F1 2019 - News & Rumours

Soldato
Ferrari lost speed during that race and Vettel lost many positions.

Let's add some context, as I see you're getting on Vettel's case again.

Vettel qualified with a lap record
He got away in first
He was left exposed to Bottas by Kimi, who had a poor start
The Ferrari team's strategy let Vettel down when he was undercut successfully by Bottas
The Ferrari team's strategy let Vettel down by not pitting him during the safety car, or had no opportunity to pit him during the safety car. Take your pick. Interestingly, Mercedes could have pitted Hamilton but chose not to
Vettel was now left exposed to the Red Bulls, much faster than anyone else due to their fresh tyres
Ricciardo overtook Vettel on his much faster tyres
Verstappen, who at this stage of the season was very much at 'peak Max', hit Vettel while trying to overtake him on his much faster tyres
Verstappen was penalised by the marshals for this incident
Vettel suffered damage to both car and tyres
Vettel was subsequently much slower
Even Alonso in a lol McLaren subsequently overtook him (with some relish and abruptness, I recall)

So context is quite important to the statement that you made.

Caporegime
Let's add some context, as I see you're getting on Vettel's case again.

Vettel qualified with a lap record
He got away in first
He was left exposed to Bottas by Kimi, who had a poor start
The Ferrari team's strategy let Vettel down when he was undercut successfully by Bottas
The Ferrari team's strategy let Vettel down by not pitting him during the safety car, or had no opportunity to pit him during the safety car. Take your pick. Interestingly, Mercedes could have pitted Hamilton but chose not to
Vettel was now left exposed to the Red Bulls, much faster than anyone else due to their fresh tyres
Ricciardo overtook Vettel on his much faster tyres
Verstappen, who at this stage of the season was very much at 'peak Max', hit Vettel while trying to overtake him on his much faster tyres
Verstappen was penalised by the marshals for this incident
Vettel suffered damage to both car and tyres
Vettel was subsequently much slower
Even Alonso in a lol McLaren subsequently overtook him (with some relish and abruptness, I recall)

So context is quite important to the statement that you made.

So you are trying to say that because of all those issues Vettel lost many places.

Not because (in reality, in my personal opinion) he is a driver, who in such circumstances drops his head and says chuff it I can't be arsed to fight.

Schumacher, Senna, Hamilton, and many other seriously talented drivers in that exact position, in that exact car, would not have allowed many of those overtakes, they would have had the widest car on the track, they would have fought for every position, they would have just driven into the pits and demanded changes.

That race plus many other incidents in many other races shows that Vettel is not a seriously class driver.
Once out in front, he is fine, as is anyone else, but mid pack fighting for every inch of track, he is mediocre at best.

Permabanned
So you are trying to say that because of all those issues Vettel lost many places.

Not because (in reality, in my personal opinion) he is a driver, who in such circumstances drops his head and says chuff it I can't be arsed to fight.

Schumacher, Senna, Hamilton, and many other seriously talented drivers in that exact position, in that exact car, would not have allowed many of those overtakes, they would have had the widest car on the track, they would have fought for every position, they would have just driven into the pits and demanded changes.

That race plus many other incidents in many other races shows that Vettel is not a seriously class driver.
Once out in front, he is fine, as is anyone else, but mid pack fighting for every inch of track, he is mediocre at best.

Pretty much this. The driver is the only person in the team who directly plays with and feels the car. No one else is to blame for his inaccuracies in 50% of the races, if not more.

Soldato
We’re not talking about other races. We all know that Vettel made a number of mistakes over the season. You were suggesting that he was directly responsible for losing the places at the 2018 Chinese Grand Prix. I presented a list of facts to the contrary. You dispute this without providing anything in return. You’re incapable of seeing anything other than that which you want to see.

Caporegime
Yes, that’s what I am saying. You’re in a deluded state if you attribute the performance solely to Vettel’s driving.

Not solely no, but I would suggest a good 90 to 95% were directly attributable to Vettel and not the team.

We’re not talking about other races. We all know that Vettel made a number of mistakes over the season. You were suggesting that he was directly responsible for losing the places at the 2018 Chinese Grand Prix. I presented a list of facts to the contrary. You dispute this without providing anything in return. You’re incapable of seeing anything other than that which you want to see.

I am suggesting many other drivers who thrive under high pressure situations and do not fold at the merest hint of decent pressure, would not have lost as many places in the Chinese grand Prix.

Soldato
Well I think you're incorrect on both counts, especially the China 2018 result.

But that's the beauty of F1 - much is hidden and the subject of opinion. I didn't see many of the China GP overtakes as buckling under pressure - in my view they were more Vettel being the victim of being in front of far faster cars at the time (a McLaren ffs, A 2018 MCLAREN!). There are some good examples of Vettel folding under pressure, including the first and biggest of them all, Canada 2011. But China 2018 is not one of them.

Soldato
If we're talking about China, then his lack of pace after being Verstappened was also caused by him lighting up his rear tyres for 10 seconds and completely burning them away. At least when he spun again in Suzuka he remembered to look after the tyres when rejoining.

Not so much an example of him buckling under pressure, but lack of forethought.

Caporegime
Vettel certainly didn't drive well in 2018 but to call a 4 times world champion mediocre at best surely can't be right.

He just appears to have lost his fight and his passion, 2018 was definitely mediocre, maybe he will show his old passion and fight in 2019, especially as he now has a young teammate with that fire and passion Vettel used to have, only time will tell.

But I believe he is getting towards the end of his career and he just wants a last year or two completed safely with no risks and trouble to then quit and settle down with family, so in those circumstances he will not go for the slightly dubious more risky overtake when he can safely settle for a lower position and get to the finish.

Permabanned
He just appears to have lost his fight and his passion, 2018 was definitely mediocre, maybe he will show his old passion and fight in 2019, especially as he now has a young teammate with that fire and passion Vettel used to have, only time will tell.

But I believe he is getting towards the end of his career and he just wants a last year or two completed safely with no risks and trouble to then quit and settle down with family, so in those circumstances he will not go for the slightly dubious more risky overtake when he can safely settle for a lower position and get to the finish.

This is a description of no motivation. It is early for retirement and certainly he can't be stressed by accidents concerns :eek:

Caporegime
Wonder if Leclerc could be a decent bet for the WDC? 9/1 on bet365 & 10/1 on William Hill. I reckon he'll give Vettel a run for his money and Ferrari know he's their future so likely won't cede to Vettel too much on track or when it comes to parts or pit stops.

Caporegime
So

Who gets 2018 ferrari parts next year?.. If someone does they may leap to best of the rest

Renault will likely go backwards if Honda have improved as much as they say

Mclaren will make no ground with the Renault engine

Riccardo believed he would get beaten by max, so has probably lost 6+ places in the WDC
.. And he might get beaten by hulk

Leclerc will possibly beat vettel.. Surely the most entertaining thing for next year! :D

Soldato
Riccardo believed he would get beaten by max, so has probably lost 6+ places in the WDC
Or you could read it for what it is and Riccardo thought if they had a car capable of challenging for the title then Max will get all the support, as the clear Redbull favourite and all.

Back
Top Bottom