• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Man of Honour
Radeon VII Lacks Full FP64 Compute Capabilities Available to Instinct MI60

https://www.techpowerup.com/251506/...mpute-capabilities-available-to-instinct-mi60

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-vii.c3358

Radeon VII now confirmed will have 860 GFLOP FP64 instead of 6.7 TFLOP FP64 which are only available to Instinct MI60.

Sorry to disappointed guys who want to buy Radeon VII with massive 6.7 TFLOP FP64 compute for bargain $699. NOPE!

But they have left it's bios open. There appears to be a simple fix here :D

Associate
This is what i think, they could bring out a more faster card than the rx vii.

Because by the sounds of it, the card's performance is crippled with 64 rops as compared to a vega 64 that has 128 rops?

They can do better for performance on that part, don't you think?

I think the vega rx vii is not their most high end now is it, i am thinking about the fury cards they released some time ago, this card is not like that me thinks.

So i expect amd to release their enthusiastic cards later... this vega rx vii surely is not that.

If it is then boohoo.

Last edited:
Associate
No reviews yet but there are some benchmarks at Eurogamer.

Keep in mind they are somewhat speculative. Though they should be fairly accurate they are calculated based on AMD's numbers about how it compares to Vega 64. We don't have any proper independent benchmarks yet.

Man of Honour
No reviews yet but there are some benchmarks at Eurogamer.

My undrstanding is that they are all numbers taken off the AMD slides. I mean it doesn't really matter either way as you can't even pay money to be in a queue yet. Guess I will just sit and wait until I can put in a pre-order somewhere. I quite fancy replacing my vega cards and this is an acceptable card while I wait for the next gen.

Associate

Interesting:

It should trade blows with RTX 2080 across the board. And in games like Battlefield 5 and the upcoming The Division 2 at 4K, we see memory usage going beyond 8GB. That’s why we included 16GB of HBM2 memory on Radeon VII.

Eurogamer's projections put it between the 2070 and 2080. If it doesn't trade blows with the 2080 then it's a poor choice at the price point. If it does, it's slightly better. Still, if true I'll be getting one if it's not stupidly overpriced in the UK.

Soldato

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Wish it was just a little bit cheaper and it would have stomped on Nvidia, but for similar price its a bit of a let down

Soldato

Because by the sounds of it, the card's performance is crippled with 64 rops as compared to a vega 64 that has 128 rops?

Vega 64 never had 128rops. It was 64. So it's not "crippled" in repsect to RX Vega.

Only if they sacrifice MI60 and MI50 cards to move fully working Vega 20 packages into a gaming card. Radeon 7 comes from repurposed chips that never made the cut for an Instinct card.

I think the vega rx vii is not their most high end now is it...

Well it is, unless AMD do what I said above

...i am thinking about the fury cards they released some time ago, this card is not like that me thinks.

So i expect amd to release their enthusiastic cards later... this vega rx vii surely is not that.

Well Navi is on its way and despite always being pitched at the midrange market, I guess it's possible a big version will show up. Otherwise it's Arcturus in 2020.

Soldato
Could this be a potential upgrade path from my GTX 1080 ? I game at 4K and am getting the upgrade itch and would like to give AMD a shot after years of NVIDIA cards.

Associate
Could this be a potential upgrade path from my GTX 1080 ? I game at 4K and am getting the upgrade itch and would like to give AMD a shot after years of NVIDIA cards.

Although it's better, it's almost certainly not £650 worth of upgrade. That goes for the 2080 as well. .

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If it can at least match a 1080 Ti then yes it is. My Titan XP is the first card I have which can play pretty much everything at 60fps or there abouts. I had a 1080 a couple years ago and it falls a little short, even though I disable a lot of useless options in games.

Though I picked up my Titan for £460 on members market. Which is a lot better value for money, albeit second hand. If you can wait about a year you will have much better options.

Associate

If you game at 4k, then it probably is an upgrade. But not by much. Radeon 7 can trade blows with the 2080 and 1080ti. The cost is not helping things. If you were on an older/slower card it would be more justificable. But the jump from 1080 to Vega isn't that huge to justify the price. Makes you realise how poorly the RTX cards compare to their Pascal counterparts. Gone are the days when the x70 would match or beat the x80ti...

To be fair, this does look like a card that can probably safely get 60fps inmost if not all games at 4k. Just that the price makes it a hard sell.

Soldato

I think the vega rx vii is not their most high end now is it, i am thinking about the fury cards they released some time ago, this card is not like that me thinks.

If it is then boohoo.

Vega 64 isn't 128 its 64 like Vega 7. The professional Vega 7nm is 128. Vega 7 is a cut down version from the professional process.

Soldato
Although it's better, it's almost certainly not £650 worth of upgrade. That goes for the 2080 as well. .

As above, probably not worth it at that price. The real world gains are going to be small. I'm not sure I'd even upgrade from Vega64.

Though if more games start eating loads of vram and making better use of AMD's ridiculous compute power, it might become worth it later on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom