**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Man of Honour
I've just checked lvl45 is the max. If it's not legendary then i think the only difference would be the condition levels when created.

I did find a legendary one, but it was L25 and the legendary effect was nocturnal - more damage at night, less during the day. Useless.

I'll be OK with my L45 one then. The condition level is pretty high and I'll soon pick up the weapon artisan perk to repair to 200% condition. That'll do. It's not my rifle that breaks, anyway. It's my shotgun.

I love fallout so got this a few weeks ago on the cheap to try it. I just can not get into it, having no npc just does not seem right. I can not be bothered to read every terminal!

Are most people playing with others or going solo?

It's probably not for you, then. It is very different to other Fallout games.

Almost everyone is playing solo because that's what Fallout games are for. There are far better games for true multiplayer. A small minority of people play with others in a team at times.

In events, it's not particularly uncommon for >1 solo player to do the event at the same time. Not as a party and generally not talking with each other (most players have voice chat off) but doing the same event. For example, when I was doing an event to repair and restart a power station another solo player turned up and we mostly did repairs in different parts of the power station. We waved at each other in passing - that's almost always the limit of player interaction.

[..] Best way to play is walk & explore the epic vast map to unlock all locations then do the combat as you go to & from them then try the missions & quests last of all when you are a higher level. [..]

I'd say that's generally a good idea apart from one massive problem with it. For no known reason and without even bothering to tell players, Bethesda has put upper level caps on plans. So, for example, if you don't buy the plan to make a hand made gun by L45 you will never be able to do so. There is only 1 vendor in the game who sells that plan and they only sell it sometimes. They're in Harper's Ferry. If you play the game as an exploration game (which is what Fallout games are designed for), it's very likely you will pass L45 before you reach Harper's Ferry. That's just one example - it's likely that many or maybe all plans have an upper level limit. Players have no way of knowing which plans do and what the limits are - the L45 limit for the hand made gun was discovered by trial and error and only really happened because it's the most important non-sniper rifle in the game. The few rifles that do more damage per shot are sniper rifles - extremely low rate of fire, extremely low magazine size (or even single shot) and lots of recoil. The hand made gun is simply the best general purpose rifle - long range, mid range, short range, single aimed shots, dozens of bullets fired from the hip, it does everything pretty well. Imagine the robustness of an AK47 with the accuracy of an M16.

A viable altenative approach is to follow the main quest line to completion and explore afterwards. You're far more likely to gain access to the plans that way, but you will find it hard going because that way is balanced for multiplayer. You might prefer this approach, since it's quest-based and the lack of NPCs is much less relevant to that approach.

Another few bits of information that might be useful:

Enemies in the forest zone are not levelled, enemies in other zones are. So you can roam the forest area pretty freely even at low levels, gaining experience and equipment.

Scrapping weapons is crucial because it's the main way you learn mods for them. I suggest scrapping every weapon you're not using until you've scrapped a dozen or more without learning a mod and so can be at least fairly sure you've learned every mod you can learn for that weapon.

Scrapping armour is far less important because by far the most viable course of action is to use power armour as soon as possible and you can't learn mods for that by scrapping it. Nor can you wear other armour or underarmour with power armour. You appear to be able to, but at best it has no effect and at worst it reduces your resistances. So other forms of armour and underarmour are nothing more than a stopgap until you can use power armour or a useless and irrelevant option afterwards.

It is possible to collect and store power armour that you're not a high enough level to use. The method is this: Point yourself at the power armour and transfer all the pieces on it to your inventory. Enter the power armour chassis (which has no level requirement) and then exit it. This claims the chassis as being yours. Point yourself at the chassis and transfer the pieces back onto to. Wait until the chassis (now with the pieces on it) is automatically transferred to your inventory (90 seconds, I think). Job done - you now have the chassis with all the pieces on it in your inventory with a total weight of 10. You can put it in your stash until later if you want to - the pieces will remain on it and the weight will remain 10.

Power armour can be found in many locations. Your best bet is to look online for a map of power armour locations. The pieces on each chassis will be random and it's not uncommon to go to a power armour location and find the chassis empty or missing because another player has taken it. Many players resort to server hopping to find a complete set - quit to main menu, reload and you're in the same area on a different server and maybe the nearby power armour hasn't already been looted. I didn't do that, but many players do.

Raider power armour can be worn at L15, but it's rare and not very good. Most players wait until they can use T-45 power armour at L25.

Excavator power armour plans are given as a quest reward for the Miner Miracles quest in the Ash Heap region south of the Forest region. At the Garrahan Mining HQ, IIRC. This gives you a reliable way to obtain a good power armour suit that you can make yourself and therefore will be complete. The same is true of X-01 power armour, but that's much further along in the questlines.

Don't worry about fusion cores for power armour - they're very common outside the forest area (and not extremely rare inside it). I don't even pick them up any more - I have 50 and they last a long time even without perks to extend how long they last.

Any equipment that you can craft yourself can be crafted at different levels, with higher levels being better (weapons do more damage per shot, armour gives higher resistances). Once you've learned the plan for it, when you start to craft it you'll get a level submenu. The levels are stepped and your own level must equal or exceed the item level to craft it, e.g. at L1-4 you can craft L1 pipe guns, at L5-9 you can craft L1 or L5 pipe guns, etc. This can be particularly important with early weapons, where the extra damage per shot can be significant.

I went a long way with what first seems to be a rather crappy weapon - a pipe revolver. It is a crappy weapon...without mods. Once you've scrapped some and can craft a hardened scoped pipe revolver rifle, you've got a useful long range weapon. Craft new ones at higher levels as you level (you know pipe weapon plans from the start, you don't have to find and read them) and it'll remain useful for some time. I was using it up until mid 20s level. It's accurate enough to reliably aim for the head. I preferred it to the hunting rifle, which fills the same role. Shotguns work well for short range, especially once you can get and use a combat shotgun (much higher rate of fire than the others). Melee is strong too (especially in power armour) even without melee perks. I prefer to kill enemies before they try to smash my head in with a sledgehammer, but melee is certainly a useful backup option or even a main option if you take the perks for it. I keep a melee item as favourite 1, a shotgun as favourite 2 and a rifle as favourite 3. An option for every distance.

Energy weapons seem rather mediocre in FO76 and are generally ignored.

Soldato
Nor can you wear other armour or underarmour with power armour. You appear to be able to, but at best it has no effect and at worst it reduces your resistances. So other forms of armour and underarmour are nothing more than a stopgap until you can use power armour or a useless and irrelevant option afterwards.

I remember you testing some underarmour under the PA, but what lengths did you go to test it? From what i've read, underarmour boosts very much stack whilst under PA. I've so far only focused on legendary weapons, but very soon i'll look at getting some of the 3* armour/underarmours to stack the boosts.

Don't worry about fusion cores for power armour - they're very common outside the forest area (and not extremely rare inside it). I don't even pick them up any more - I have 50 and they last a long time even without perks to extend how long they last.

This has changed since the recent update. Every fusion generator you used to come across in the wild always had a core available, but now these are pretty rare. I think Bethesda are pushing players to either craft their own, or farm them from some of the workshops.

Man of Honour
I remember you testing some underarmour under the PA, but what lengths did you go to test it? From what i've read, underarmour boosts very much stack whilst under PA. I've so far only focused on legendary weapons, but very soon i'll look at getting some of the 3* armour/underarmours to stack the boosts.

I tested modded road leathers, which are definitely underarmour and definitely add to 2 stats. But not under power armour. I tested road leathers alone, road leathers under leather and metal armour, road leathers under an outfit, road leathers under leather and metal armour and an outfit. All those combinations added to my stats. I tested road leathers under power armour, road leathers under leather and metal armour in power armour, road leathers under leather and metal armour and an outfit in power armour. None of those combinations added to my stats and they reduced my resistances compared with power armour and just my underpants. At the time, road leathers were the only underarmour I could mod to add stats and obviously I haven't bothered finding any more.

In each case, I stripped naked and equipped the items in order between each test. Naked, underamour, armour, outfit, power armour in that order.

It is of course possible that was a bug - it is a Bethesda game, after all. But from what I've read underarmour stat boosts do not apply whilst under PA. It definitely shouldn't be possible to wear armour inside power armour. I tested that too - the armour has a square next to it in your pip-boy as if it was equipped, but it isn't and if you select it you get a message saying you can't equip it while in power armour. Also, of course, if it worked then every high level player would be doing it. You could enormous balllistic, energy and radiation resistances that way even without any addition bonuses from mods and legendary effects.

I now have a mod on my power armour torso that adds strength - that works.

As before, I would be interested to see the results from anyone testing combinations of underarmour, armour and power armour. Last time, the only person who did so was AWPC and they concluded that it was a glitch with their game or specific combination of equipment.

This has changed since the recent update. Every fusion generator you used to come across in the wild always had a core available, but now these are pretty rare. I think Bethesda are pushing players to either craft their own, or farm them from some of the workshops.

Bummer. Crafting fusion cores is so impractical that it's useless. The crafting requirements are insane. Farming them from workshops is wildly impractical as the generation rate is very slow and the container holds very few at a time (maybe only 1).

Well, my current stash will probably last me until I stop playing the game. I think that's what the change will push players towards - stopping playing. Power armour is a de facto requirement, so strongly discouraging players from using it strikes me as a bad idea.

Soldato
Angilion is correct. After the recent patches any armour worn under a Power Armour suit has zero benefit & actually detracts as it adds more weight. So I removed all mine & sold them & this also meant I gained +3 Perk Cards to use elsewhere as well as saved a lot of weight. Before the recent patches I found it was giving me the Armour benefit when worn under a PA suit but now its worthless unless you play without a PA suit.

Best PA mod I have found so far are the Internal Database mods for PA Helmets this adds +2 INT at all times which is very helpful & weigh nothing ;) Calibrated Shocks are good for extra 100 carry weight but its bugged on Excavator it should be 560 Carry Weight but only goes to 460 for some reason! You also need 1 for each leg so they are mega expensive!

As for Fusion Cores I am still finding plenty I think like most of the game its linked to how many you carry & what you just found I have so many (30-35 in the PA suit inventory alone & another 10 @ 100% in the Stash Box just in case!). Constantly dumping them & also have the plans to make & materials to make but those are insane I am not ever bothering to make!

I have a theory that the wonky random Bethesda scripting looks at your current inventory, what you recently found, what you recently crafted then after all that its still applying a random generator to everything :rolleyes: I find high level plans in weird places, expensive mods just lying around this is annoying as its almost always after I have just paid 400-500 Caps for an expensive Mod or Plan then I find it just lying around ready for taking :rolleyes: I have quite a few duplicates now I can sell for caps ingame if anyone wants them for the same caps they cost me ;)

Got my Super Sledgehammer up to a massive 321-380 DMG per hit now :eek: this along with the Perk to ignore 75% Armour & Perk for temporary 60% DMG Boost means I can smash any lvl 65 Mutant or Super Mutant with only 1 or 2 hits :eek: :D

Finally came across some insane high level players earlier who dropped 3 nukes on Cranberry Bog then took the Scorchbeast Queens down with only 2-3 shots of some bright orange plasma mega weapon :eek: :D this was handy as I managed to pick up 3 x Ultracite PA plans I was missing but also a little confused as 1 of the Queens dropped nothing the other 2 dropped for all players in the group of 8 which is confusing!

Soldato
Bummer. Crafting fusion cores is so impractical that it's useless. The crafting requirements are insane. Farming them from workshops is wildly impractical as the generation rate is very slow and the container holds very few at a time (maybe only 1).

Well, my current stash will probably last me until I stop playing the game. I think that's what the change will push players towards - stopping playing. Power armour is a de facto requirement, so strongly discouraging players from using it strikes me as a bad idea.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is a pre-cursor to the rumoured Vault-Tec Lunch (Loot) boxes and making fusion cores a random drop in those.

Associate
i love this game now, crashes allot and full of bugs but still enjoy it, wierd the other day at level 30 i found a full set of ultracite armour on a frame in the middle of the road picked it all up ready to get to level 50 :)

Associate
Got my first exploding rifle today. Was just selling my usual junk at Watoga and saw it in the for sale list. A Zealots lvl 40 combat 3* rifle with 30% more damage against scorched, 15% faster reload and exploding bullets for 400 caps!

Granted it’s not two shot but a good rare find anyway, guess it was dumped by someone who had a better rifle.

Soldato
Got my first exploding rifle today. Was just selling my usual junk at Watoga and saw it in the for sale list. A Zealots lvl 40 combat 3* rifle with 30% more damage against scorched, 15% faster reload and exploding bullets for 400 caps!

Granted it’s not two shot but a good rare find anyway, guess it was dumped by someone who had a better rifle.

Ah i wasn't even aware that the vendors sold on weapons from other players. I rarely look at the weapons/armour tabs anyway as i'm either selling, or buying mods/notes.

I think we should get a team together to fight the SBQ? (@AWPC @cyber69 + anyone else). You guys will need 3* legendary weapons with at least 4-500 damage at range i'd say, or very high fire rate. Melee weapons are fine for when she lands, but she'll spend most of her time in the air.

Soldato
Finally crafted excavator set, found a decent location for screws, place in the swamp with 7 or 8 typewriters, several globes and loose screws in drawers, got 30 odd in one visit. :)

What level have you crafted it to? Unless it's max i wouldn't bother buying mods for it yet, buy them if you find them by all means, but wait until you've crafted max level before adding them to it. The excavator PA is one of the most (if not *the* most) useful PA set available.

Glad to hear you're finding screws, i seem to always have too much of them (~200) that i always end up selling about 100.

Permabanned
What level have you crafted it to? Unless it's max i wouldn't bother buying mods for it yet, buy them if you find them by all means, but wait until you've crafted max level before adding them to it. The excavator PA is one of the most (if not *the* most) useful PA set available.

Glad to hear you're finding screws, i seem to always have too much of them (~200) that i always end up selling about 100.

I'm still only level 27, been playing too much Fifa. :p Wont be buying any mods for a while, only have about 200 caps! :)

Game seems better since last patch, not had any freezes.

Soldato
Game seems better since last patch, not had any freezes.

I've kinda felt the other way, i would certainly say the loading times have definitely improved. But i've had a number of times where i've wandered around whitesprings for it to freeze and CTD. I also had a panicky moment the other day when i was afk for a while, so was auto logged out. When i logged back in it only partially loaded, the surroundings etc had fully loaded, but i couldn't move or even open my pip boy. And as i wasn't wearing my PA at the time i couldn't fast travel (over-encumbered) to force reload it. Had to quit and reload a few times before it fully loaded.

My feeling is that it's less stable than it was before the update.

On a positive note though, a fair few players have been complaining of crashes/freezes whilst doing a nuke run, and i didn't experience a single problem when i launched one the other day.

Soldato
Speaking of nukes, is that what those codes I keep finding are for and do they expire?

Yep. There's 8 code pieces for each of the 3 silos, they expire every Monday - so all pieces vanish from your inventory.

The code pieces are global, so they're the same for everyone. Infact you don't even need the code pieces to launch the nuke, you can use https://nukacrypt.com/solved which has decrypted them from people entering the code pieces.

The only things you need to launch a nuke are:
- General rank from the Enclave
- Nuclear launch keycard
- Launch code from the nuka crypt site
- PA + good damage dealing weapon .. OR .. plenty of stealth boys + sneak perks/chems

There are a lot of robots in the silo who will attack you, so you can either kill them off, or sneak past them all.

Associate
Ah i wasn't even aware that the vendors sold on weapons from other players. I rarely look at the weapons/armour tabs anyway as i'm either selling, or buying mods/notes.

I think we should get a team together to fight the SBQ? (@AWPC @cyber69 + anyone else). You guys will need 3* legendary weapons with at least 4-500 damage at range i'd say, or very high fire rate. Melee weapons are fine for when she lands, but she'll spend most of her time in the air.

Got a 2* black powder pistol from a Whitesprings raid today, not exactly the weapon of choice but damage is 458 due to exploding bullet so it’s like a small missile launcher.

Back
Top Bottom