• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Good deal 1080ti

Associate
I have been offered an MSI 1080ti aero for £390 including delivery. Its a blower card. Is this a good deal?

3mG50BJ

Soldato
Meh. It's as much performance as you'll get for the money, but these cheap blower-style cards are very loud and run very hot. I wouldn't want one, personally. Especially with no warranty for nearly £400.

Soldato
no warranty, knock £60-£80 off it, and as said above its hot and loud.

Better you save up £50 more and find a card from either EVGA or GIGABYTE with some warranty left.

unless you can get it for closer to £300, not worth the risk and heat/noise.

Associate
If it's a reference pcb you might be able to get a waterblock for it and stick it in a watercooled system, which would solve the heat and noise issues but would obviously add to the cost.

Associate
thats why they are called blower cards. coz they blow. get it? :D

400 quid for a blower with no warranty, what if it blows up 2morrow? what will you do then?>:mad:

or let time blow over until you can get a good deal on a new 1080ti

Associate
Thanks guys.

Are the blower coolers really that bad, founders edition etc?

Yes they are generally hot (80c+) and really loud. I bought a 7950 reference a couple years ago because it was 30 quid cheaper than the third party versions, thought to myself it cant be that bad (never had a ref blower before this). Never again.

I would rather have a third party regular 1080 over a blower 1080ti.

Associate
At current prices its a good deal.......but in reality this is what they should be costing brand new right now. If you can id recommend holding off and i would encourage as many people as possible not to buy at the joke prices right now. Ive said it so many times but im baffled idiots are paying the prices on display right now. More money now for 2 year+ old performance or least double for 25% more. Utter ridiculous. And AMD new offering not gonna help either.

Might as well all just get a console soon and give up supporting the industry.

Soldato
I recently bought a blower 1080 Ti card off eBay for just over £300 ( guy wanted closer to £500, I used a discount code and Nectar points). I just stripped the cooler of it and fitted a Kraken G12 and Corsair H55 AIO to it. Runs great.

Associate
My honest opinion is that although nothing wrong with second hand cards - all the ones Ive sold on ebay seem to be working fine as never had anyone contact me in 10 years. For the price I would save a bit more and get a new card. There are bargains to be had. Just wait.

Soldato
Seems like a good deal to me. If it’s a reference card I’d grab it, clean it out and use it while keeping an eye on eBay for a compatible cooler. The EVGA SC cards used to be reference, if they still are see if you can find the cooler from one.

Then flash it with the EVGA bios :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom