not the same fan as individually sold fans are. Most obvious difference is corner pads.

Honestly, PH-F140MP is a better fan than PH-F140SP.

Soldato
OP
@doyll - I noticed OcUK doing a bundle pack of PH-F140MP for radiator performance, are these more suited for water cooling setups which is something I'm not using?

A snipped from Phanteks website:

The MP Series High Static Pressure fans are that can produces high static air pressure allowing for a direct and focused airflow making them ideal for the densely packed fins of a radiator.

Also doesn't the PH-F140SP create more airflow than the PH-F140MP? I'm just following the Phanteks website for specifications and blurbs?

Soldato
@doyll - I noticed OcUK doing a bundle pack of PH-F140MP for radiator performance, are these more suited for water cooling setups which is something I'm not using?

A snipped from Phanteks website:

Also doesn't the PH-F140SP create more airflow than the PH-F140MP? I'm just following the Phanteks website for specifications and blurbs?
The P/Q curve of PH-F140MP is better than PH-F140SP. It has more pressure and airflow in mid to low rpm range than SP with about the same at full speed. The published specs only show fans' static pressure (how much pressure fan can make pushing air into a sealed box) and maximum free airflow (airflow with fan hanging on a string) .. usually with fan running at full speed. So while fan specs may look like SP is better airflow, the reality is that is only with no obstructions at full speed. The way I use fans is from about 500rpm at idle up to about 1000-1100rpm at full load, not at their 1500-1800rpm maximum speed were rating are taken. ;)

Noctua published a nice P/Q graph of how their new NF-A12x25 fan has lower static pressure rating than their NF-F12 and lower airflow rating than NF-S12A it has higher pressure and airflow in midlde section of graph .. the area of pressure/airflow resistance is in ways we use our fans.

You can see how the blue line of new fan is much better than the orange line of higher airflow rated fan and purple line of higher static pressure rated fan in the middle area where there is resistance to airflow.
ubjH3lz.png
I tried adding the images but for some reason they are not showing. Maybe it will now.
5a8bc869-dc39-4931-a366-f46eac3b3c59

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Images not working but thank you for the education, it's way over my head to be honest!!! Either way I'm sure the SP's will do the job nicely as I've just finished installing the fans into my daughter's PC and it's cool as ice in there!

Soldato
Images not working but thank you for the education, it's way over my head to be honest!!! Either way I'm sure the SP's will do the job nicely as I've just finished installing the fans into my daughter's PC and it's cool as ice in there!
First image works, last 3 do not.

Soldato
OP
First image works, last 3 do not.

The 3 PH-F140SP fans I ordered from OcUK arrived yesterday. After fitting these to my case I can certainly tell the difference between these and the preinstalled fans.

How can I tell you might ask?

Well I fitted the set of PH-F140SP that came preinstalled in my case into my daughters build and the difference in noise level was very noticeable... mine is completely silent at low and medium levels, my daughters build has a noticeable humming sound at low level although it's not annoying.

So there is a difference in the boxed and preinstalled versions mentioned above?

Soldato
The 3 PH-F140SP fans I ordered from OcUK arrived yesterday. After fitting these to my case I can certainly tell the difference between these and the preinstalled fans.

How can I tell you might ask?

Well I fitted the set of PH-F140SP that came preinstalled in my case into my daughters build and the difference in noise level was very noticeable... mine is completely silent at low and medium levels, my daughters build has a noticeable humming sound at low level although it's not annoying.

So there is a difference in the boxed and preinstalled versions mentioned above?
As far as I know the differences are cable covering and corner pads. Maybe you daughter's case is picking up a slight vibration and resonating it through case? Could try holding case different places and see of hum goes away .. maybe hold fan if not panels. That is if you are care enough to try and find the source. It may be something else in her system or in that room. Others and myself included have chased hums only to find out they were the fridge down the hall or a light fixture. Had a friend that chased an intermittent hum in his audiophile hi-fi system for almost a year before isolating it to fridge running a couple rooms away. ;)

Soldato
OP
As far as I know the differences are cable covering and corner pads. Maybe you daughter's case is picking up a slight vibration and resonating it through case? Could try holding case different places and see of hum goes away .. maybe hold fan if not panels. That is if you are care enough to try and find the source. It may be something else in her system or in that room. Others and myself included have chased hums only to find out they were the fridge down the hall or a light fixture. Had a friend that chased an intermittent hum in his audiophile hi-fi system for almost a year before isolating it to fridge running a couple rooms away. ;)

I put my ear to the fans and it's definitely all 3 fans that are doing this, turned all 3 fans down to lowest rpm and it's alright now with a tweaked curve setting. It's not annoying though, the usual fan noise?

Although still nowhere near as silent as my new fans but I think that's to be expected... perhaps new internals maybe?

Soldato
I put my ear to the fans and it's definitely all 3 fans that are doing this, turned all 3 fans down to lowest rpm and it's alright now with a tweaked curve setting. It's not annoying though, the usual fan noise?

Although still nowhere near as silent as my new fans but I think that's to be expected... perhaps new internals maybe?
Definitely possible. Phanteks is notorious for changing product without publishing there have been changes. They changed from SP case fans to no model number MP impeller case fans with nothing being said. Changed PH-TC14PE from 2-piece fins to single piece fins and .. yup, you got it, never said a word. I manged to get one of the new 1-piece finned PH-TC14PE and do comparison testing and it cools just as good, actually a little better because of new PH-F140HP_II fans being better than older cooler fans.

Associate

Woooooooooooow Your friend chased a hum for a year without once thinking of turning the hi-fi equipment off and listening? :O

About the phanteks though, I have some ph-f140mp and the badge also has no info/specs on them... Could i have a case fan version? They are good, seem to push lots of air despite being a rad fan, and are damn near silent at max rpm (1600). Well, you can certainly hear the air, but the fan is silent.

Last edited:
Soldato
Woooooooooooow Your friend chased a hum for a year without once thinking of turning the hi-fi equipment and listening? :O

About the phanteks though, I have some ph-f140mp and the badge also has no info/specs on them... Could i have a case fan version? They are good, seem to push lots of air despite being a rad fan, and are damn near silent at max rpm (1600). Well, you can certainly hear the air, but the fan is silent.
Are they 3-pin variable voltage or 4-pin PWM? If 4-pin PWM they are PH-F140MP. If variable voltage they are fans supplied with Phanteks cases. The case fans do not have vibration pads in corners that PH-F140MP have. ;)

Associate
Are they 3-pin variable voltage or 4-pin PWM? If 4-pin PWM they are PH-F140MP. If variable voltage they are fans supplied with Phanteks cases. The case fans do not have vibration pads in corners that PH-F140MP have. ;)

Ahhh ok I've deffo got the ph-f140mp then... They have the rubber mounts and yeah they're 4pin. Got them whilst I was living in China, and their taobao is like ebay (sometimes dodgy deals) so never know.

After reading this thread I'm not sure whether or not I should get 2 x ph-f120xp as some case fans or some more of ph-f120mp...
They're going to be sat directly above a cut out hole for an rtx2080 or 3080 if I get one before everyone else :D

Back
Top Bottom