TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
The BBC outsource that to Capita, and the fee is paid in to a consolidated fund.
Which doesn't change that the inspectors and inspector managers are doing it for profit and getting profit out of it. Which is why they are so aggressive as its not just to catch people skipping the licence but to force people into a licence for profit.

Caporegime
The TV license pays for the BBC

The BBC are a public broadcaster, which essentially makes them a non profit organisation.

The money funds their TV/Radio/Streaming output

They aren't doing it "To increase profit"

It's pretty simple.

Are you being deliberately obtuse here - the poster you're replying to is referring to the people who aggressively pursue collection of the license fee, you're seemingly aware they're employed by capita and not directly by the BBC yet your reply then conflates what the poster has said with the BBC being non profit.

Capita is a public listed company and its employees are incentives via bonuses, of course they're doing it for profit!

Soldato
Well it worked for a little bit but what a surprise it didn't last. I contacted them a dozen times in 2017 withdrawing rights of access and to state I don’t need a licence the last time on 8/18/2017. It’s still technically 2018 and somehow 8/18/2017 to end of 2018 is two years and the letter spam has started up again. So much for all those people saying just contact them it stops the letters. How long it stops for seems to be completely random.

EDIT: I wonder can we use GDPR to remove our address from there database to stop all letters?

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Well it worked for a little bit but what a surprise it didn't last. I contacted them a dozen times in 2017 withdrawing rights of access and to state I don’t need a licence the last time on 8/18/2017. It’s still technically 2018 and somehow 8/18/2017 to end of 2018 is two years and the letter spam has started up again. So much for all those people saying just contact them it stops the letters. How long it stops for seems to be completely random.

EDIT: I wonder can we use GDPR to remove our address from there database to stop all letters?
Why does this bother you so much? I get the letters on a cycle approximately once per month, but just treat them as junkmail. I get far more letters from Dominos Pizza (for example) than i do from TVL. Dominos do not even deliver to my property :p I have never contacted them, one bit of junk per month which you can identify immediately is inconsequential in a world where we must get 2-3 bits of junk per day.

Soldato
Why does this bother you so much? I get the letters on a cycle approximately once per month, but just treat them as junkmail. I get far more letters from Dominos Pizza (for example) than i do from TVL. Dominos do not even deliver to my property :p I have never contacted them, one bit of junk per month which you can identify immediately is inconsequential in a world where we must get 2-3 bits of junk per day.
People love to feel like they're a victim and love a good moan.

Soldato
Why does this bother you so much? I get the letters on a cycle approximately once per month, but just treat them as junkmail. I get far more letters from Dominos Pizza (for example) than i do from TVL. Dominos do not even deliver to my property I have never contacted them, one bit of junk per month which you can identify immediately is inconsequential in a world where we must get 2-3 bits of junk per day.
For years there was no problem and I was always friendly to the inspectors and let them look around. I have never owned a TV in my life and there are none in my home. After one of the inspector came around I can only assume he didn’t believe there was no TV. After that inspection they stepped up the pressure refusing to acknowledge the no TV declaration and the letters not only started getting more threatening but they increased up to the point of 1 per week.

If that was not bad enough at the same time my wife was having a serious problem with a stalker. The inspectors seems to think its ok to walk around our home past windows along with putting hand written notes though the door. Can you imagine how my wife felt seeing a man quickly walk by windows and hand written notes saying “I told you I would be watching?” and this is after an inspector has already been let in to look around so they know there is no TV. Every time the inspector came around she had a panic thinking it was the stalker and who could blame her with how the inspector acted.

Hopeful that explains why they bother me so much. I had to go down an official complaint wasting a lot of my time along with removing there rights of access to my home.

People love to feel like they're a victim and love a good moan.
How would you feel about someone looking through your windows on a weekly basis sometimes with threating hand written notes though the door? How would you feel if they filmed though your window into your home?

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I have never had an inspector show up, which i suppose explains why i am happy to treat them as junk mail only and not think about it. I too would be very annoyed at inspectors visiting.

Associate
Received an email from them saying they've noticed i've been using iplayer and i now need to buy a TV license.

I don't have a TV at my home and registered as not having one with them.

Do i still need a license even though i'm using iplayer when i'm at my parents whom have a license already?

Soldato
Received an email from them saying they've noticed i've been using iplayer and i now need to buy a TV license.

I don't have a TV at my home and registered as not having one with them.

Do i still need a license even though i'm using iplayer when i'm at my parents whom have a license already?
You’re covered. If the device is plugged into the mains its covered in a property that already has a licence be it friends or family. You did charge the device while using it right :)

If you are watching solely powered by internal batteries you need your own licence.

Associate
You’re covered. If the device is plugged into the mains its covered in a property that already has a licence be it friends or family. You did charge the device while using it right :)

If you are watching solely powered by internal batteries you need your own licence.

Is this a thing?

Yeah i believe it was using iplayer on a firestick.

Soldato
Is this a thing?

Yeah i believe it was using iplayer on a firestick.
A Firestick doesn't have a battery so you are 100% covered as long as your parents do have a valid licence.

Go to https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

Press the Expand button next to “Do I need a TV Licence to watch TV away from home?” and you get

“you plug your device into the mains, you’ll be covered if that property already has a TV Licence (e.g. you go to a friend’s house and they have a licence). Otherwise, you’ll need to buy a separate TV Licence for that property.

your device is not plugged in (i.e. you’re watching or recording live TV programmes on any channel, or downloading or watching BBC programmes on iPlayer, using devices powered solely by internal batteries) you will be covered by your home TV Licence.”

Back
Top Bottom