• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080ti second hand buying advice

Soldato
I've been after a new card for a while now and i'm thinking of upping my budget to take me in to 2nd hand 1080ti territory. I was wondering if someone could advise me on how much to pay, whether or not it matters if its an ex-mining card, which models to avoid (reliability issues or whatever) and any other general advice.

Thanks

Soldato
Search the MM for guide prices.
Unless you know the history of the card you will just have to take the seller's word for it that the card hasn't been mined on.
Try to find one with a decent amount of warranty left - some models come with a 5 year warranty.

Associate
h
Search the MM for guide prices.
Unless you know the history of the card you will just have to take the seller's word for it that the card hasn't been mined on.
Try to find one with a decent amount of warranty left - some models come with a 5 year warranty.
how do you search the members market??????????????

Soldato
We can't do price checks on the forum, but how much you should pay = how much do you think the performance is worth? :)

As for mining, depends on the miner to be fair. If they've got a photo if the card running in the mining rig and it's well spaced it should be fine.
Mining with the cards vertical may help with fan wear and tear, compared to being in a standard case and mounted horizontally as fans are more likely to start to fail or make noises in that orientation as it adds an extra dimension of force to the fan. Based on my own experience of fans on GPUS and case fans. As an example, identical fans on the top of a PC case blowing up and out generally wear out before the fan on the rear. :)

Overall mined card and gamed only cards will be of similar quality if the owner looks after them. Fan wear and tear can just be luck of the draw. So far none of my mining cards has had a problem.

NB: I am I miner so may be biased, but I'm also a gamer and have had just as many gaming only cards as mining cards over the years.

Soldato
You want to pay somewhere between £350-£500 depending on warranty, make, model and date of purchase.

Blower types = £350-£380
basic card with basic after market cooler £380-£400
more top end models £400-£500 depending on how much warranty left.
EVGA king pin edition will go for £550-£600 because they are the best cards.

dont worry about buying a mining card if it has good amount of warranty remaining and from EVGA ideally or the rest i mention below.

I would personally look for EVGA, GIGABYTE , ASUS and MSI only because these companies allow 2nd buyer to claim warranty, ie claim warranty without receipt. EVGA now want proof of purchase by second buyer after march 2018, so double check. The rest will do warranty from date of manufacture of the card so determining warranty could be tricky. Even if you have receipt they will not service warranty from date of purchase as that is only valid for original purchaser of the product not you. Apart from EVGA that is, they are happy to give you warranty from either date of manufacture or purchase if it was registered by the original owner but in order for them to give you warranty, they want to see proof that you bought the card of this person as far as i understand.

STAY away from PALIT, ZOTAC and the rest as their warranty is through the shop where it was purchased and they will only deal with the original purchaser, unless you are willing to impersonate that person( which is illegal) or you are come to some kind or warranty arrangement with the person you purchase the card off. Palit make great cards but bad warranty. ZOTAC if my memory is correct is either 1 or 2 years through point of purchase and the remaining warranty through them online.

best way to find date of manufacture is to get the serial number and fire email to each respective company and ask them, they will tell you.

good luck.

Associate
I'm so torn right now, 1070 Ti is probably sweet spot for me. Power usage vs my actual use case...but interested in 1080Ti too just because they're a bargain really

Associate
You want to pay somewhere between £350-£500 depending on warranty, make, model and date of purchase.

Blower types = £350-£380
basic card with basic after market cooler £380-£400
more top end models £400-£500 depending on how much warranty left.
EVGA king pin edition will go for £550-£600 because they are the best cards.

dont worry about buying a mining card if it has good amount of warranty remaining and from EVGA ideally or the rest i mention below.

I would personally look for EVGA, GIGABYTE , ASUS and MSI only because these companies allow 2nd buyer to claim warranty, ie claim warranty without receipt. EVGA now want proof of purchase by second buyer after march 2018, so double check. The rest will do warranty from date of manufacture of the card so determining warranty could be tricky. Even if you have receipt they will not service warranty from date of purchase as that is only valid for original purchaser of the product not you. Apart from EVGA that is, they are happy to give you warranty from either date of manufacture or purchase if it was registered by the original owner but in order for them to give you warranty, they want to see proof that you bought the card of this person as far as i understand.

STAY away from PALIT, ZOTAC and the rest as their warranty is through the shop where it was purchased and they will only deal with the original purchaser, unless you are willing to impersonate that person( which is illegal) or you are come to some kind or warranty arrangement with the person you purchase the card off. Palit make great cards but bad warranty. ZOTAC if my memory is correct is either 1 or 2 years through point of purchase and the remaining warranty through them online.

best way to find date of manufacture is to get the serial number and fire email to each respective company and ask them, they will tell you.

good luck.

just to add, cards like my evga sc2 hybrid go for 600 on ebay currently. Madness

Soldato
OP
Has anyone ever bought a card off Gumtree before? There's a guy selling a ROG Strix 1080ti that he says is unused for £480. Sounds too good to be true, no? I'm a little nervous about spending that kind of money on a 2nd hand card so my preference would be to get one from a trusted OCUK member in the MM but none have come up recently.

Associate
Yup, I've both bought and sold GPUs off Gumtree before. You need to use your wits. If something looks too good to be true, ask questions. Why is it being sold? What was it used for? Where was it purchased from? When? Etc, etc...
Ask to see it working. Ask to see a receipt.

Usual second hand sales common sense, really

Soldato
The used market is great for anything up to a GTX 1070. I don't think it's worth spending more than that on a card without a warranty.

Imagine buying a 2080ti on gumtree and then you start having issues with it. Obviously that's an extreme case because the 1080ti doesn't have those issues but it's still a gamble. There's plenty of faulty GPUs on eBay so they do go wrong.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't ever spend that much without a warranty which is why that Asus intrigued me as the warranty is transferable as far as i know.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't ever spend that much without a warranty which is why that Asus intrigued me as the warranty is transferable as far as i know.

Asus warranty is through the place of purchase for the whole of the warranty period so only the original owner would be able to claim.

With EVGA the second owner is able to open a guest warranty so the warranty is transferable at the moment. There were rumours that this was going to end though meaning that the warranty would no longer be transferrable.

Gigabyte requires proof of purchase for warranty claims and we do have a rep on here to help when things go wrong.

Not sure about MSI but there have been good and very bad experiences posted on here.

Associate
£300 is the most I would chance on a second hand card and that would only be with EVGA.

I would just purchase a new card for the £500 or less instead which would be Vega 56, Vega 64, 1070ti, 1080 or 2070.

If you really needed 1080ti power then I would just bite the bullet and get a 2080.

Back
Top Bottom