• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS VEGA 64 Strix *Improve VRM temps fix*

Associate
Soldato
I did this a few years ago and to my knowledge Fujiploy has been very good because they offer a Thermal Conductivity of 17.0watt. I've found no other brand that offers that level of thermal conductivity.

The only issue with Fujiploy is that you need to keep a spare strip around. Because if you take the HS apart it might crumble.
But I've used it for over 2 years now and it's by far the best stuff out there if you can get your hands on it.
It does make a big difference in your ability to get stable overclocks.
I cannot say what it will do over other brands but from the oem thermal pads it's night and day difference.
Hmm, I'm trying to remember but I notice a 20+C drop in temps at load. Therefore, for me, vrm temps are now on par with gpu temps while gaming.
Before vrm temps where much hotter.

Associate
I did this a few years ago and to my knowledge Fujiploy has been very good because they offer a Thermal Conductivity of 17.0watt. I've found no other brand that offers that level of thermal conductivity.

The only issue with Fujiploy is that you need to keep a spare strip around. Because if you take the HS apart it might crumble.
But I've used it for over 2 years now and it's by far the best stuff out there if you can get your hands on it.
It does make a big difference in your ability to get stable overclocks.
I cannot say what it will do over other brands but from the oem thermal pads it's night and day difference.
Hmm, I'm trying to remember but I notice a 20+C drop in temps at load. Therefore, for me, vrm temps are now on par with gpu temps while gaming.
Before vrm temps where much hotter.

I got a 120x120x3 mm thermal pad to try it out that is still being shipped, however I figure if Asus is going to RMA it and they have made a fix, then they should at least give me the fixed version.

Associate
Ok thanks, I think if they give me another old card I will have to complain at Asus RMA to give me one with the new heatsink.
Problem is that through all lines of communication with ASUS they will not confirm that the change in heatsink was to rectify any problems... as far as they care, both cards perform the same. :confused:

Associate
Problem is that through all lines of communication with ASUS they will not confirm that the change in heatsink was to rectify any problems... as far as they care, both cards perform the same. :confused:
Well, they are accepting it as RMA for overheating now. I guess as long as I'm willing to keep doing RMAs and Asus keeps accepting the problem then I have to keep trying until I get a version with the revised heatsink. At least they are willing to pay for shipping for the return RMA after the first 1.

Associate
Well, they are accepting it as RMA for overheating now. I guess as long as I'm willing to keep doing RMAs and Asus keeps accepting the problem then I have to keep trying until I get a version with the revised heatsink. At least they are willing to pay for shipping for the return RMA after the first 1.

So I received my 2nd RMA from Asus. No modified heatsink on the bracket and still the same overheating problems.

Associate
That's the backplate, the heatsink is on the other side. You can tell by running the monitoring programing and seeing what temp the vrm's get upto. I think its hardwareinfo that displays that info.

Ok thanks. What should it be reading or shouldn't be reading

Also what happens as mine seems to be running fine but only had it a few days

Soldato
So I received my 2nd RMA from Asus. No modified heatsink on the bracket and still the same overheating problems.

Just had to RMA mines do to severely undeclocking, I was hoping for the RMA to be revised, I even offered to buy thermal pads and install them or pay for installation, but was advised this would void my warranty, when did you get your RMA

Associate
Just had to RMA mines do to severely undeclocking, I was hoping for the RMA to be revised, I even offered to buy thermal pads and install them or pay for installation, but was advised this would void my warranty, when did you get your RMA
I was on to my second one already, it's been since December 19, 2018 when I shipped it back the first time.

If you can't get one then maybe try to ask for a different model? Offer to pay any difference in price.

Soldato
I was on to my second one already, it's been since December 19, 2018 when I shipped it back the first time.

If you can't get one then maybe try to ask for a different model? Offer to pay any difference in price.

I hope my replacement works, if not it's RMA time again, 115c on any component is unsccunaccep, more so when it impacts clock speed etc etc. Ocuk are legends but really need to kick Asus butt for the bad design. I didn't think the issue was a Biggie until I got my card.

@Gibbo Asus have now revised their Vega 64's any word if your RMA stock has been updated to reflect? If not I'm happy to mod my card with thermal grizzly pads, if my warranty is intact. I have already tried undervolt etc etc

Associate

Might be worth it if you are doing the VRM Mod. Aint ever had any trouble with good ol' bulk MX-2 but using Kryonaut did seem to at least tame the GPU HS a little. week on and its still the same so can recommend if you are going to do the mod, spend the extra and get a high end paste.

Back
Top Bottom